Know any neighbours

shootingstar

So in Toronto, survey indicates approx. 60%+ know at least a neighbour...even if knowing is just hi and their name.  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/66-of-toronto-residents-only-know-a-few-neighbours-or-none-at-all-survey-shows-1.4894410

I did grow up on a street in a smaller city where we did know each other as neighbours well enough. We played with kids on street.  Primarily detached homes --mix of low-income (my family), middle class (bank manager, professor, police officer, insurance agent), rooming house with university students.  Looking back it was a healthy environment for children to grow up...mix of socio-economic backgrounds.

Since I have moved around in different cities, have tended to be careful who I wish to know as neighbours.  So far newest neighbours on our floor...are around my age or older.  Hence, quiet too. :)  One of them has a cute little poodle-terrier dog.  At any given time, our bldg. has at least 3-4 households that have a dog. 

So far our bldg. hasn't attracted party-hardy residents.

I live in a townhouse, so in my group of eight, I know all seven neighbors, except one of those is a new couple and I still haven't met or spoken to the wife :(  I'd say I range from very friendly to cordial with all of them, but only one do I speak to every couple days (usually about bikes or cars).  Beyond my group of homes, I know quite a bit more.  I have a dog, so you get to know the dog peeps - at a minimum by their dog - and I am on the neighborhood board so I know the more "mature" folks in the area.

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I live in a townhouse, so in my group of eight, I know all seven neighbors, except one of those is a new couple and I still haven't met or spoken to the wife :(  I'd say I range from very friendly to cordial with all of them, but only one do I speak to every couple days (usually about bikes or cars).  Beyond my group of homes, I know quite a bit more.  I have a dog, so you get to know the dog peeps - at a minimum by their dog - and I am on the neighborhood board so I know the more "mature" folks in the area.

We are in downtown in both cities.  Yea, dogs and children give excuses to meet others with same. :)  Downtown Vancouver has a ton of downtown residents in highrises with dogs.  You see them on elevators and walking dog in the city core parks/pathways...which are also with visitors/tourists and others.  Occasionally one sees paid dog walkers since they would have 4-5 different dogs on leashes in 2 hands...and usually on park pathways.  There are defined dog park areas nearby.  

In my condo bldg. here in prairie city, I've know a few here and there who like myself, also lived in Vancouver or Toronto.  I wouldn't say that's typical because there are enough long-time prairie-all-their-lives residents I've met ...though that is getting less and less these days.  Compared to ie. 15 yrs. ago.

Most of them. ..or at least I thought I did. I've known Val since she was 15 years old. Last year about this time we were with Val she was celebrating 5 years of sobriety but earlierthis year she fell off the wagon and started using and selling heroin. 

This was the same neighbor that would make me a little birthday cake on my birthday. 

Screenshot_2018-11-09-20-58-38.thumb.png.08a6ccd8d48c0505f317ab9a0e2b4369.png,

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, BR46 said:

Most of them. ..or at least I thought I did. I've known Val since she was 15 years old. Last year about this time we were with Val she was celebrating 5 years of sobriety but earlierthis year she fell off the wagon and started using and selling heroin. 

This was the same neighbor that would make me a little birthday cake on my birthday. 

Screenshot_2018-11-09-20-58-38.thumb.png.08a6ccd8d48c0505f317ab9a0e2b4369.png,

This might be a factor for whatever hesitation there is to get to know your neighbors. :(

7 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

This might be a factor for whatever hesitation there is to get to know your neighbors. :(

I feel sorry for her husband. He is nice, hard working, in the National Guard. Comes home from a few weeks in the guard and 2 or 3 days later his wife gets arrested.

• Sad 1

I've lived here for over 30 years and only two of my half dozen or so neighbors are still around.  The lady next door and the one across the street were here when we moved in.  We still watch after each other/take care of pets and homes when others are away.

Up the street a ways is a neighbor who moved in early this year that might be interesting.  The house is strange, with no windows on the street side, an indoor swimming pool and now, monster trucks up on blocks out front with their engines pulled out. I'll post if I ever meet them.  :popcorn:

Near the end of the street are some mini castles.  One gentleman is a very elderly retired lawyer.  I've met him when I walk up that way.  He seems pleasant but distant from the rest of the world as he's in his upper 80's and a sole survivor of his family.  There's a street that turns off of mine that has been developed into a series of McMansions with business professionals.  I know nothing about any of them other than the fact that too many drive by my house and blind hill top at 50+ in a 25 zone.  I expect someday to be able to write about a horrible accident, hopefully not mine.

Where we live now we really don’t have neighbors. We do know many people on our road although they live 2 miles either side of us. 

Although the house I grew up in wasn’t right in town, we knew everyone in our little town of about 400.