Jump to content

Hot sauce is good on everything


Road Runner
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

This morning I was having some whole wheat toast with butter.  Pretty bland stuff.  I put some hot sauce on it.  It became colorful and extremely tasty!  

What strange and/or exotic use have you found for hot sauce?  :)

I love hot sauce, but never thought to put it on toast and butter, because toast and butter tastes awesome to me.  Maybe you are not putting enough butter on it?  I also add preserves of some sort to if just butter isn't enough.

That said, lots of things that have sounded weird or plain wrong to me at first actually go well together, so I will try it next time I have toastables.

Sesame seeds as a pizza topping, for one, and asparagus as a pizza topping is another.  Both just really work.  I also LOVE hot sauce on pizza!

  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got tired of hot sauces, truth be told. So what I do is put something in the dish, or make something with hotness to put on it.

Szeged hot paprika is really good. You should try Aleppo pepper, Aji Limon (only if it's grown in south america), the frutescens (sp) hot pepper varieties, and Chimayo hot peppers.

 

https://www.amazon.com/Szeged-Paprika-Seasoning-Spice-Ounce/dp/B000LRG0W4/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1542126548&sr=8-5&keywords=szeged+paprika

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Is there something it doesn’t go on? I’m not a fan of siracha, but everything from Tabasco to Frank’s Red Hot to Ghost Pepper sauce is fair game to me. 

yeah, I do not understand the whole siracha thing.  That stuff is not good.
 

Right now Cholula is my go to sauce, followed by Franks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Ling Cod and scallops.  They are both such delicate (light) flavours that the hot sauce would just over power it.

Hot sauce is also not good on contact lenses.  Trust me

I used to grow hot peppers. Chopping a bunch of hot peppers does not always do good things to a marriage...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish I could tolarate spicy-hot seasonings: even medium salsa is too hot for me.  I didn't get my mother's genes there.

My brother was going to play a trick on her and slipped her suicide wings once and she devoured one after another. My brother was angry, saying the sub shop must have screwed up the order.  He grabbed a wing, took a bite and headed straight for the sink!  Meanwhile, mom kept chewing away and had clue what all the fuss was about.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

Ling Cod and scallops.  They are both such delicate (light) flavours that the hot sauce would just over power it.

Hot sauce is also not good on contact lenses.  Trust me

I made Thai with habaneros once. Washed my hands repeatedly throughout the night. Took out my contacts and rediscovered the oils. Wanted to pour milk into my eyes.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use siracha on Asian influenced dishes and hot sauce in a lot of other stuff.  Cholula is my go to right now.  

One of my all time favorite uses of hot sauce is on a soft boiled egg. I peel it, bite the top off and then give the yolk a few shakes of Cholula and eat the rest.

  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

One of my all time favorite uses of hot sauce is on a soft boiled egg. I peel it, bite the top off and then give the yolk a few shakes of Cholula and eat the rest.

That’s how I eat a hard boiled egg (Tabasco or Franks, usually). A soft boiled would ooze yolk all over, if I am interepreting your approach correctly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

http://nymag.com/strategist/article/best-hot-sauce-reviews.html

 

I kept poking around, and I think I like this list even better

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/02/kenjis-favorite-hot-sauces-chili-pepper.html

I used to use a Mexican hot sauce that had cascabel peppers, haven't seen it in a while. Dat'l Do it is worth a try. Melindas gets mentioned a lot, can't say I am a fan. Lacks any real style.

3449__39422.1516007020.500.750.jpg?c=2

 

https://www.hotsauce.com/blairs-death-rain-habanero-seasoning/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

My gut tells me this hot sauce popularity on all sorts of food....is a guy thing unless it's already part of a dish for decades/centuries.

My mom and sisters would put sambal (hot chili paste) on many dishes. You are probably correct but Indo women do eat lots of hot sauce.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

My gut tells me this hot sauce popularity on all sorts of food....is a guy thing unless it's already part of a dish for decades/centuries.

Yes and no, and maybe.  

I think guys will test limits in all sorts of areas a bit more than the chicks do when young, and you try a hot sauce or two and decide that you like this sort of thing.  Then you dare a buddy or he goads you, and you get something hotter, then the mild stuff doesn't satisfy you any longer and you go hotter again.  All because of a bit of adventure to see where the less beaten path will lead you.

Anyway, as you get more experienced with the hot stuff, you realize that heat often does not equal flavor, and you end up scaling back to some sauces that have the flavors you like best.  Then you realize that you use one more than all the others combined, and then you realize that it is pretty stupid to have 8 bottles of hot sauce when you could just have a few (or fewer) and you would rather spend that hot sauce money on condoms because you used your favorite condom too many times and you are worried that it will rip or something.

It is like young college chicks turning up their noses at beer in a way, you gotta explore.  If you don't explore, you will never really understand flavors or complex things.  The moral of the story is that if you don't venture early, you probably won't ever understand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I learned real quick to wear rubber gloves when chopping hot peppers.

My mom grew peppers and made her own hot chili paste (sambal) with shrimp paste, vinegar, other seasonings and a crap ton of chili's.  Your eyes would water when you came in the house when she made it.  She also had a special mortar & pestle for sambal making.

  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ChrisL said:

My mom grew peppers and made her own hot chili paste (sambal) with shrimp paste, vinegar, other seasonings and a crap ton of chili's.  Your eyes would water when you came in the house when she made it.  She also had a special mortar & pestle for sambal making.

Mmmm, peppers!  I love to roast them in the house and fill the house with that smell when the wife is oot for a while :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Yes and no, and maybe.  

I think guys will test limits in all sorts of areas a bit more than the chicks do when young, and you try a hot sauce or two and decide that you like this sort of thing.  Then you dare a buddy or he goads you, and you get something hotter, then the mild stuff doesn't satisfy you any longer and you go hotter again.  All because of a bit of adventure to see where the less beaten path will lead you.

Anyway, as you get more experienced with the hot stuff, you realize that heat often does not equal flavor, and you end up scaling back to some sauces that have the flavors you like best.  Then you realize that you use one more than all the others combined, and then you realize that it is pretty stupid to have 8 bottles of hot sauce when you could just have a few (or fewer) and you would rather spend that hot sauce money on condoms because you used your favorite condom too many times and you are worried that it will rip or something.

It is like young college chicks turning up their noses at beer in a way, you gotta explore.  If you don't explore, you will never really understand flavors or complex things.  The moral of the story is that if you don't venture early, you probably won't ever understand.

I highlighted the purple text.  I consider my palate very broad and exploratory compared to other people who I eat at the table with.  This includes my own family:  I do eat far spicier food with less discomfort and with enjoyment.  

I guess I'm a person that does enjoy a fresh nice egg purely for its what it is without throwing/masking it with hot sauce or worse, ketchup. (I don't understand this North American habit ..ketchup on a lot of stuff. Why cover up good food that's properly cooked/seasoned?  A bunch of women at work thought I was unusual because we never buy/keep ketchup at home.)  I throw on hot sauce only for certain things.  I do put in sambal when stir frying certain dishes..it's a very light kick.  I also appreciate properly cooked "naked" dishes that show off the food's freshness ie. steamed fish in soy sauce and oil, with green onion and ginger root.  One doesn't throw on hot sauce because that would mask the fish delicacy. 

Just let me know if you've eaten bitter melon, winter melon, sea cucumber, use dried tiger lily buds, etc.  I love conch, periwinkles (which are fussy to eat), a long time ago. I had abalone several times before it became endangered species, etc.  We can't gauge a person's breadth of their palate just on hot spicey tastes.  No Jicama is not as tasty as daikon and water chestnuts.

After all, myself and siblings didn't know all the time what we were eating or what the English word was..as children.  So we started early in life..  :)  

I do eat with women friends who enjoy trying a lot of stuff but have noticed there is a spicy limit where tolerance seems to erode with age. (Half of my friends are non-white.)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

I don't understand this North American habit ..ketchup on a lot of stuff

Not all of us do this, I don't have any at home.  I do like it on burgers if I am having a standard pub burger or somesuch, but not if I am having a really good burger, though.  Catsup is good on fries, though.

I am with you on the eggs, though, I find this very perplexing.  That said, some people eat a few eggs every day, so I think experimenting with green chili or hot sauce is a reasonable thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Just let me know if you've eaten bitter melon, winter melon, sea cucumber, use dried tiger lily buds, etc.  I love conch, periwinkles (which are fussy to eat), a long time ago. I had abalone several times before it became endangered species, etc.  We can't gauge a person's breadth of their palate just on hot spicey tastes.  No Jicama is not as tasty as daikon and water chestnuts.

After all, myself and siblings didn't know all the time what we were eating or what the English word was..as children.  So we started early in life..  :)  

I do eat with women friends who enjoy trying a lot of stuff but have noticed there is a spicy limit where tolerance seems to erode with age. (Half of my friends are non-white.)

 

Yes to everything noted but periwinkles.  I think the important thing is not to food shame anyone. Ketchup on eggs, if it makes you happy go for it. Slather everything in hot sauce, if it floats your boat why not...

 I'm going to eat tofu, others don't have to eat it and that's fine but don't judge or give others grief for what they do or don't eat. (no accusations, just a general comment).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...