Cheat day

late

SIl has a birthday today, and picked a nice restaurant. They were doing brunch, but I just wanted a basic breakfast, 2 eggs, bacon, tates and toast.

These were the best home fries I've had in 25 years, give or take. I had rasberry jam, nicely tart, on the toast. It was wonderful to eat like a human again.

• Heart 2

8 hours ago, roadsue said:

What do non-humans eat?

My usual breakfast goes like this, 2 eggs fried in a bunch of coconut oil, a little pink salt. In Keto, you get most of your calories from fat.

But to give a more direct answer, I can't drink coffee. I couldn't tell you the last time I had pancakes. I have maple syrup in the fridge, it's been untouched for maybe a year.

I used to have toast with breakfast, lunch was usually a sandwich, the wife loves pasta, wheat is gone. No rolls, no bread, no pie crusts, no popovers, no pizza, I can keep going...

Just now, Longjohn said:

Our non-humans eat kat kibble that comes in 44 pound bags. They also eat any old meat and fish that has been in the freezer too long. I don’t even bother to cook it for them. Last week they had venison and buffalo. 

Of course,  You never throw old meat out.  A little freezer burn doesn't make the dogs not want it.

• Awesome 1

7 hours ago, late said:

My usual breakfast goes like this, 2 eggs fried in a bunch of coconut oil, a little pink salt. In Keto, you get most of your calories from fat.

But to give a more direct answer, I can't drink coffee. I couldn't tell you the last time I had pancakes. I have maple syrup in the fridge, it's been untouched for maybe a year.

I used to have toast with breakfast, lunch was usually a sandwich, the wife loves pasta, wheat is gone. No rolls, no bread, no pie crusts, no popovers, no pizza, I can keep going...

Is Keto keeping its promises? 

My kidneys are functioning at less than optimal levels after years of non-human eating. Order have been to drink a lot more water and eat less, mostly plants. 

23 minutes ago, roadsue said:

Is Keto keeping its promises? 

My kidneys are functioning at less than optimal levels after years of non-human eating. Order have been to drink a lot more water and eat less, mostly plants. 

Keto works, but I have been eating more carbs than I should.  I haven't been doing full Keto, which is 30gr of carbs/day. I've been eating 2 to 3 times that. Which worked for the first 20 pounds, but isn't now.

You could do something like that, it's not hard on the body, and the stress would be more on the liver, than the kidney. Actually, there is a lot of water in fat cells, and you pee a lot, which ought to be good for your kidneys. Ask your Doc, but that's my 2 cents.

The thing that people screw up on is electrolytes. Anything water soluble gets pissed out from all that peeing. So you need salt, pink Himalayan is the stuff to get. Trader Joes has it. You also need more potassium and vitamins, but they aren't as important as the salt. I add just a dash of coconut water to get potassium. I was adding it to cranberry juice, but I've given up juice, so I need to put it in tea or soup or something.

• Awesome 1

I cheated today also.. I drove a car instead of my motorcycle because I needed to get a bunch of stuff from Sam's Club. I feel horrible so not riding my motorcycle to the store, but how would I have gotten the oversized Flintstone rack of meat home on the bike.....  

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, Dottles said:

I had a big ass tiramisu slice tonight.  First cheat in 3 1/2 months.  Oh my.

Funny you should mention Tiramisu, a dessert I don't think I had ever heard of before last week!

My cousin, married into an Italian-American family, mentioned tiramisu to me and I didn't know of this concoction of layers of lady fingers briefly-soaked-in-coffee (often with liquor like kahlua, wine, brandy or cognac added), between layers of mascarpone cream and dusted with cocoa. I'm going to find a place that sells it locally and try it soon but I also researched the recipe and might also make it myself, maybe a small, dry-run then two big tiramisus in 12" x 9" disposable lasagna pans using the easy recipe below, leaving out the booze, to take to our extend-Family Thanksgiving and/or Christmas Dinner.

Here's an easy recipe claiming 10 minutes of prep time that subs heavy whipping cream instead of whipping eggs and sugar and milk from scratch and you have to refrigerate it for just "3 to 4 hours or overnight."  That works for me!

https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/easy-tiramisu/

Otherwise you have to: "Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water (do not let the bowl touch the water) until the sugar dissolves. Slowly whisk in the milk..." etc.

Here's a from-scratch "authentic" recipe, which includes a short video:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/tiramisu-recipe-21316314

Easy version:

1447350864_TiramisuEasy1.thumb.jpg.cd2e5d4d530671d2f3b77b62ecfa5639.jpg208311865_TiramisuEasy2.thumb.jpg.2386925977b5b68b0f4565ab39d94dc6.jpg

From Scratch Version, including Shaved Chocolate on top:

1989920306_TiramisuFromScratch.jpeg.c6bfc4850cec5d6265b0540721a47d6c.jpeg

• Heart 1