Why is Robert the Bruce "the Bruce"?

Randomguy

Robert was from the Scottish clan "Bruce."  It's sort of a last name.  It would be like saying Donald the Trump or Mila the Kunis or Joe the on-the-way-out Flacco.

A quick Google turns up: "(Scottish Gaelic: Brùs) is a Scottish clan from Kincardine in Scotland. It was a royal house in the 14th century, producing two kings of Scotland and a disputed High King of Ireland, Edward Bruce.

47 minutes ago, No One said:

...it was to distinguish him from Robert the Duck, another Scottish popular hero.

How very dare you.....there was never...I say never....a Robert the Duck. ?

Touch not our proud history you naughty person......I can feel in my water that you're destined for a very hot place....oh yes.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Robert was from the Scottish clan "Bruce."  It's sort of a last name.  It would be like saying Donald the Trump or Mila the Kunis or Joe the on-the-way-out Flacco.

A quick Google turns up: "(Scottish Gaelic: Brùs) is a Scottish clan from Kincardine in Scotland. It was a royal house in the 14th century, producing two kings of Scotland and a disputed High King of Ireland, Edward Bruce.

Yes, he was of Norman/Gaelic heritage as far as I can make out.

11 hours ago, No One said:

...is this what it's like there in Scotland on a daily basis ? Where can I buy some plaid tights like those ?

Indeed it is......and not a day goes by and the scene you show is repeated daily at my local Grocer shop. As for tights......dear me no.... and a thousand times no....for I have seen your legs Sweetpants.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1