Happiness - Rat Race

Dirtyhip

4 minutes ago, Airehead said:

How did you find those?

Facebook.  It really made me think about the things we chase and what we are all working for.

I was struggling with my Vivoactive HR watch, yesterday.  It was pissing me off so much.  I almost threw it across the room.  It will not upload and is buggy at times.  This made me think back to when I first purchased it.  I was thrilled when I got it, but that moment was fleeting.  I thought I bought a piece of happiness and now I am not so sure.

Things have greatly changed for my in the last year or so.  My thoughts have changed.  When I buy things, I ask myself "Is this worth X amount of hours of my life to have this thing?"

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

11 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I was struggling with my Vivoactive HR watch, yesterday.  It was pissing me off so much.  I almost threw it across the room.  It will not upload and is buggy at times.

That comes with Bluetooth LE?  If you have a smartphone, you can probably link the two via the Garmin app, so that it syncs whenever you save an activity.  I know my 520 when paired with regular BT to my iPhone & Garmin app has already posted my ride before I even reach my garage.  When paired with both BT & BT LE, the 520 also displays text messages and phone numbers.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

That comes with Bluetooth LE?  If you have a smartphone, you can probably link the two via the Garmin app, so that it syncs whenever you save an activity.  I know my 520 when paired with regular BT to my iPhone & Garmin app has already posted my ride before I even reach my garage.  When paired with both BT & BT LE, the 520 also displays text messages and phone numbers.

Um, yeah...I've done that.  It uploads sometimes and sometimes it acts like an asshole. 

My point is that things can bring you misery, at times.  

22 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Um, yeah...I've done that.  It uploads sometimes and sometimes it acts like an asshole. 

My point is that things can bring you misery, at times.  

I too went through a stretch when my Vivoactive (the slightly older square one) misbehaved during upload.  One day I got pissed and disconnected it from the Garmin ap and my phone and about a half hour later added it as a brand new device.  Not one bit of trouble since.  Maybe I scared it with the threats to kill it.

The reason I have the older one is that I wouldn't spend that sort of money till I found it on closeout sale.

Though I've admired people who leave mid-career and go around the world for 1-2 yrs., it doesn't hold much for me. The reality I like to have money to be fed, place to be warm and clean, safe.  

In another thread earlier today, I mentioned how little I visit a department store for past few years.  Stores I visit often are grocery stores, drug store (household itesm, personal care items), bike store (to often dream) and outdoor/sporting goods store. 

I've been through several unemployment periods in life ...so I guess I'm boring as the rat on the crazy wheel. It is stressful to go through days just on a cup of coffee and maybe a muffin while hunting for work. Freedom only works if you have enough money to be fed, etc.  

However I can and do actually live a simpler life compared to many people. Retirement I expect will make me live simpler and no interest acquiring more possessions.

• Heart 1

44 minutes ago, Dottles said:

This may sound dumb, but there is a reason why I have found happiness in getting back to the basics. I love my stoves and chopping, splitting, stacking and hauling firewood and pellet fuels gives me great joy. It's primitive and puts everything back into perspective.

Back to basics eh?  

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

This may sound dumb, but there is a reason why I have found happiness in getting back to the basics. I love my stoves and chopping, splitting, stacking and hauling firewood and pellet fuels gives me great joy. It's primitive and puts everything back into perspective.

Well, I'm not that romantic. AFter all not having a car, is pretty basic....in seems in the eyes of  many people.