So she was overwhelmed, processing- bring your teen to your workplace

shootingstar

One of the supervisors brought her daughter to workplace for the day.  It was bring your Gr. 9 child in workplace day...something an employer must agree to the program and the teen job shadows parent ..just to have some clue what their parent did.

So this teen was probably  between bored and probably a little overwhelmed by things she thought she understood, but not really.  Our organization had an agenda mapped out...a presentation/tour of archives, then I think to an emergency operations centre and then to an innovation lab.  About 10 parents with a kid each from across the organization, were in this program.  (there are over 12,000 employees).

Did you ever have this bring-your kid for the day, in your workplace?

I know dearie took each of kids along with him.  They were probably bored to bits since his job was a lot of meetings, negotiation and working on financials plus presentations/reports to.  However NOW, his adult son is realizing he's getting a fantastic deal by having his father's expertise happily churning out financial analysis on butcher shop sales, reviewing leasing contracts, etc....for free.  I'm certain his son knows his business is staying afloat because of daddy's financial anaytical expertise.

As a child and teen, we walked through the kitchen of the large restaurant where my father worked.  We knew how hard father worked.

When I was at a defense contractor they had a bring your kid to work day.  I think the age was 10-15 or such. There were no really young kids. They had organized events, movies & games & lunch in the cafeteria with their parent.   It seemed to be popular.

When my daughter was younger, 12-14  I'd bring her into my office and have her work with HR during summer. She'd do filing and basic office work.  The HR girls loved having her around.

I took my kid to work when he was maybe 19. He worked until he had enough money to buy a cheap car and then he quit and went chasing after his girlfriend who lived on the other side of Ohio. Security is tight both where I worked and real tight where WOLJ works. Government contractors are real picky about who enters a facility. 

11 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I took my kid to work when he was maybe 19. He worked until he had enough money to buy a cheap car and then he quit and went chasing after his girlfriend who lived on the other side of Ohio. Security is tight both where I worked and real tight where WOLJ works. Government contractors are real picky about who enters a facility. 

Since I do work for government, actually once a year there is a public event, Open Doors where members of the public do get to visit/tour with a guide pre-determined select sites for the public to learn about what we do. Archives is 1 of them....why and what is preserved for local history, public art, a major landfill, waste recycling site, traffic monitoring, central transit bus operations, etc.  It is useful for people to understand the level of complexity, cost in terms of infrastructure/operations to....run a large municipality.  

The Open Doors event has private sector participating if they wish to tour certain area, etc.  But it does tend to be non-profit, public sector:  running a large food bank, historic churches (which are usually locked up), etc.  I've gone to 1-2 sites every 1-2 years and have learned something interesting.  

As for kids..some kids are a bit clueless about their parent does to pull in the money...which is ok when they are young.  More meaningful when they get out into the real working world to earn money.

I don't think dearie's children understood the level of business and management expertise that their father had until....they were well into their late 20's onward.  before they saw him as a corporate slave (which in a way that's true for many of us), etc.

8 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

As for kids..some kids are a bit clueless about their parent does to pull in the money...which is ok when they are young.  More meaningful when they get out into the real working world to earn money.

My son had an eye opener when he saw what dad did for a living. He worked an entry level job the short time he was there and even that job whipped his butt. I left him try to make a few parts in the 3,000 ton press with me right there making sure he didn’t burn up. All he managed to make was scrap.

• Heart 1

When my sons were younger and I was a field forester, I would take them to work everyday the weeks during the summer they were with me. I’d schedule my work so we could spend a few days at a time in the backcountry. 

• Heart 3

I am allowed to bring my pup to work, but I don't think she would enjoy the ride in my pannier, and the Metro bans all animals except service ones :(

But every so often, a co-worker brings a kid to work for the annual event.  Mega-boring if it is on a routine day.  Folks working on laptops or attending a meeting are pretty boring, and unless someone develops a plan for them on the day, it's not like their parent can drop everything and just "entertain" them. If we were a bigger company, we could probably actually swing something interesting and interactive for them. 

On the plus side, our organization is pretty "flat", so a girl or a boy will see both men and women in equal positions making similar decisions and adding value regardless of sex, race, religion, or age. That's will pay dividends when they get to the workforce and realize it is based (hopefully) on merit.

My office participates in the Bring Your Kid to Work Day  and they have a good program with interactive presentations designed by age group.  I don't think just trailing the parent would be very interesting.

When I was a kid, my Mom was a teacher and we'd sometimes go to her classroom on the last day of school or for some other event. 

• Heart 1

The only employer I had that tried decided with HPAA and SEC rules, probably best not to let young'uns see most of the business. Faded  pretty fast after that!

When I managed the record store, the owner had kids, too. He was ok with my oldest daughter hanging for a bit when WoW's jobs and mine had a bit of overlap. She would mostly just color in the office.