Cross - Tubular vs Tubeless

Razors Edge

Listening to the Bike Store CX podcast which focuses on cross racing, they keep discussing building up tubulars for the race season.  When tubeless or even clinchers ? are mentioned, they generally breeze over it.  I've never entertained the idea of buying a set of tubulars for any reason, and am actually a bit shocked that non-pros would still be racing on tubulars.  Sure, at the older end of the racing age bracket, many of those folks probably know a lot about and are very comfortable with tubulars, but I would think even they would like the simpler tubeless options we now have. Seemingly, tire pressures would be the main or only reason to work from tubular (lowest), tubeless (pretty low), and clincher (not too low). I bet @No One has some in his fleet of bikes and has a reasonable explanation.

...tubular rims are lighter than either tubeless rims or clincher rims.  This is because of the required structure and reinforcement necessary to run tubeless or tubed clincher tyres.  There's not too many ways around it, and I presume that most cross racers prefer not to run plastic rims because they're expensive and easily damaged. And with a tubular tyre you can run them at lower pressures (good for cross), without as much risk of pinch flatting.  YOu can do that with tubeless, too, but you end up with a heavier tyre/rim combination, and it's rotating weight.

Anyway, the amateur cross people here who want tubular rims and tyres use this as their reason.  I personally h8 tubular tyres, but I would build and run the wheels for them if I were racing.  

23 hours ago, No One said:

...tubular rims are lighter than either tubeless rims or clincher rims.  This is because of the required structure and reinforcement necessary to run tubeless or tubed clincher tyres.  There's not too many ways around it, and I presume that most cross racers prefer not to run plastic rims because they're expensive and easily damaged. And with a tubular tyre you can run them at lower pressures (good for cross), without as much risk of pinch flatting.  YOu can do that with tubeless, too, but you end up with a heavier tyre/rim combination, and it's rotating weight.

Anyway, the amateur cross people here who want tubular rims and tyres use this as their reason.  I personally h8 tubular tyres, but I would build and run the wheels for them if I were racing.  

Weight weenies!

I need to review the possible lowest PSIs for various tubulars and tubeless.  If I had a pit crew and a mechanic, tubulars might be on a race bike, but man, they make no sense to me in a non-racing use.  

I find it interesting that tubeless is moving into pro road racing.  That makes sense only if it is judged equal or better than the tubulars they can afford to run and maintain, so the gap on the road is apparently about gone.

On 11/9/2018 at 3:14 PM, Razors Edge said:

Listening to the Bike Store CX podcast which focuses on cross racing, they keep discussing building up tubulars for the race season.  When tubeless or even clinchers ? are mentioned, they generally breeze over it.  I've never entertained the idea of buying a set of tubulars for any reason, and am actually a bit shocked that non-pros would still be racing on tubulars.  Sure, at the older end of the racing age bracket, many of those folks probably know a lot about and are very comfortable with tubulars, but I would think even they would like the simpler tubeless options we now have. Seemingly, tire pressures would be the main or only reason to work from tubular (lowest), tubeless (pretty low), and clincher (not too low). I bet @No One has some in his fleet of bikes and has a reasonable explanation.

Another benefit is in the event of a flat you can still ride a tubular into the pit.  Tubeless will most likely burp the tire.  That and there are still more tire options with tubular.  Tires are very course & condition specific and most top crossers have numerous tire options at their disposal.

The CX podcasts are fun listening.

Anywho I've never wanted to use tubular. Seems like a PITA, and there is no reason I personally would want to use them. Pro's...okay I can see that. I do like tubeless for my CX and fat though. But I will not tubeless the roadie.