Do you leave your Ferrari unlocked with the keys in the ignition?

Road Runner

If so, you may receive a free Suburban.   :)

Texas thief steals $300,000 Ferrari, leaves Suburban behind

by Bob D’Angelo, Cox Media Group National Content Desk

The Ferrari GTC4Lusso T retails for about $300,000.(Ferrari)

A Texas thief stole a $300,000 Ferrari that was parked in the driveway of a suburban Dallas home, but left his damaged Chevrolet Suburban at the scene, WFAA reported.

The owner of the car -- a white, 2018 Ferrari GTC4Lusso T -- said his car was parked in the driveway on the side of the home, unlocked and with the keys still inside the vehicle, when it was stolen Nov. 4, The Dallas Morning News reported. There also was about $2,000 of pain medication in the car, the owner told police.

The Ferrari, which can reach speeds of 199 mph, was recovered Monday, Lt. Lance Koppa, a Highland Park Department of Public Safety spokesman, told the newspaper.

Police found an open beer can in the console of the Suburban, and the SUV had damage on the right front and back quarters of the vehicle, WFAA reported. A police report said the SUV was registered to a man in Fort Worth, but did not say if the owner was a suspect, the television station reported.

The Suburban was impounded by police, the Morning News reported.

My boss is a lifelong friend.  He used to import gray market euro spec cars.  His own car was a Euro spec Ferrari 308 GTSi.   He always left it unlocked as he would rather have a thief open the car and take what he wanted than damage the car.

We took a trip to Padre Island in that car for Spring Break.   We had an RV, my El Camino and his Ferrari.  Some of the guys took my El Camino to Mexico, so I was driving his Ferrari.  The ignition had been sticking and the key was bent and had a crack in it.  I went to start the car and the key broke off.    He had a lock smith drill the ignition and we used a screw driver to start the car for the rest of that trip. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

He always left it unlocked as he would rather have a thief open the car and take what he wanted than damage the car.

We just had a local news story on TV here about repeated car break-ins in Va Beach.  One of the residents said many people in his neighborhood have taken to always cleaning their cars out and leaving them unlocked to avoid all the broken windows.  :(

11 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I've never left a Ferrari unlocked.  Can't remember ever doing that.

Right, never left a Lamborghini unlocked with the key in it either.

My dipshit partner locked the keys in a cruiser in the middle of the road that still had the lights & siren blaring tho...

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

When we first got the Miata, one of the best pieces of advice I received was to never lock the car. That only encourages thieves to cut the top! It's not an expensive car, but the kind of people who break into cars seem to think it is.  I don't leave keys in cars, period. However, I almost can with my pickup and the Miata. Both have manual transmissions. Darn near an anti-theft system these days!

That can't be said for most Ferraris, or a lot of other high-end cars with dual-clutch trans. High performance automatics...

So this AM I walked out to startt my car since it would not start remotely for some reason.  Opened the door and my spare key fob was sitting in the cup holder!  DOH!

I ran an errand last night and did not put the fob in my pocket, as I had my hands full of stuff.  One of the hazards of these new push button start cars that do not use a key!