Envy chain

MoseySusan

Yesterday, I was chatting with a resident who is about 70..and works out all the time..Holding her own with muscle..and thin...(taller than me too)..and as we were talking about working out..I said I though my legs were in pretty good shape..and..well obviously she has been watching..cos she said "Oh yeah your legs are fantastic!"..... Somehow we gotta learn that WE are fantastic...how we are built....and get away from the body envy...

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

Meanwhile my daughter is looking at girls on the instagram.  She actually asked "Mom, is there a way that I can make my legs skinnier?"  My son is 13 and looks at his abs in the mirror every day.  

Strong is where it’s at. 

4 hours ago, roadsue said:

Strong is where it’s at. 

I know, and I keep telling her that.  She is not fat, not at all.  She has big muscular legs.  But the girls that you see in the magazines and the instagram have little skinny legs.  Ugh.  Why did I have to have a girl?

2 hours ago, 2Far said:

I take off my glasses so I don't inadvertently go into the vacant stare mode.

I was thinking about wearing dark sunglasses so at least they don't know that I'm looking at them.

I try to not be that creepy old dude who is looking at women younger than his daughters. I fail. Often.

• Heart 1

47 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I know, and I keep telling her that.  She is not fat, not at all.  She has big muscular legs.  But the girls that you see in the magazines and the instagram have little skinny legs.  Ugh.  Why did I have to have a girl?

Remind her that she has the body she needs, and those other girls have the body they need. Em is a champion baller; she needs *her* legs, not someone else's.

There are strong, active girls in magazines and on Instagram.

The person I was watching in the gym had depth to her lunges that I don't have anymore because of hip joint pain, but her legs were strong, not skinny.

I wouldn't even know what to do with skinny legs on a bicycle. I have hills to climb!  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

9 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

parr8head, tell your daughter that this young lady on the left, my niece is now 16 yrs old. Look at the width of shoulders.  It's wider than her older 2 brothers who are in long sleeved dress shirts. Because she is a competitive gymnast.  She competes in regional competitions in Ontario.  Been at it for past 5 years.  Her speciality is parallel bars, floor routines, where she does a running leap across the mats to do handsprings, backward flips, etc.  

Her brothers played ice hockey, soccer for several years.

Her whole body is very strong and of course, her upper body strength...

This summer she taught little tykes simple gymnastics....5 -8 yrs. old. as her part-time job. :)  Right now, she plucked her eyebrows (photo taken last yr.)... She has long thick hair right down to her bum which must be pulled out of the way during her training. Those things plus probably her awareness she is fit, are her concessions to feminity.   She trains 3 hrs. each day, 5 days a wk.  She starts at 5:00 am on some days.

What I like about my niece, she is of course wants to be feminine like a lot of girls.... but hasn't going overboard trying to look chicked up/ton of makeup.  She doesn't wear high heels yet.  SHe seems comfortable in low shoes/ballet shoes.

1065470344_IMG_7617AA2.thumb.jpg.5199efc1fd035286bfec024af9c8deba.jpg

• Heart 2

BTW, this was Emmy a few nights ago. In grey. She is 11 years old  5’1” and 130#   She is 3 inches shorter than her older brother but out weighs him by 15 lbs.  this is far from a problem for me, I’m super proud.  I’m just trying to make sure that she comprehends that the scale is simply a number.  She is beautiful, strong and fierce.  And solid muscle.  0F526FD6-2328-4DC6-922F-A5B081D734AB.thumb.jpeg.eabce5a4ed7904ff4b07f8fad6365c2b.jpeg

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

44 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

BTW, this was Emmy a few nights ago. In grey. She is 11 years old  5’1” and 130#   She is 3 inches shorter than her older brother but out weighs him by 15 lbs.  this is far from a problem for me, I’m super proud.  I’m just trying to make sure that she comprehends that the scale is simply a number.  She is beautiful, strong and fierce.  And solid muscle.  0F526FD6-2328-4DC6-922F-A5B081D734AB.thumb.jpeg.eabce5a4ed7904ff4b07f8fad6365c2b.jpeg

Emmy is on the right, Parr8?  Being healthy is the main thing, and she is active.  not everyone who is healthy is thin.  I see that on the bike a lot.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

BTW, at our club fund raising ride on Nov 3 (The Heart of Arizona century, Phoenix Bull Shifters) there was also a 200k route by the AzBrevets, RUSA.  one of the randonneurs had on a RAIN jersey

One of these days!  That one’s on my bucket list. 

Just now, Parr8hed said:

One of these days!  That one’s on my bucket list. 

mine as well. I think it starts in Terre Haute ( I know I can Google the route) , and I grew up about 50 miles north of Terre Haute.  I retire next year, so that should give me more time.  I am still planning to ride the California Triple Crown rides, and heard of a couple more that I want to ride.  One was the Best of the Bay.  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

Haha!  Will do. (With all of her free time ?)

btw, I shared an online article from Bicycling magazine in FB. It concerned a woman who took up cyclocross. she thought she was too fat to race, but kept at it.  I think it was a good article on being healthy and not to worry too much about body image.

• Heart 2

At the gym this morning there was only one dreadmill left when I finished my workout. Wouldn’t you know there was a beautiful blonde in tights or yogurt pants or whatever you call them right in front of me. She could be a millionaire if she took up selling elliptical trainers. She is at the gym every morning and is really fit but she makes the elliptical look so easy.

• Heart 1

My entertainment at the gym today:  Guy, maybe 30, went to the Fly/Lat machine.  A little bit of weight, set the bars as far away from him as possible, then started ONETWOTHREEFOUR.... moving maybe 2 inches while swinging his head and body around, fast as he can,  When it got funny was the TENELEVENTWELVEmumbleEIGHTEENNINETTNmumbleTWENTY SIX.....  After about "30" 2 inch reps, up for a swagger walk.  He just kept going at it, same machine, contorting into all kinds of bizarre ways to misuse the machine.

After he finally got over it and it got quiet, I start hearing what sounds like a cross between a crying 12 year old girl and a cat in heat.  Yup, same dude, on a treadmill "running" as fast as he could.  I guess he was burning his quads.  Treadmills are his passion.

• Haha 1