Hurt my back, can't do dook

Dottleshead

...it's  counter-intuitive, but your best option is to keep moving around, gently and carefully, and then to gradually work into stretching gently and increasing flexibility in ways that don't immediately send you into another spasm.  Heat usually helps most people, and if youi can get access to a steam or sauna at a gym, that also helps most people.  I don't feel your pain, but I have experienced plenty of back pain in my lifetime. :console:

I read someplace that people who stop eating meat are more prone to back pain.  (No I didn't . :) )

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, shotgun said:

I feel your pain. Been there many times myself. Right now I have pain from my left shoulder down to my little finger. 

Ice ice baby. 

..yeah. The people who don't get results with heat usually like ice.  Anything to send a different message to your brain helps.

17 minutes ago, No One said:

your best option is to keep moving around, gently and carefully, and then to gradually work into stretching gently and increasing flexibility in ways that don't immediately send you into another spasm

Yup...this and ..well heat or ice...one will make it feel better! Slow and steady..once you have healed..slowly work your core

20 minutes ago, No One said:

...it's  counter-intuitive, but your best option is to keep moving around, gently and carefully, and then to gradually work into stretching gently and increasing flexibility in ways that don't immediately send you into another spasm.  Heat usually helps most people, and if youi can get access to a steam or sauna at a gym, that also helps most people.  I don't feel your pain, but I have experienced plenty of back pain in my lifetime. :console:

I read someplace that people who stop eating meat are more prone to back pain.  (No I didn't . :) )

I am pretty sure I sprained it in my lumbar region attempting to move a large cut round. I stretched some last night before bed and plan on it again today. Will slither into the tub later. Bummer I can't take anti-inflammatory meds because of the meds I am taking for my stents

On your back on the floor with your legs up over a hassock or chair so you look like your in a sitting position.  This flattens the back against the floor and helps the muscles relax.  This tip from my sports orthopedic surgeon who didn't want to operate till all other measures were tried.

It works for me.

• Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Yeah I was laying on my back on the floor pulling my knees to my chest. But I like your option better.

Thighs perpendicular to the floor.  Lower legs and back parallel to the floor.  If the floor is cold, put down a blanket.  Eventually you will not be able to slide your hand into the gap between your lower back and the floor.  At least a half hour at a time, more if you're just watching TV.

Make the back muscles relax and the pain subsides.  When the pain subsides your body stops trying to twist you into a pain free shape.

11 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Thighs perpendicular to the floor.  Lower legs and back parallel to the floor.  If the floor is cold, put down a blanket.  Eventually you will not be able to slide your hand into the gap between your lower back and the floor.  At least a half hour at a time, more if you're just watching TV.

Make the back muscles relax and the pain subsides.  When the pain subsides your body stops trying to twist you into a pain free shape.

IMG_20181118_150717.jpg

Get better soon!  Back pain can be quite debilitating!  Once you get "better", try to find what is triggering the problem - excessive sitting (at a computer?), poor posture when lifting, weak core, general postural problems, etc..  I find, at work, it is good if I set my alarm to chime every 30 minutes or so to remind me to get up and move a little.

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Get better soon!  Back pain can be quite debilitating!  Once you get "better", try to find what is triggering the problem - excessive sitting (at a computer?), poor posture when lifting, weak core, general postural problems, etc..  I find, at work, it is good if I set my alarm to chime every 30 minutes or so to remind me to get up and move a little.

Yeah I have officially stopped trying to pick up 100 pound tree rounds and placing them in a cart. ☺️

2 hours ago, donkpow said:

That being the case and if you think nsaids would be the appropriate course, a cold pack will help reduce swelling temporarily. A heat pad may aggravate inflammation.

Yes! Pinched nerves cause inflammation. Inflammation is aggravated by heat. Ice, on the other hand, helps to reduce inflammation. 

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

I did it for an hour. Was able to get some stretching in too. 

So sorry to hear. this.  I've never had a bad back problem, but I get some minor tweaks now and then and you quickly realize how your back is key in any sort of movement, even sleeping.  Hope you're feeling better soon!

• Heart 1

I was down for over a month in 1980.  For the first couple of weeks I was unable to stand.  Any attempt resulted in immediate back spasms.  I was able to crawl about the house on all fours slowly.  I slept in the position I described to Dots above.  The doctor had me on muscle relaxers, heavy doses of Motrin and Butazolidin......the very Bute that they give to race horses to dope them up to run in pain.  At the end of the month I was thrilled when Womaxx drove me to the mall and I hobbled inside to sit on a bench and look around for a while.  I used a cane off and on for another couple of months.  The doctor advised against surgery and told me that if I followed directions that I could avoid surgery.  I did and I have. I was able to recover and keep refereeing.  I haven't looked into the advances made in back surgery in the last 40 years though.

Boredom set in though during the on the floor on my back.  We had to find things to do.

So Dots, just so you know, you can do dook.

• Haha 1

Google, and bookmark, core exercises.

An alternative is to get a Concept 2 rower. That will strengthen your core, give you a great workout, and perfect posture. Don't knock the posture part, it's one of those things gals notice. Faking it doesn't work.

4 minutes ago, 2Far said:

You should go back to the doctor tomorrow. 

Doctor?  Maybe he'd be better served by a chiropractor? Or maybe a physical therapist? 

And, just to be clear, while he "can't do dook", he can still poop?  If "dook" = "poop", then he might want to see the doctor TONIGHT.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Chiros are quacks, PTs usually require a referral or prescription.

At his advanced age, he needs to get it checked out before he suffers consequential damage. 

Yeah, sure they are ?

Since you're good at this, is it the optometrist, optician, or ophthalmologist that is the quack?  That always gets me confused.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, donkpow said:

That being the case and if you think nsaids would be the appropriate course, a cold pack will help reduce swelling temporarily. A heat pad may aggravate inflammation.

In Maryland, you have to take a college-level course in Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries to coach high school sports (you can get away with "emergency" status without it the first year).

What they drum home over and over is that ice is good at any time, but heat can cause swelling and pain. It can also sooth during the first 24 hours, but after 24 hours heat should only be applied if you're doing 15 minutes of ice, then 15 min of heat, then 15 minutes of ice, etc. ending with ice.  There are the remains of dead tissue in your capillaries that can irritate your body and send messages to it to send water (swelling) to the area, and the ice-heat-ice-heat-ice-etc. treatment squeezes some of those poisons out of the capillaries, the heat causes fresh blood to be absorbed into them, then the fresh blood absorbs bad stuff for 15 minutes, then is squeezed back out.

• Heart 3

8 hours ago, 2Far said:

Chiros are quacks, PTs usually require a referral or prescription.

I'm seeing my quack today for the pain in my shoulder/arm. He has realigned my back many many times and relieved pinched nerves. Sorry you see them differently.

34 minutes ago, shotgun said:

I'm seeing my quack today for the pain in my shoulder/arm. He has realigned my back many many times and relieved pinched nerves. Sorry you see them differently.

I've been seeing a chiropractor all year. He has made my life bearable. In fact, his examination is the only one that has resulted in a comprehensive understanding of my conditions. YMMV.

11 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah, sure they are ?

Since you're good at this, is it the optometrist, optician, or ophthalmologist that is the quack?  That always gets me confused.

?

Struck a nerve.

Dunno fersur about the eye doc thing, but the ophthalmologist  is an actual med school doctor and the other two just mess with glasses

2 hours ago, shotgun said:

He has realigned my back many many times and relieved pinched nerves. Sorry you see them differently.

Q.E.D.

So he hasn't actually cured/fixed you?

If you start cracking your knuckles, pretty soon you start to need to crack your knuckles to relieve the discomfort in your knuckles....

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Is it possible that an orthopedic surgeon knows the same things as a chiropractor and then some?

Chiropractic care is what they call "a complementary treatment". It would be like massage or something like that. Don't forget, the guy has been looking at backs via x-ray and hands-on for his whole career. The question attempts to validate an argument by comparing dissimilar services. 

For your trouble, I award you a picture of dirty kitten.

6801801609_69aaaa9318_b.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 2Far said:

So he hasn't actually cured/fixed you?

Just wondering, though, if folks who aren't cured/fixed by doctors have bad doctors?  Lots and lots and lots of stuff out there being "treated" and "managed" without a "cure".

Luckily, though, I have never been to a chiropractor nor an orthopedic surgeon, but it seems the chiropractors are a "touchy subject".  I bet a Vegan like @Square Wheels has an opinion! 

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Just wondering, though, if folks who aren't cured/fixed by doctors have bad doctors?  Lots and lots and lots of stuff out there being "treated" and "managed" without a "cure".

Luckily, though, I have never been to a chiropractor nor an orthopedic surgeon, but it seems the chiropractors are a "touchy subject".  I bet a Vegan like @Square Wheels has an opinion! 

Chiropractic care has always been met with a certain level of skepticism. As has a slew of alternative treatment methods; acupuncture, etc. When I was a young man, I had someone tell me a person didn't need to exercise, they just need to work. Now it is common knowledge that exercise improves overall health by providing activities not performed during common physical 'work'.

16 hours ago, MickinMD said:

In Maryland, you have to take a college-level course in Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries to coach high school sports (you can get away with "emergency" status without it the first year).

What they drum home over and over is that ice is good at any time, but heat can cause swelling and pain. It can also sooth during the first 24 hours, but after 24 hours heat should only be applied if you're doing 15 minutes of ice, then 15 min of heat, then 15 minutes of ice, etc. ending with ice.  There are the remains of dead tissue in your capillaries that can irritate your body and send messages to it to send water (swelling) to the area, and the ice-heat-ice-heat-ice-etc. treatment squeezes some of those poisons out of the capillaries, the heat causes fresh blood to be absorbed into them, then the fresh blood absorbs bad stuff for 15 minutes, then is squeezed back out.

This is my athletic training as well. I was always suspicious of putting a heating pad on areas I believe to be inflamed. Perhaps I am wrong but inflammation comes to mind when I think of back flare ups after continued use. Dies down with inactivity and breaks out with prolonged activity. 

I suspect if I could take anti-inflammatory meds this whole ordeal wouldn't be as big of a problem. 

So now I try to use it as little as I can throughout the day and rest an hour a day like @maddmaxxhas suggested and stretch it like @No One has. So far it seems to be improving. I may see a doctor, or not. Most injuries simply require rest.

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, shotgun said:

Define "cured". 

A doctor can "cure" an infection, but that doesn't prevent the patient from getting another one.

The list of incurable diseases is long and full of some very common ailments - like diabetes.  I guess those doctors are quacks?