So Trenton, time to start picking your favourite songs of the year

Ralphie

4 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

Been a rough year for  new music that I enjoy..... there are three songs that quickly come to mind though.  Not sure XPN is playing them - do you know these?

"Lash Out" - Alice Merton - I like it, xpn only has 4 of her other songs

"How Did This Happen?" - Bodega - not bad, growing on me - xpn has played it a few times and a good bit of the other stuff

"Wham Bang Pow! Let's Rock Out" - Art Brut - very good!  They have lots of their other stuff but not that one.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, TrentonMakes said:

What's on your list, @RalphWaldoMooseworth?

You know I am a sucker for the Artist to Watch, and Caroline Rose was May's so a few of hers which they have been playing the shit out of!  I think my favourite is More of the Same Thing, closely followed by Jeannie Becomes a Mom.

Also I Was A Fool or anything else by Sunflower Bean which they also have played the shit oot of.  I think I see a pattern here. :D Music tends to grow on me the more i hear it, Sort of like fungus, I spose. :D  I remember emailing Bruce Warren one time and suggesting that they do deeper cuts instead of picking one song for heavy rotation, but he was a little miffed at that suggestion.  I was surprised.  I guess he is the radio professional though, and the heavy rotation worked on me, so maybe there is something to it.

I thought I heard a good one by Elbow in there somewhere (I see they have played the shit oot of Magnificent (She Says)), so I'll have to see if that is it.  That is aboot all I have off the top of my head.

• Heart 1

21 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I remember emailing Bruce Warren one time and suggesting that they do deeper cuts instead of picking one song for heavy rotation, but he was a little miffed at that suggestion.  I was surprised. 

His programming philosophy has chased a lot of listeners away.  One selected single gets played 2 or 3 times a day until you can't stand hearing it again; meanwhile a handful of other gems on the album are ignored.

well, his and Helen's.  Someone tell her it's not 1969 anymore.  

I don't know if it's the same one you're referring to but I like what I've heard from Sunflower Bean.

'Rainbow Kitten Surprise' wins for best band name. :D  The surprise is that they look like this:

Image result for rainbow kitten surprise

• 4 weeks later...

This song has been catching my ear - lately I'm finding it irresistible, especially the little keyboard riff that starts around 0:58.  Is XPN playing this?

I don't know if you know who John Grant is - I feel like the singer sounds a lot like him (though surely he don't look like him).

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

This song has been catching my ear - lately I'm finding it irresistible, especially the little keyboard riff that starts around 0:58.  Is XPN playing this?

I don't know if you know who John Grant is - I feel like the singer sounds a lot like him (though surely he don't look like him).

Barely!

11-17-2018 00:29 am Toro Y Moi - Freelance - Outer Peace
11-12-2018 21:44 pm Toro Y Moi - Freelance - Outer Peace
11-02-2018 23:57 pm Toro Y Moi - Freelance - Outer Peace

I'll listen later.

On 11/18/2018 at 9:45 AM, TrentonMakes said:

What's on your list, @RalphWaldoMooseworth?

The deadline is tomorrow.  I whipped up this list, withoot spending too much time on it.  For a few near the bottom I cheated a little off the Host Picks.

1. Sunflower Bean - I Was a Fool

2. Caroline Rose - More of the Same Thing

3. Caroline Rose - Jeannie Becomes a Mom

4. Caroline Rose - Soul No. 5

5. Low Cut Connie - Beverly

6. Charles Bradley - I Feel a Change

7. Michael Kiwanuka - Cold Little Heart

8. Mile Greene - Move

9. Rayland Baxter - Casanova

10. Natalie Prass - Short Court Style