I would never have made it as a housewife

Road Runner

Remember when housewives (like my mother) did all the household cleaning, washed the dishes, washed the clothes, vacuumed and mopped the floors, cooked all the meals, changed the beds, etc, etc. ?

I cleaned my house today.  Vacuumed and dusted every room, made my bed, and cleaned the bathroom.  It took me most of the day.  And my back is killing me!  :( 

The housewife of the 50's and 60's could work circles around me.  :)

• Heart 1

That was my mom. My dad "worked" and mom took care of the house & kids.  When my brother and I got a little older my mom wanted to work to earn some extra spending money.  My dad took it as an assault on his manhood and was pissed. I'm the breadwinner...  He only relented by making sure she had dinner done every day and the house was clean. She did it too.

He died shortly after she started working so probably good she had a head start in providing for herself.

My parents were of the Great Generation and had me late in life so they were really old school.

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

Remember when housewives (like my mother) did all the household cleaning, washed the dishes, washed the clothes, vacuumed and mopped the floors, cooked all the meals, changed the beds, etc, etc. ?

I cleaned my house today.  Vacuumed and dusted every room, made my bed, and cleaned the bathroom.  It took me most of the day.  And my back is killing me!  :( 

Uh, you sound just like my mom - including the complaining.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

That is because you are a horrible chick, you missed all the training and such.  Women need housework to feel fulfilled, science has proven this conclusively.

• Heart 1
  • Whatever 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

Housework has become much easier these days with the advent of appliances. When I was growing up in the 40's my Mother heated water in a copper fueled by coal and did the washing outside of the back-door using two tubs and a wringer. There was no electricity or gas and cooking was done on a coal-fired grate which was black-leaded every morning. Women had it hard back then and people now tend to take too much for granted.

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

Housework has become much easier these days with the advent of appliances. When I was growing up in the 40's my Mother heated water in a copper fueled by coal and did the washing outside of the back-door using two tubs and a wringer. There was no electricity or gas and cooking was done on a coal-fired grate which was black-leaded every morning. Women had it hard back then and people now tend to take too much for granted.

And I’ll bet you had to walk to school every day, uphill in the snow?

3 hours ago, onbike1939 said:

My mom inherited her mom’s wringer washer, and it’s not until I was 6 or 7 that we replaced it with a fully automated washing machine. I grew up with clotheslines, not a clothes dryer. During winter, we’d string lines across the bathroom and turn up the furnace to dry the clothes. Then we’d iron everything. Laundry was a three day process in a household of nine people. 

17 hours ago, Road Runner said:

The older I get, the longer it takes to take care of things. I bought new Venetian blinds to replace the old ones, haven't gotten around to putting them up all year (shoulder then ankle trouble initially, laziness afterward) and keep telling myself I don't have to dust or wash the blinds because I'm replacing them.

My brother and sister-in-law have cleaners come in once every week or two.  Last week, I got a call as the emergency contact for their alarm system - who said they couldn't get a phone answer from the homeowners. I phoned my brother and, as he suspected, when I got to the house (I have a key) it turned out the cleaners set it off by not properly keying in data (or else not closing the door before doing it) before leaving the house.