How I spent my last 7.5 hours:

MickinMD

World Champion Magnus Carlsen was outplayed by American Fabiano Caruana (born in Florida, raised in New York) but he brilliantly sacrificed a White Knight for two Pawns, then managed to drive the material down to the point where Black didn't have enough material to checkmate.  The best game of the match so far and the only one, in my opinion, played at a Bobby Fischer-level.

Draw.  The first six games of Norway's Carlsen vs America's Caruana are all draws.  They have 6 more games, then, if tied, go to a shorter-time limit for another 12 games, then a speed-chess playoff if necessary:

In the position below the White King can take the Black Bishop allowing the Black King to take the White Pawn, but then Carlsen can place his Bishop along a diagonal the Black Pawn must move across and sacrifice his Bishop for the Pawn before it reaches the Queening square at the bottom.  A King + Knight vs King isn't enough to get a checkmate.

The two commentators were great and about 45,000 were watching the chess.com Internet broadcast: I don't know Grandmaster Robert Hess, but I've had some personal help and studied video lessons from International Master Danny Rensch:

547203533_Drawafter80.._Bxh6.thumb.JPG.5b0ecbef2a0ca2447a6032683b6a53a0.JPG

Capture06.thumb.JPG.284450e6f39e476a28cf0d3423c5c398.JPG

Capture08talk.JPG.a9dd10f7d2de42f75ae15116b28d7af4.JPG

2 minutes ago, roadsue said:

Holy smokes! That’s dedication to the game. 

This is the first one I've watched for more than about 15 minutes.  Fabi had an advantage and the Americans and Italians (Fabi's parents are Italian) were hoping he'd take the lead in the match playing the Black pieces - even though grandmasters in World Champ matches usually play for draws with the Black pieces and wins with the White pieces because White always having the first move gives that side about a 5 to 4 winning edge on average.

Today, I learned something about playing for a draw when behind!

• Awesome 1