Is your pocket smarter than you?

jsharr

6 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I wish I could remember knots.  I learn one and think, "What a great knot.  I will use this knot often from now on!"

Then a couple weeks later, I'm tying granny knots again.  :(

Knots are good.  My go to knot is the bowline, but I can tie most of the basic ones.  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Knots are good.  My go to knot is the bowline, but I can tie most of the basic ones.  

My father was in the Navy back when they still had to learn all the knots.  He thought me some basics and enforced their use.  My go to's are bowline, double half-hitch and square knot.  With those three you can survive just about all needs.

The bowline is fun to tie.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

My father was in the Navy back when they still had to learn all the knots.  He thought me some basics and enforced their use.  My go to's are bowline, double half-hitch and square knot.  With those three you can survive just about all needs.

I had to learn to tie it left handed.  I made up a way to tie it that is very simple.  I should record it and post it.

We use lots of different, but mostly nautical knots.  I like being able to tie and not look like a lubber in front of nautical old salts.  I could still get better though as they are perishable skills.

I used to be able to tie a one handed bowline with the line around your back and tied int he front but I am not sure if I could do it now.  A firefighter showed it to me, it was a fun one

• Heart 1

17 hours ago, Kzoo said:

I had to learn a bunch of them in the navy.  I still use quite a few of them.  

17 hours ago, jsharr said:

I had to learn to tie it left handed.  I made up a way to tie it that is very simple.  I should record it and post it.

What were you doing with your right hand?