Modern vs Ancient :(

Razors Edge

I was in Target buying my fixings for my green bean casserole T-Day dish.  Anyway, Target has self checkout lines, but for some darn reason, some folks insist on feeding CASH into the machines.  WTF???? How about folks think about the REST of us instead of wasting everyone's' time ?  Don't get me started on the folks who roll up with full carts and think that they can scan all their junk quicker than the normal cashier can - especially if there is booze in the cart.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I was in Target buying my fixings for my green bean casserole T-Day dish.  Anyway, Target has self checkout lines, but for some darn reason, some folks insist on feeding CASH into the machines.  WTF???? How about folks think about the REST of us instead of wasting everyone's' time ?  Don't get me started on the folks who roll up with full carts and think that they can scan all their junk quicker than the normal cashier can - especially if there is booze in the cart.

I guess I'm lazy:  I have the cashier over 80% of the time, scan in my groceries.  It doesn't bother me.  Gives a person a job. And I don't have screaming kid to deal with.  And dearie isn't a guy pounding the table, demanding me to cook supper.

Just now, maddmaxx said:

You all should use regular checkout.  There are people who need the jobs.  Remember when students used to save for college instead of going into debt for life.  Robot cashiers are for elites who are too good to be with the rest of us.

I'm waiting for the Amazon instant check-out to take hold.  No human employees anywhere!  Add this to the self-driving vehicles - planes, trains, ships, TRUCKS, and car, and chaos is coming. SOON.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

You all should use regular checkout.  There are people who need the jobs.  Remember when students used to save for college instead of going into debt for life.  Robot cashiers are for elites who are too good to be with the rest of us.

There might be people who need those jobs but they are not willing to work or are not smart enough to swipe items across the scanner or count change for the few people who use cash. When was the last time you saw a business without a help wanted sign? Isn’t it great to see America great again?

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

There might be people who need those jobs but they are not willing to work or are not smart enough to swipe items across the scanner or count change for the few people who use cash. When was the last time you saw a business without a help wanted sign? Isn’t it great to see America great again?

I don't see many high school students working in the grocery lines.  I only see older people who are holding down more than one job.  Part time jobs and no benefits.

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I don't see many high school students working in the grocery lines.  I only see older people who are holding down more than one job.  Part time jobs and no benefits.

High school students don’t have time to work. Business hires who they can get. If they don’t apply they can’t hire them.

While I tend to go to the self checkout, self or manned checkout is immaterial. The point is - never EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER use cash at Target! While I don't like debit cards for a variety of reasons, I have two. My bank ATM/VISA they forced on me from the prior pure ATM only card, however I generally use it only as an ATM card, preferring reward credit cards. And then there is the Target debit card that links into the same bank, returning 5% immediate discount on everything purchased (might be some obscure exceptions) even including Apple and other manufacturer price controlled products. So with cash, check and credit you are essentially paying 5% more. You can't even get 5% on your cash in the bank! The only exception to using the ATM/debit card at a non-ATM is overseas. I primarily use credit cards overseas, unmanned kiosk (bus and train tickets, etc) demand a PIN which US credit cards typically omit in their security scheme - but the debit card with a PIN works.

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Never knew the Red Card came in two flavors - debit and credit.  But why did you choose the debit over the credit which looks like it is the same from a "rewards & discounts" perspective?

It may have been debit only at that time or presented to me as a debit card, plus I didn't need another credit card.

Another trick I found at target that is hard to do with the cashiers. If you bring your own bag, they credit you 5 cents per bag. I am not certain if "0" bags does as I always choose "1" then handcarry the item(s) out. When you don't actually have a bag, it is hard to tell the cashier 1, but if you show up with a bag they will credit it. I actually learned about that when purchasing something that had it's own bag so the cashier didn't use a Target bag and credited for one bag.

On 11/17/2018 at 7:25 PM, Razors Edge said:

Tell me you didn't buy cream of mushroom soup and those stupid onions in a can?

• Haha 1

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:25 PM, Razors Edge said:

Cash is legal tender.  Some people prefer to use that, or possibly they don't qualify for a CC.  Not everyone has credit.  

Why is everyone so darn rushed all the time?  Are we in such a rush that we can't be nice humans to each other?  We can't spare a minute to allow someone to unfurl a few bucks?

• Awesome 1

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

Cash is legal tender.  Some people prefer to use that, or possibly they don't qualify for a CC.  Not everyone has credit.  

Why is everyone so darn rushed all the time?  Are we in such a rush that we can't be nice humans to each other?  We can't spare a minute to allow someone to unfurl a few bucks?

Spend a few minutes behind someone unfurling crinkly old ones after wrestling with scanning and bagging, and you might ask yourself why they weren't in the "normal" check out line.

Folks ought to know their limits, their strengths and weaknesses, and their surroundings.  If they were testing their wings with the newfangled technology, maybe they should have looked around first to see if their play time would affect other folks in line.

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Clearly not.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Spend a few minutes behind someone unfurling crinkly old ones after wrestling with scanning and bagging, and you might ask yourself why they weren't in the "normal" check out line.

Folks ought to know their limits, their strengths and weaknesses, and their surroundings.  If they were testing their wings with the newfangled technology, maybe they should have looked around first to see if their play time would affect other folks in line.

Maybe they just move slower than you.  Maybe they are not as intelligent.  Tolerance and patience is a nice thing.  Possibly it could even be contagious, if we try. 

• Awesome 1

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

Maybe they just move slower than you.  Maybe they are not as intelligent.  Tolerance and patience is a nice thing.  Possibly it could even be contagious, if we try. 

As is self-awareness.  Again, the world moves a wee bit smoother when people pay attention to how their actions affect those around them.  Sort of like stopping on a highway to check your map.  I can "tolerate" it, but that doesn't make it very nice to the folks around them.

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Three cans and one plastic container. Also, milk and ground pepper. DELICIOUS!

What's your go to green bean casserole recipe?

I do not eat green bean casserole or hot dish. I like my green beans simple. Blanched, shocked, sauteed in toasted sesame oil, and seasoned with a bit of salt and pepper. You can add almonds if you like.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, dennis said:

Did you give him a can opener and a microwave too?

Cooking isn't difficult.

Both turned out to be excellent cooks.  Both used this book while in college.  One is cooking much of Thanksgiving dinner here and the other travels around the world exploring foods and learning to cook Asian style as his hobby.  He does however prefer street food to cooking as a single guy.

Just now, dennis said:

I do not eat green bean casserole or hot dish. I like my green beans simple. Blanched, shocked, sauteed in toasted sesame oil, and seasoned with a bit of salt and pepper. You can add almonds if you like.

Now you are rewriting Thanksgiving!!!! WTF??? Don't tell me pumpkin pie is off your list too!

I'd rather they put a bowl of whole, raw green beans on the table than that green bean casserole.

Thanksgiving features a whole table full of rich fatty foods; I'm not sure who came up with the idea of pairing it with a rich fatty vegetable dish.  And canned green beans are a crime against humanity.  Just awful.

and if I use the self checkout I'll pay with cash if I damn well please.  If you don't want to wait behind me you shoulda got to the store earlier.

• Awesome 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

Both turned out to be excellent cooks.  Both used this book while in college.  One is cooking much of Thanksgiving dinner here and the other travels around the world exploring foods and learning to cook Asian style as his hobby.  He does however prefer street food to cooking as a single guy.

Well done then. The book served it's purpose. 

I cook for one. It can be challenging. I just read about a new cookbook for one. Sounds good. I might check it out from the library.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/11/13/667391839/in-solo-chef-anita-lo-celebrates-the-art-of-cooking-for-one

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

As is self-awareness.  Again, the world moves a wee bit smoother when people pay attention to how their actions affect those around them.  Sort of like stopping on a highway to check your map.  I can "tolerate" it, but that doesn't make it very nice to the folks around them.

People get equally pissed when the slower people are in the regular line.  You don't put things on the belt fast enough.  When self bagging, you don't bag fast enough.  Maybe someone wants to write a check, and just watch people roll their eyes.  Nothing is good enough for an impatient person, when dealing with a slower moving one. 

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

and if I use the self checkout I'll pay with cash if I damn well please.  If you don't want to wait behind me you shoulda got to the store earlier.

Man, lucky this is about the Thanksgiving spirit and not the X-Mas spirit!

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

OMG!!

• Haha 1

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

People get equally pissed when the slower people are in the regular line.  You don't put things on the belt fast enough.  When self bagging, you don't bag fast enough.  Maybe someone wants to write a check, and just watch people roll their eyes.  Nothing is good enough for an impatient person, when dealing with a slower moving one. 

Maybe special hours for those types?  Like from 5am-8am and then from 8pm-closing?

We haven't even gotten into the exact change discussion.

Or the coupon folks.

Or the examine each line of the the receipt before clearing the aisle folks.

Just now, dennis said:

Well done then. The book served it's purpose. 

I cook for one. It can be challenging. I just read about a new cookbook for one. Sounds good. I might check it out from the library.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/11/13/667391839/in-solo-chef-anita-lo-celebrates-the-art-of-cooking-for-one

When I was on that year long contract job in Orlando I quickly tired of eating out and went back to cooking for one in my Residence Inn.  The biggest problem was that I had to clear out of my room every other weekend and it was impossible to maintain a stock of spices and condiments that I would have to throw away.  I went back to shopping almost every day and eating fresh.  Sometimes I would cook for the office folks at the hotel with something like Jambalaya.   

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Now you are rewriting Thanksgiving!!!! WTF??? Don't tell me pumpkin pie is off your list too!

I might spend Thanksgiving in a yurt. Possibly climbing and mt biking. It all depends on the weather. It's looking iffy now. 

Friday could be some actual turkey. Most recipes will be from Bon Appetit. Dry rubbed turkey breast, cornbread stuffing with sausage and collard greens, and possibly bussels sprouts.

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Yesterday when I was in line I tried to let the guy behind me with a single loaf of french bread go ahead.  He passed and quietly waited his turn.  Mellow.

Yep - he was probably going to pay by check, and didn't want to hold you up.  That's proper self-awareness for you!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Like you have ever had a line to wait in up there in Big Sky country!  You guys probably WANT a line to queue up so you can chat and talk to the neighbors.

They have self checkout lines at Walmart, but not at our two grocery stores.:whistle:I just smile at impatient people.

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Maybe special hours for those types?  Like from 5am-8am and then from 8pm-closing?

We haven't even gotten into the exact change discussion.

Or the coupon folks.

Or the examine each line of the the receipt before clearing the aisle folks.

Maybe we should tattoo those people with a number, so they are easily identified.  ?

I am a coupon folk.  I often have them ready, because I put the coupons in my cart with the item as I shop.  Monetarily, we get squeezed everywhere.  I will use my coupons to help the situation, if I can.

As the cashier rings me up, I watch.  I know the prices at which I bought the item.  There has been moments when, they didn't ring it up for the sale price.  I tell them, and it becomes this big deal when they need a manager to come over and clear it out.  It's the store's fault to have an ad and not honor it.  No problem.  I can wait while they figure out how to take off the dollar to the rolling total.   

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1