No wonder I can barely read

Square Wheels

I have a lot of respect for teachers, I was a horrible, unruly student.  I would have hated to have had me in any grade.  I rarely paid attention, got good grades if I was in the mood for it, spaced out most of the time, slept often, never applied myself.

My daughters school sent an email letting us know of the substitute teacher problem they have been having and some of the steps they've taken to fix it.

Here's their whopping pay increase:

The School Committee approved last night to increase our day to day sub pay from $60 to $80 per day without a degree and from $85 a day to $100 a day with a degree and/or teaching license. 

If that said per hour, I'd consider, but per day!  Seriously, I knew teacher pay was terrible, but this should be illegal.  In Massachusetts you need a Masters degree to get a teaching license.

• Sad 2

It's the unfortunate truth that our education system is broken. My mother is still an educator and it's unbelievable what her budget usually is. Her new school isn't even a title 1, poor demographics school, and she has a $250 yearly budget for all supplies. That's for 3 classes of 45 students each of paper, pencils, whatever the whole school year.

• Sad 1

Pennsylvania teachers do pretty good and they get automatic pay raises with more education. You can teach first grade but with each degree your pay goes up. My son was a teacher and my cousins were teachers. My cousins started teaching six years after I started working and they retired six years before I retired. They had their summers off and didn’t really work weekends. My daughter in law was an elementary music teacher. She only worked half days. She said it was sinful how much she got paid if you divided her pay by how many hours she worked.

5 hours ago, goldendesign said:

It's the unfortunate truth that our education system is broken. My mother is still an educator and it's unbelievable what her budget usually is. Her new school isn't even a title 1, poor demographics school, and she has a $250 yearly budget for all supplies. That's for 3 classes of 45 students each of paper, pencils, whatever the whole school year.

My kids live in a decent neighborhood, with pretty high taxes.  The supplies were always in high demand.  The teachers resorted to asking each kid to bring something to class each year.  Paper, paper towels, tissues, pencils...  We always gave something.

15 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

The School Committee approved last night to increase our day to day sub pay from $60 to $80 per day without a degree and from $85 a day to $100 a day with a degree and/or teaching license. 

If that said per hour, I'd consider, but per day!  Seriously, I knew teacher pay was terrible, but this should be illegal.  In Massachusetts you need a Masters degree to get a teaching license.

Many subs are retirees or part time workers picking up a little extra money. My daughter works with subs and she really likes it when a retired teacher takes over her class. Often the subs just have to show a movie or monitor reading assignments. 

I earned a BS in Education when I was in the military. I was planning to become a high school teacher, but switched to IT work instead. I'm making about 50% more than if I became a HS teacher. I might consider becoming a sub once I retire from my current job, but if I actually needed some extra money I could go back to teaching night classes at the local college for more money and steadier hours. 

I make $54 an hour by contract hours. I work four hours a day outside my contract hours. So, it’s more like $32 an hour for the actual work. It’s enough to live comfortably, and teaching has a measure of job security. I could move anywhere and probably find work.

• Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, roadsue said:

I make $54 an hour by contract hours. I work four hours a day outside my contract hours. So, it’s more like $32 an hour for the actual work. It’s enough to live comfortably, and teaching has a measure of job security. I could move anywhere and probably find work.

That sounds like it pays better than many other jobs out there.  Better than retail management, customer service type stuff or food service for sure.  I think all jobs don't pay as well as people would like, so there is that.  Long days, though.  Plus, you get paid for summer, too, right?

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Teachers do it for the love, many refuse to take any money at all for the joy of teaching the next generation.  

Do not lose hope my cynical friend...I would like to think that some still teach from a love of teaching. After I retired I taught at a village school for four years and enjoyed it so much that I honestly would have taught for no money at all. After working for a long time with youngsters who had emotional, social and behavioral problems, it was such a pleasure to teach normal kids. 

The US will continue to experience problems with its public education system as long as the privileged in your society are able to buy private education. It is no coincidence that the countries with the highest rated education systems (such as Finland) are those where no private education exists. When income tax is generally regarded as necessary evil in a culture then it comes as no surprise to find that public education fares poorly. Interestingly, while Finland has very high taxes it comes top in the "happiness" index of countries.

19 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I have a lot of respect for teachers, I was a horrible, unruly student.  I would have hated to have had me in any grade.  I rarely paid attention, got good grades if I was in the mood for it, spaced out most of the time, slept often, never applied myself.

My daughters school sent an email letting us know of the substitute teacher problem they have been having and some of the steps they've taken to fix it.

Interesting. I think some of the provinces in Canada for the public school teachers, they get reasonably good pay:  they are unionized in B.C., Ontario. I'm not sure about Alberta.

Actually the pension fund for public (not private school teachers) school teachers (elementary and high school) is very powerful and strong...  if that gives you an idea.

I have great respect for teachers. Several of my friends are high school teachers....same age as I.

In several Canadian provinces, for the public schools 2 university degrees are required.  lst one is undergraduate, then next one is an education degree from an accredited university. Some teachers are crappy of course. But teachers nowadays deal with a far wider range of problems and lack of funds.  Some helicopter, aggressive parents don't help either.

On 11/16/2018 at 6:34 PM, Square Wheels said:

Teachers' beginning pay in most parts of the country is usually less than for sanitation workers.  People think teachers have lots of time off, but they work such long days -and grading, coaching, etc. on weekends- that they average 300 hours/yr MORE than the avg. full-time worker.

People complain about teacher's pensions, but they are a form of deferred pay without which the pay would have to increase drastically or the school systems would have to step up their efforts to higher teachers from the Philippines, etc.  Some big cities have 10% or more faculty from the Philippines.

On 11/16/2018 at 6:34 PM, Square Wheels said:

As we see above, SUBSTITUTE pay was what the OP was discussing.  "Regular" teacher pay is a whole different story.

10 hours ago, roadsue said:

I make $54 an hour by contract hours.

I would like to understand that figure more, though.  $54/hr is over $100k/yr for folks who work a full 12 months.  As we discussed in a different thread, that's easily top 20% if not top 15% territory for Americans!

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

As we see above, SUBSTITUTE pay was what the OP was discussing.  "Regular" teacher pay is a whole different story.

I would like to understand that figure more, though.  $54/hr is over $100k/yr for folks who work a full 12 months.  As we discussed in a different thread, that's easily top 20% if not top 15% territory for Americans!

I work all year. See my previous comment about the difficulty of discussing teacher pay with people who don’t understand the work. 

11 hours ago, roadsue said:

I work all year. See my previous comment about the difficulty of discussing teacher pay with people who don’t understand the work. 

" I make $54 an hour by contract hours. I work four hours a day outside my contract hours. So, it’s more like $32 an hour for the actual work. It’s enough to live comfortably, and teaching has a measure of job security. I could move anywhere and probably find work.  "

Well, sure it is difficult if you leave details out that would help explain the math. :D Are contract hours five 8hr school days a week, and then folks actually put in 12 hrs a day (or unpaid weekend hours)? Or is it maybe 4 hour "contract" days, but folks actually work closer to 8hrs wit 4 on the clock &  4 off/unpaid?  Or something different?  The OP was a per day rate.  I certainly don't know how a teacher in one school district in a different state gets paid versus a different school district in my state. Add in public, private, and parochial schools, and it becomes a very broad pay scale.

My county has a webpage devoted to pay scales, and there is a crap ton of variety there as well - from 194 to 260 day contracts and then extended schedules and "sixth period" pay too:

image.png.80c3c24855d3e9daee9dc18506ec126e.png