Why do we care about Thanksgiving?

Randomguy

14 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I get the local story of pilgrims and such, but would would some yahoo in TX or Washington care about some local folklore crap?

Because drinking Ralph's beer doesn't happen every day. We get one shot to sit on his front yard, drink his beer, and enjoy a fire burning his trees. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

The thing about the pilgrims is just an aid to the holiday.  Just as those pilgrims had had an awful winter the year before, Thanksgiving has come to symbolize a positive attitude despite the problems that we managed to survive or that always seem just around the corner.

It was established permanently as a federal holiday in 1863, during the Civil War, where more Americans died than in ALL our other wars combined even though the population was only around 30,000,000.  It was a day to think of good things that still occurred at a time where the entire adult male population of many small towns was wiped out.

There have been times when Thanksgiving has been important ever since: wars, Spanish Flu Epidemics, Depressions, etc. to give us something positive to hold onto.

For, me with the young people in our family getting jobs, going away to college, etc., it's a great time to catch up!

• Heart 3

13 hours ago, Kirby said:

Life's hard enough.  I'm in favor of celebrations, especially if they come with a yummy dinner.

See, this.   Most people just go along for the benefit of the day off or a feast of some sort.  Some politician or other saw some political and religious capital in changing the story of how we ass-raped the local primitives into a holiday for all.

I am no different, I just thought about the fact that Canada has some sort of copycat holiday but at a different time of the year, and maybe with different details.

I don't know...maybe because the biggest Thanksgiving I id was for 6...but there is nothing big deal about this meal....up a bigger bird that takes a bit longer to cook...probably a couple of extra sides...and a zert :dontknow:  This is actually the first year I have said go ahead bring dish...  but I will still do Turkey, Stuffing, Gravy, Mashed Tatoes and I am thinking some broccoli..in addition to...oops Salad, Sweet Potatoes, a cauliflower stuffing, and the traditional green bean casserole...Hmmm...maybe I will save the broccoli for the weekend :whistle:

32 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

See, this.   Most people just go along for the benefit of the day off or a feast of some sort.  Some politician or other saw some political capital in changing the story of how we ass-raped the local primitives into a holiday for all.

I am no different, I just thought about the fact that Canada has some sort of copycat holiday but at a different time of the year, and maybe with different details.

Most cultures have a harvest feast. For me it’s a time to pause and thank God for my many blessings. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, petitepedal said:

I don't know...maybe because the biggest Thanksgiving I id was for 6...but there is nothing big deal about this meal....up a bigger bird that takes a bit longer to cook...probably a couple of extra sides...and a zert :dontknow:  This is actually the first year I have said go ahead bring dish...  but I will still do Turkey, Stuffing, Gravy, Mashed Tatoes and I am thinking some broccoli..in addition to...oops Salad, Sweet Potatoes, a cauliflower stuffing, and the traditional green bean casserole...Hmmm...maybe I will save the broccoli for the weekend :whistle:

Broccoli is a good way to ruin Thanksgiving. Brussels Sprouts are a food to be thankful for. 

Well...the one guest isn't into Brussels sprouts...me..I love em...Oh hey

Rainbow Fall Slaw with Tahini &Poppyseed Dressing

2 Cups grated Brussels Sprouts

2 Cups grated Carrots

1 medium peeled and grated beet

1 Cup sliced radishes

½ of a large red onion sliced

½ medium head of cauliflower broken up

1 large apple sliced

1tsp salt

Mix the above ingredients

Toast ½ cup of pistachios (3 to 5 min)

Dressing:

6 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar

1/3 cup Tahini

¼ Cup Maple Syrup

½ tsp cayenne pepper

3 medium cloves of garlic

Mix the above ingredients

Add   1/3 cup Extra Virgin olive oil

1 to 4 tablespoons of water for consistency

2 tablespoons poppy seed

Dress with dressing and top with toasted pistachios

20 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Most cultures have a harvest feast. For me it’s a time to pause and thank God for my many blessings. 

See?  This is it, and is one reason that it was co-opted by the religious and politicians, at least that was the way it was presented to me growing up that I object to.  Thanksgiving always bothered me because it wasn't a fun holiday, it was more somber and god-thanky.  In my mind, if you are all into religion, you should feel grateful whenever you feel it and not need a day to attempt to compel those sentiments in others.

I know you don't need a particular day like that because of your beliefs, but it seems the equivalent of the muslim prayer call, which also seems coercive.  I would be much happier if they just called it a harvest festival, and not try to spin it, we know the natives absolutely hated the pilgrims.  Pilgrims were hyper-repressive ass-faces and treated the savages horribly after a short while, I don't think there is any historical debate on that at all.

Btw, I hear the muslim prayer call around here, and it doesn't annoy me (although conceptually it does when I think about it).  It is a sound like church bells somewhat, just an environmental sound track in a way.

11 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

See?  This is it, and is one reason that it was co-opted by the religious and politicians, at least that was the way it was presented to me growing up that I object to.  Thanksgiving always bothered me because it wasn't a fun holiday, it was more somber and god-thanky.  In my mind, if you are all into religion, you should feel grateful whenever you feel it and not need a day to attempt to compel those sentiments in others.

I know you don't need a particular day like that because of your beliefs, but it seems the equivalent of the muslim prayer call, which also seems coercive.  I would be much happier if they just called it a harvest festival, and not try to spin it, we know the natives absolutely hated the pilgrims.  Pilgrims were hyper-repressive ass-faces and treated the savages horribly after a short while, I don't think there is any historical debate on that at all.

Btw, I hear the muslim prayer call around here, and it doesn't annoy me (although conceptually it does when I think about it).  It is a sound like church bells somewhat, just an environmental sound track in a way.

But (nearly) all those cultural harvest festivals throughout history were religious festivals. We haven’t attached religion to a secular holiday. In many cases our culture has removed the religious aspect from the holiday. 

Just now, BuffJim said:

But (nearly) all those cultural harvest festivals throughout history were religious festivals. We haven’t attached religion to a secular holiday. In many cases our culture has removed the religious aspect from the holiday. 

Bam! Drop the mic ? 

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

You are right, although the origins of almost all holidays are pagan, they just get taken over by the power structure once they feel there is benefit they can co-opt.  Cultural removal is fought kicking and screaming by the religious groups anyway, but religion at this point is becoming a demand-based thing, and the power is waning considerably except for the pandering by politicians.  The power to coerce is dying, so big religion is going to have to adapt a softer, less damning and more appealing approach if it wants to survive the next 100 years or so.

I am sensitive to the brainwashing attempts that were shoved at me as a youth, I don't like society trying to force a viewpoint.  Thanksgiving still seems awash in religiousity in many parts of the country still.  The culture on the coasts have been correcting that, and it will happen in the other parts, although slowly.

I just want to watch football and eat without messages of any sort that are trying to tell me what I should be thinking or doing is all.

50 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Turkeys are fine animals, I think it was Ben Franklin that wanted them as our national bird.

Just having a national bird is a pretty stupid thing, actually.

...it's less stupid if they taste good. :)   There is a wild turkey gang the size of the Jets in my neighborhood that hangs out and blocks the street from time to time.  I would kill and eat them, but they're pretty smart about traps, and my neighborhood is not zoned for hunting. :(