What are you doing for Thanksgiving?

Road Runner

I think that we are celebrating Turkey Day on the following Sunday with the kids and grandkids. We do a similar thing for Christmas so that the kids can go to their in-laws. We started this 'tradition' when WoJSTL was working every second weekend and holiday. We're flexible where a couple of the in-laws aren't. At all.

• Heart 1

Got a 20 lb. bird defrosting in the fridge.  Been there since Wed night.  Taking it to my brothers house on Sunday so he can get it brined and seasoned and ready to smoke.

This year will just be my family, my brothers family and my parents at my brothers house.  I think we are bringing a friend of my oldest son who does not have much of a family life and I think my nieces will have their boy friends from college there as well.  I think my sister in laws mother may be there as well.

Smallest gathering in years.

• Heart 1

We will be going to the in-laws on Wednesday afternoon. Thanksgiving is at WoZack a brothers house which is always a total clusterf***. 

I told WoZack that I had to work Friday so we have an excuse not to stay too late.

I don't know.  WoKzoo hasn't told me yet.  Wonder if I should read anything into that?

We will either stay home and have the kids the kids at our place or we will go to one of their houses.  I'm pretty certain that's part of the plan.  If no one invites me I only have 3 place to check to find them.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

Wednesday night my parents are coming into town. BuffCarla and I will pick them up at their hotel and head to my brother's house for dinner for about 20 people.

Thursday evening will be a traditional dinner at our house for BuffCarla's relatives. Probably 12-15 people, but not all at once.

Thanksgiving morning I'm flying out to Georgia to visit my son. While I'm in Georgia my son and I might do some motorcycle racing.....weather permitting. 

Wo46 will be spending time with her mother and her family. 

• Heart 2

Thanksgiving with my daughters in laws. We've been spending it together since my mom passed. We always spent it with her before so we kinda weren't sure what to do. They always spent it with their rich uncle and they like having it with us better.  It worked out well.

My siblings get together on Friday after for a second thanksgiving.

We have a gathering of 12-15 extended family and normally hold it at my brother's or his father-in-law's house, but this year we're holding it at my brother's brother-in-law's on Kent Island - part of Maryland's Eastern Shore (the peninsula between the Atlantic Ocean and the East side of the Chesapeake Bay.  I'm glad I've got an insulated crock-pot carrier and another one I can carry a couple disposable lasagna trays in, because it's an hour's drive if there's no backup at the Bay Bridge and it won't take long to warm up the stuff I'm bringing to the bash: kielbasa and sauerkraut and broccoli and cauliflower with cheese.  I might make Tiramisu, too, but I'll probably save it for Christmas.

10 hours ago, jsharr said:

Got a 20 lb. bird defrosting in the fridge.  Been there since Wed night.  Taking it to my brothers house on Sunday so he can get it brined and seasoned and ready to smoke.

This year will just be my family, my brothers family and my parents at my brothers house.  I think we are bringing a friend of my oldest son who does not have much of a family life and I think my nieces will have their boy friends from college there as well.  I think my sister in laws mother may be there as well.

Smallest gathering in years.

...I just bought a pre-brined turkey from Trader Joe's today. 14 pounds for just the two of us.  So a 20 pound turkey sounds about right for you, your brother, and the large person you call "son". What are the others going to eat ?

• Awesome 1

I've become too worn out to do the full thing at the house this year. I'm still getting microwaved the day before and after so I really won't get a huge break.

We decided to go to our community clubhouse for their buffet. They always go all out for these types of things, we always do mother's day brunch and Easter there so I expect excellent food that the whole family can enjoy.

• Awesome 2

4 hours ago, goldendesign said:

I've become too worn out to do the full thing at the house this year. I'm still getting microwaved the day before and after so I really won't get a huge break.

We decided to go to our community clubhouse for their buffet. They always go all out for these types of things, we always do mother's day brunch and Easter there so I expect excellent food that the whole family can enjoy.

That sounds pretty cool, GD!  And you don;t even have to be old to have it!  We enjoyed the one year we went oot to a restaurant for Thanksgiving.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

That sounds pretty cool, GD!  And you don;t even have to be old to have it!  We enjoyed the one year we went oot to a restaurant for Thanksgiving.

Yes, my favorite Thanksgiving meals have been in a couple of restaurants in Brooklyn  The nice thing about them was that the food was prepared with unexpected little riffs on classic stuff that made it more interesting or unusual a bit.  So, tasty food, good variations, no cleanup, and no stress of shopping, prepping, or being in the kitchen the whole day.

You miss some leftovers, but the benefits outweigh the normal routine.  Not that I am against the classics, though, just that there can be offsetting advantages in some situations.