I used to hate people like me

maddmaxx

7 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I have never bought a snow tire in my life.  NOT. A. SINGLE. ONE! 

Well you live in Texas where it doesn't snow all that much.

When I lived over in Clovis NM, it was great fun when it snowed or even rained. It was like a demolition derby with people sliding around even though it's flat as a pancake. Especially people with pickup trucks before 4WD has common.

I learned to drive around hilly Cincinnati where we often got snow. I just couldn't understand why these jokers couldn't drive.

1 minute ago, JerrySTL said:

When I lived over in Clovis NM, it was great fun when it snowed or even rained. It was like a demolition derby with people sliding around even though it's flat as a pancake. Especially people with pickup trucks before 4WD has common.

I learned to drive around hilly Cincinnati where we often got snow. I just couldn't understand why these jokers couldn't drive.

We get a lot more ice than we do snow.  No one can drive on ice.  We also do not have the equipment to deal with ice on our roads in a very large scale.

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I buy tires when I need tires.  Seems the reasonable time to buy them.

When I was 25 I got in a near head-on, due to driving on bad tires on a wet road in September. I was waiting til November to replace them. Bad decision. Totaled 2 cars and nearly killed a baby.  The girl I hit safely got out of her damaged car and was screaming "My baby, My baby" outside the passenger side door.  I found out that the baby she was crying for was the used car that was just totaled, not a living thing.

So instead of new tires, I ended getting a new car.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

I have never bought a snow tire in my life.  NOT. A. SINGLE. ONE! 

I guess I bought two, but they came in the trunk of my first car, the '70 Malibu.  Studded, even.  In the snow that car was damn near useless without them.  That car came with whitewall bias tires, F78-14 or some such.

All season, M&S tires ever since.  To be fair, though, I can't say I never got stuck during that time.  

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

Reminds me of my sister's first college roommate. From NM. She insisted on going driving the first time it started raining. She'd never done something so exotic before.