Wonder if this thing shits in the woods?

Parr8hed

I've seen just about everything in my backyard, deer, turkeys fox, coydog. Haven't seen the neighborhood bear, but he has busted a couple bird feeders. I don't know of anything besides a bear that can bite a hole in a rugged plastic.

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/crime/2018/11/19/small-bear-reportedly-spotted-southern-indiana/2052943002/

Second time a bear has been spotted here in the past 3 years.  This is a few miles from my house.

Yeah, the black bears are being spotted locally again.  Had one not too far away from where I ride caught on camera.  Maybe it is the time of year where the male bears need to spread out a bit to forage for winter?

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah, the black bears are being spotted locally again.  Had one not too far away from where I ride caught on camera.  Maybe it is the time of year where the male bears need to spread out a bit to forage for winter?

Our bears have already bedded down for the winter, thank goodness.

And that sign is hilarious!

• Heart 1

Black bears show up in a lot of suburbia here. When the young get kicked out of moms care they have to find a home of their own, and being young & dumb they wander into backyards & such. The Game Commision will trap & relocate 'problem bears'. The ones that insist on hanging around houses end up shot.

Coyotes are a bigger problem...

• Heart 1

I don't know how I feel about this bear thing.  On one hand, they are bears and evolved and enjoy bear activities.  On the other hand, they will kill you.

I think when mountain biking, I am happy there are not so many.  I know that sounds wrong,  but I prefer not to be chased by bears and killed by bears or otherwise acosted by bears.  I have camped many times in bear country, and even found footprints near the tent in the morning a couple of times, but I would prefer they not do this.

We became apex so's we could rid ourselves of the scourge of all wild animals who don't give milk or taste good or have a taste for long pork.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Bears serve a higher purpose than you realize.  Let me give you an example.

An atheist was walking through the woods. "What majestic trees! What powerful rivers! What beautiful animals!" he said to himself.

As he was walking alongside the river, he heard a rustling in the bushes behind him.

He turned to look. He saw a 7-foot grizzly bear charge towards him. He ran as fast as he could up the path. He looked over his shoulder and saw that the bear was closing in on him.

He looked over his shoulder again, and the bear was even closer.

He tripped and fell on the ground. He rolled over to pick himself up but saw that the bear was right on top of him,reaching for him with his left paw and raising his right paw to strike him.

At that instant the Atheist cried out, "Oh my God!"

Time stopped. The bear froze. The forest was silent.

As a bright light shone upon the man, a voice came out of the sky.

"You deny my existence for all these years, teach others I don't exist and even credit creation to cosmic accident."

"Do you expect me to help you out of this predicament? Am I to count you as a believer?"

The atheist looked directly into the light, "It would be hypocritical of me to suddenly ask you to treat me as a Christian now, but perhaps you could make the BEAR a Christian?"

"Very well," said the voice.

The light went out. The sounds of the forest resumed.

And the bear dropped his right paw, brought both paws together, bowed his head and spoke:

"Lord bless this food, which I am about to receive from thy bounty through Christ our Lord, Amen."

Well played. 

The grizzlies are very active here right now. Elk and bison season draws them out. A friend of mine was charged last fall. 

4 minutes ago, dennis said:

Well played. 

The grizzlies are very active here right now. Elk and bison season draws them out. A friend of mine was charged last fall. 

Yeah, the black bears we have don't really have a track record of killing people.  Stealing food, yes. Scaring hikers, sure. But actual black bear killing someone??  Pretty rare.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Moose or bears kill more people?

Moose outnumber bears nearly three to one in Alaska, wounding around five to 10 people in the state annually. That's more than grizzly bear and black bear attacks combined 

Now that's only wounding, not killing, and it only applies to Alaska.  I doubt that the moose statistics would hold for New Mexico however.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

A friend posted on FB that he saw a black bear crossing a road close to our house.  I trust him although he's been known to smoke the reefer.  Looks like they are here.  

I'll never forget the train going through the woods or the unicorns that Harold and Kumar saw on their way to White Castle. :D

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, dennis said:

I was way to close to this one. It popped out from behind the white truck as I rolled by. My friends are hiding behind the mini cooper.

They tend to pop up on us as well. 

In Wyoming - walking back from Jenny Lake, we got cut off on the trail by a moose who was munching on some bushes.  We eventually walked into the woods to skirt him.

IMG_1173.thumb.JPG.cc18d65e9b9c1b2d9d2762d546043955.JPGIMG_1164.thumb.JPG.afa5f9a14955fe2c56adcdfe39dfebf5.JPGIMG_1162.thumb.JPG.c804d81e47b2d086a96a7134b15ffc57.JPG

In Anchorage, on a bike ride on a popular bike path, a momma and baby were waiting for us a we came around a bend!

IMG_9830.thumb.JPG.5320fb5c747a3e21432dc132e9ddf9cd.JPG

In Colorado, coming back from Marroon Bells, we finally kept the proper distance from a moose relaxing in a small lake (the park ranger chasing people away was classic).

IMG_3623.thumb.JPG.3ec22b9b9aefd8ed9de3ea9f12b0cf88.JPG

• Heart 3

I live just north of the Great Dismal Swamp.  Bears foraging for food in my neighborhood is not uncommon.  I once encountered the police searching through my backyard one night with flashlights.  They told me someone had reported a bear in the neighborhood and they thought it ran through my yard.  No big deal.