MIL Mini Rant

ChrisL

So MIL wanted to go to this particular restaurant she likes. Plates are $25 - $35 on average.  She kept saying the BIL will like it, we should take him there. We all tried to talk her into a less expensive place.  Whine whine and whine some more and we relent and go. I'm stewing on the drive over, here's a $300 meal for 7 of us...

So we eat and the bill arrives. the waitress hands it to me and so I slide it to her. Your choice your bill.  She looks at the bill, $280 and freaks. I can't pay this!!!!! The best part is WOChrisL and BIL didn't say a word, they just talked between themselves and didn't bail her out.

The bill sat on the table untouched  for 10 minutes or so so WOChrisL takes it, BIL covers for her and his meal and it's all good. We're hoping maybe she got the point but  I'm guessing she'll try to worm another expensive meal out of us before she leaves.

• Heart 3

36 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

So MIL wanted to go to this particular restaurant she likes. Plates are $25 - $35 on average.  She kept saying the BIL will like it, we should take him there. We all tried to talk her into a less expensive place.  Whine whine and whine some more and we relent and go. I'm stewing on the drive over, here's a $300 meal for 7 of us...

So we eat and the bill arrives. the waitress hands it to me and so I slide it to her. Your choice your bill.  She looks at the bill, $280 and freaks. I can't pay this!!!!! The best part is WOChrisL and BIL didn't say a word, they just talked between themselves and didn't bail her out.

The bill sat on the table untouched  for 10 minutes or so so WOChrisL takes it, BIL covers for her and his meal and it's all good. We're hoping maybe she got the point but  I'm guessing she'll try to worm another expensive meal out of us before she leaves.

Too bad MIL, constantly creates this worry for family restaurant meals.  Yea, sometimes siblings have to figure out their own plots.  Does she feel she's "owed" something or is a queen of the family...?  My 84+ yr. old mother is the opposite...checking out the prices for a good deal.  Ok, Mom. Don't go overboard.  She actually likes paying which we don't like because she doesn't have that much money compared to us working.

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

The point she got is that she got away with it again and thinks she always will.  I don't know her, but I hate her.

If I know someone else will be paying, I don't suggest expensive places, and if I get taken to one anyway, I generally get something midrangey or a little less, and certainly no appetizers or drinks.  

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Does she feel she's "owed" something or is a queen of the family...?  

She's a self centered me first person.  After divorce #1 she pretty much left my wife to raise her baby brother while she went out looking for husband #2.  To this point #3 will probably be an ex #3 before too long as he's sick of her.

I would comment here how she would eat my sons candy or yell at my son not to eat her cake or etc.  I've never ever known a Grandmother take food from a grandchild or refuse them anything. 

She tried to get a lunch out on us today (everyone is bustleing about getting ready for the wedding).  My wife freaking went off on her.  BIL took her out....

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

She's a self centered me first person.  After divorce #1 she pretty much left my wife to raise her baby brother while she went out looking for husband #2.  To this point #3 will probably be an ex #3 before too long as he's sick of her.

I would comment here how she would eat my sons candy or yell at my son not to eat her cake or etc.  I've never ever known a Grandmother take food from a grandchild or refuse them anything. 

She tried to get a lunch out on us today (everyone is bustleing about getting ready for the wedding).  My wife freaking went off on her.  BIL took her out....

I am guessing she doesn't cook.  If she does, can you tell her that you are all busy and that you can cook for us whilst we do other things?

38 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

The point she got is that she got away with it again and thinks she always will.  I don't know her, but I hate her.

If I know someone else will be paying, I don't suggest expensive places, and if I get taken to one anyway, I generally get something midrangey or a little less, and certainly no appetizers or drinks.  

She wanted to go dress shoooing yesterday as she really wasn't that happy with her dress. "Can we look at Nordstoms, we don't have them near me".  Sure but I'm not buying you a dress at Nordstroms...

Apparently Shell live with the dress she brought...  This is my MIL...

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I am guessing she doesn't cook.  If she does, can you tell her that you are all busy and that you can cook for us whilst we do other things?

She can cook and is a good cook at home and is different when we are with her.  She just tries to screw us financially when she's with us.  

When #3 dumps her ass she'll be flat ass broke too.