I Assume Amazon HQ2 Was Always Coming

Razors Edge

...to Northern Virginia, and the addition of NYC is likewise a smart move.  I think it is interesting MD (also a DC suburb) didn't get the nod with their oversize incentive package, but maybe Amazon liked VA's slightly more corporate-friendly image. 

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what infrastructure the state has planned for Crystal City.  I never head down that way, but it is served by the Metro and also hosts an annual BIKE RACE!  Maybe Amazon will step up and sponsor the race :D

Sadly, for the rest of the contenders, it ends up being a "rich getting richer" event. 

1 hour ago, 2Far said:

Yeah, a $100k job doesn't go very far in those two area.

The claim is they're $150k jobs, and that actually goes pretty darn far anywhere in the country except San Fran - top 10% of all wage earners.  It actually is probably a blessing in some sense that higher income areas got the HQ, as it would create even greater income inequity in less wealthy areas.  Certainly, it would be nice if those new jobs ever actually get realized and at the salaries quoted, but I'm not sold on any of the hype, and will be amazed to see 50,000 (!) new jobs between the two locations and then the multiples of jobs created symbiotically.

I'm mostly hoping for the race and maybe a pro team sponsorship.

3 minutes ago, 2Far said:

When I was at the chemical plant, they used a 3 jobs created for every plant job. Of course, those jobs range from college professors, to car salesmen, to the waitresses at the Waffle House.

No team managers, soigneurs, domestiques, rouleurs, or grimpeurs?

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

...to Northern Virginia, and the addition of NYC is likewise a smart move.  I think it is interesting MD (also a DC suburb) didn't get the nod with their oversize incentive package, but maybe Amazon liked VA's slightly more corporate-friendly image. 

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what infrastructure the state has planned for Crystal City.  I never head down that way, but it is served by the Metro and also hosts an annual BIKE RACE!  Maybe Amazon will step up and sponsor the race :D

Sadly, for the rest of the contenders, it ends up being a "rich getting richer" event. 

Does the Navy still occupy Christal City?  My FIL was based out of there and my wife held summer jobs in college working for the navy there.  

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

No team managers, soigneurs, domestiques, rouleurs, or grimpeurs?

I remember when CSC with Jens Voight races (won?) there. Didn’t know they still did it.

people are super paranoid about housing prices going up with Amazon coming in. They worried about that here, and I’ve already heard concerns about rents going up in Crystal City area.

Just now, ChrisL said:

Does the Navy still occupy Christal City?  My FIL was based out of there and my wife held summer jobs in college working for the navy there.  

A LOT of assorted gov't jobs down there since it is near the Pentagon and near DC.  It is one reason I rarely go there (no need).  Other than driving through, the last time I was there was to meet my sister at her hotel prior to the Army 10 miler. Her old company (BAE) was sponsor, so she often got a chance to run for free.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

A LOT of assorted gov't jobs down there since it is near the Pentagon and near DC.  It is one reason I rarely go there (no need).  Other than driving through, the last time I was there was to meet my sister at her hotel prior to the Army 10 miler. Her old company (BAE) was sponsor, so she often got a chance to run for free.

I used to do traffic control for that event!  

Yeah I thought it was still mostly Govt there.  My FIL lived just a few blocks from there when he worked for the Navy.

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I remember when CSC with Jens Voight races (won?) there. Didn’t know they still did it.

people are super paranoid about housing prices going up with Amazon coming in. They worried about that here, and I’ve already heard concerns about rents going up in Crystal City area.

That was sort of my point in that it is lucky it came to already wealthy areas where $150k isn't some crazy salary.  Housing is already priced for folks making that sort of money, but it does press the lower incone folks for sure.

I think any growth - at Amazon or businesses created related to the HQ2 - will take place over a period of years, not weeks or months. Imagine if Amazon had stated HQ2 was going in the heart of coal country in WV.  No one would be worried about housing prices. They'd just be happy.

28 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

That was sort of my point in that it is lucky it came to already wealthy areas where $150k isn't some crazy salary.  Housing is already priced for folks making that sort of money, but it does press the lower incone folks for sure.

I think any growth - at Amazon or businesses created related to the HQ2 - will take place over a period of years, not weeks or months. Imagine if Amazon had stated HQ2 was going in the heart of coal country in WV.  No one would be worried about housing prices. They'd just be happy.

As a home owner, I was praying that Amazon would come to PGH and drive property values up. I’m not going to buy another house in the region, and a super competitive market would be great in retirement!

2 minutes ago, Dottles said:

There's talk at this end that Long Island City and you guys will pull workers out of Seattle and force our home prices to drop. Good for those buying but tougher for those of us selling.

It will depend, for sure, if Amazon tries to relocate employees or if they are just growth positions.  As ever, it is a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" sort of thing.  When they stay solely in Seattle, you all bitch about home prices and traffic. When they "hear" you and spread their footprint, all of a sudden they are depressing home values and sending jobs elsewhere :D

43 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It will depend, for sure, if Amazon tries to relocate employees or if they are just growth positions.  As ever, it is a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" sort of thing.  When they stay solely in Seattle, you all bitch about home prices and traffic. When they "hear" you and spread their footprint, all of a sudden they are depressing home values and sending jobs elsewhere :D

I don't bitch about them. Boeing has way more employees and the employees of suppliers than puny Amazon. I blame those fockers. ?