Deer hunters love snow

Longjohn

If they have snow even if they don’t see any deer at least they see tracks and know there are deer in the area.

We have had snow for a few days now. I just checked the weather to see when this snow might melt. I would like to get some firewood moved after it thaws out. More snow on the way and the first day to have above freezing temps is next Friday. Deer season starts the following Monday. Monday and Tuesday it’s supposed to rain all day.

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Is it cost-effective to hunt deer?  I think I would do it if I had someone chop it up and wrap and freeze it up for me.  Not for the killing, I don't have the bloodlust or anything.  If you got cheap or free meat out of it, it would be worth it, though.

Depends on how far you travel and cost of trip, unless you consider that is your vacation for the year.  I was visiting with a fellow from Wisconsin last Saturday in Livingston, MT, that apparently hunts in several locations each year, including Alaska.  Some locals hunt for the meat and operate out of their home, while others go for the 'experience'.

2 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Fishing is probably the most cost effective 'hunt' for meat. Almost everywhere has a stock of catfish, sunfish, and carp.

I would definitely do that if I wasn't allergic to fish.  I fished with my father and brother when I was young, it was fun catching them.  I don't think fish have feelings like a real animal does.

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I would definitely do that if I wasn't allergic to fish.  I fished with my father and brother when I was young, it was fun catching them.  I don't think fish have feelings like a real animal does.

Go rabbit hunting. Many states have open season on varmints and the like, if you can stomach it.

6 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Go rabbit hunting. Many states have open season on varmints and the like, if you can stomach it.

I have really good rabbit stew.  That said, I think it would cost more to have someone clean you bunny than would be worth it.

Another question - assume you have deer on your land, can you just kill as many as your freezer would hold if you were so inclined?  I imagine there is a legal limit even if there is an overpopulation problem, I am just wondering how many people skirt that as a matter of course.

34 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Is it cost-effective to hunt deer?  I think I would do it if I had someone chop it up and wrap and freeze it up for me.  Not for the killing, I don't have the bloodlust or anything.  If you got cheap or free meat out of it, it would be worth it, though.

Butchering a deer is snot rocket science. If you hunt deer you are already field dressing the deer because you can’t drag it out of the woods with the guts still in it and the balls atached. That is the worst part of butchering a deer. Just skin it and start cutting. The more you do it the easier it gets but it’snot hard to begin with.

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

If you hunt deer you are already field dressing the deer because you can’t drag it out of the woods with the guts still in it and the balls attached. 

Really?  Why not?

I honestly don't know any of this.  The cutting and bleeding and removing of things would definitely make me feel oogey, I am a barfer.

When I was in high school my neighbor was my age and a big time hunter and fisherman. We went to area service stations (remember when they had those?) and asked for used wheel weights. We melted them down in my dad’s garage and cast our own 44 magnum bullets. My friend had reloading equipment and loaded five boxes of bullets for me (250 bullets). I shot all of my deer for the next 35 years with those homemade bullets. After my dad passed away I gave up hunting. We don’t eat a lot of meat and I didn’t see the need to do it anymore.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Really?  Why not?

I honestly don't know any of this.  The cutting and bleeding and removing of things would definitely make me feel oogey, I am a barfer.

If the deer sits for even a short time after it’s killed with the guts in it the meat will taste bad. Probably not as important to remove the genitals but it’s standard practice.

36 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I have really good rabbit stew.  That said, I think it would cost more to have someone clean you bunny than would be worth it.

Another question - assume you have deer on your land, can you just kill as many as your freezer would hold if you were so inclined?  I imagine there is a legal limit even if there is an overpopulation problem, I am just wondering how many people skirt that as a matter of course.

Poaching is a problem in some areas. Both hunting 'out of season' and illegal hunting methods.

As I am sure you guessed, hunting is regulated. So no, you can't just kill the deer because it is on your property.

16 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

When I hunted with my dad I always got excited when I saw lots of deer tracks. He would laugh and say: “you can’t eat tracks”.

My dad would say we were having track soup for dinner?

• Awesome 1

7 hours ago, Randomguy said:

If you have a gun and hunt close to home,and process your kill yourself, it is cheap meat. And it is good meat, my kids didn't want to eat deer meat, when the ground deer in the freezer ran out and we started using store bought beef in spaghetti sauce, they bitched...

If you buy all the latest gear and travel to the best trophy hunting spots, it is free meat with a very high delivery cost. 

• Heart 1