So, how have you made your sofa sleeper more comfy?

MoseySusan

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

Does she complain about the mattress or you tried it and didn’t like it? Kids can sleep on anything and not complain, adults need comfort. Sofa beds are not made for comfort.

She’ll be here for Thanksgiving. So, you’re suggesting to leave it as is. She can sleep on whatever. It’s a three inch inner coil mattress. But it’s really squishy. 

Unpossible. These things suck. I have two in my apt and I can't figure out which one sucks less. The only one I have used that was comfortable had a memory foam mattress on it. It was a leather couch with a memory foam mattress that folded out. It was made by a Scandinavian company. Probably uber expensive, but it was awesome.

18 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I would say a topper would be nice.  It's the crossbars that are a problem.  If you can set it up for the entire time and not collapse it, maybe put something between the crossbars and the mattress.

Personally, I have never had a good night on a fold out.

I don’t feel the crossbars on it. It feels like sleeping on a canvas cot with a squishy mattress. 

I would definitely agree with Longjohn, kids can sleep on anything and not notice.  That said, I imagine that other guests might eventually visit who are adults, and I agree that adults below 60 or so should be able to make do for a few days on a fold-out.

I also agree with DH, who generally seems the most sensible person on the forum in most matters except the evil nature of grains, a nice memory foam topper from Costco or the like will be inexpensive and greatly enhance the comfort.  A different folding mattress would be like adding a small portion of better quality dog food to a larger portion of Purina and expecting your dogs to think it is steak.  It is not steak, and never will be steak.  Besides, nobody sleeps on steak.

My advice?  Go to Costco and get a memory foam topper for adults if you have to.  If it is for a young child, save the money to use on fun entertainment instead, suffering builds character.

• Heart 1

We’ve been using air mattresses and camp mattresses. I wanted a sofa in my room, and it seemed like no thing to just get one with a bed. 

I bought cute sheets with sheep on them and a very fluffy blanket. 

mr. wants to shop for a mattress topper. 

• Envious 1

6 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Sleeper sofa's weigh a ton.  Not fun to move.

working my way through Skrool a couple days a week I was on a furniture truck delivering. Guys I was with were pro's. Learned lots of tricks. But we would always groan with the Sleep Sofa. Because it was always an old building. Small elevator, small doorways. And the salesman always forgot to put on the order. It's an exchange!!!! B*stard