Would Anyone Care

Razors Edge

11 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

So is the Miller facility 100% automated, or do workers still make and bottle PBR?

Read the article. Essentially, the contract ends in 2020. Miller wants it to die. They make more money brewing their own beers instead of PBR. Miller wants $45/barrel, PBR won't pay it. It's essentially a legal battle at this point. Both of these companies are losing to craft brewers. PBR is cheap, so people drink it. 

I'm not going to defend either company. It's hard to say who is right or wrong without seeing the details of the contract. Maybe PBR should have it's own brewery like they used to. 

Just now, dennis said:

Read the article. Essentially, the contract ends in 2020. Miller wants it to die. They make more money brewing their own beers instead of PBR. Miller wants $45/barrel, PBR won't pay it. It's essentially a legal battle at this point. Both of these companies are losing to craft brewers. PBR is cheap, so people drink it. 

I'm not going to defend either company. It's hard to say who is right or wrong without seeing the details of the contract. Maybe PBR should have it's own brewery like they used to. 

I forgot to throw out that Natty Boh is part of the mess, too.  If PBR goes, I think Old Milwaukee, Natty Boh & Lone Star go as well.

28 minutes ago, dennis said:

What article? Tom’s link took me to the thread where he petitioned to have business discussion move to P&R Forum....

But the long and the short of my question is “do people get paid making PBR”? As their full time job, as a portion of their full time job that may be reassigned to other tasks if not making PBR or result in decreased hours, or as overtime from their other brewery responsibilities? Because these are the people who would likely care the most if PBR stopped being produced. 

Now, maybe they’d be effiently absorbed into other beer making roles, I don’t know. But generally people fear change.

12 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

What article? Tom’s link took me to the thread where he petitioned to have business discussion move to P&R Forum....

...which had the link :D

I would think Miller is doing one of two things - 1) driving a hard (and better) bargain, and/or 2) wanting to free up the bottling line for their own more profitable use.

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

His posts are short but it takes him forever to type them on his flip phone that he only pays $5 a month for.

That would not stop Mick from typing a three paragraph response to a question like "Are you wearing pants?"  Just saying.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Longjohn said:

When I am texting with my brother and I ask him if he’s wearing pants I see the three little dots that show that he is typing a response. I watch those three little dots move for ten minutes and think he must be writing a book. Then his answer comes up, he said “yes”

Probably took him a little while to go find a clean pair to put on before answering...

• Haha 1

I grew up with my brother in the same house but since he is older than me I didn’t witness his birth. I think my brother wears pants to bed and in the shower. He doesn’t share my aversion to clothes. He also takes his car to the repair shop every time he hits a deer. I think his insurance has paid over $30,000 repairing his $10,000 car. I hit five deer with my Element over the years, I have never taken a car to the body shop. That little scratch or crack doesn’t hurt anything, it adds to the personality of the vehicle.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

9 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

He also takes his car to the repair shop every time he hits a deer. I think his insurance has paid over $30,000 repairing his $10,000 car. I hit five deer with my Element over the years, I have never taken a car to the body shop. That little scratch or crack doesn’t hurt anything, it adds to the personality of the vehicle.

I hit a deer this year :(  I was like "I can fix this, no problem."  A new front bumper can't be hard to fit.  Or the front passenger quarter panel.  And maybe a headlight.  Priced some of it up and it was a few hundred dollars.  Decided to just call USAA.  A week later and $4,500 in repairs, my car was in tip top shape again.  I'm not sure how much they value my 15 yr old Accord, but I was shocked it wasn't "totaled".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

...which had the link :D

I would think Miller is doing one of two things - 1) driving a hard (and better) bargain, and/or 2) wanting to free up the bottling line for their own more profitable use.

Only a Noob would think that people will jump through not one but TWO separate url hyperlinks to find some article about a shitty beer and it's brewing contracts. Although it is a crafty means of driving up the views of your other shitty threads. :nyanya:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Only a Noob would think that people will jump through not one but TWO separate url hyperlinks to find some article about a shitty beer and it's brewing contracts. Although it is a crafty means of driving up the views of your other shitty threads. :nyanya:

EXACTLY!  N00bs are all about cluelessness and efficiency!  So, I was able to tuck both an "intelligence" test and a "laziness" test into the post, and you did pretty well hitting the bare minimum by clicking through to the shitty thread, but failed miserably by merely stopping there.

41 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

EXACTLY!  N00bs are all about cluelessness and efficiency!  So, I was able to tuck both an "intelligence" test and a "laziness" test into the post, and you did pretty well hitting the bare minimum by clicking through to the shitty thread, but failed miserably by merely stopping there.

I did scroll to where @Square Wheels told you "No", so I figured that was the extend of my obligations.

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Is @Square Wheels a PBR guy? Can we add him to the mix of those who would miss it? I believe it is vegan.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that there is a very high likelihood that PBR contains some level of bodily fluids.  Definitely not vegan nor kosher. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

That guy is drunk with power!

I need to have some fun.

6 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Is @Square Wheels a PBR guy? Can we add him to the mix of those who would miss it? I believe it is vegan.

I don't drink.  When I did I never drank any beer, never liked it.  Now I can't have gluten, so no beer for me.

6 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that there is a very high likelihood that PBR contains some level of bodily fluids.  Definitely not vegan nor kosher. 

Vegans are sick.

5 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I figured there to be a 5% chance someone would comment on this and tell me how wrong I was.

You are correct.

3 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

I was a hipster in the way that I drank micro-brews and craft beer before everyone was doing it.

Before there were craft beers I used to wait for some good imported porters, stouts, and whatnot to be reduced at the distributor because of shelf life. I have always been cheap but with expensive tastes.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

I used to wait for some good imported porters, stouts, and whatnot to be reduced at the distributor because of shelf life

I would do the same at my local beer & wine place. They would discount the dusty bottles from places/beer types people were not familiar with and I would explore and try.

• Awesome 1

10 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

It's owned by Inbev now, and brewed in NJ.

Iron City is now brewed out of the Latrobe brewery.

Do they still use the “glass lined tanks”?

The first though that comes to mind when they say glass lined tanks is some sparkling clear crystal lining. I’ll bet it was actually a fiberglass lining like they use for gasoline storage and it probably had an inch or two of build up scuzz coating it.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Do they still use the “glass lined tanks”?

The first though that comes to mind when they say glass lined tanks is some sparkling clear crystal lining. I’ll bet it was actually a fiberglass lining like they use for gasoline storage and it probably had an inch or two of build up scuzz coating it.

Knowing the ICB budget, I'm pretty sure nothing was modified when they moved to their new home.

Sam Adams used to be brewed under contract at Iron City. I lived very close to the brewery in the early 90's, it smelled really good in those days. And fresh kegs were pretty tasty.

• Awesome 1

18 hours ago, Square Wheels said:
On 11/19/2018 at 1:59 PM, Prophet Zacharia said:

I don't drink.  When I did I never drank any beer, never liked it.  Now I can't have gluten, so no beer for me.

No longer an issue. Plenty of gluten-free beers out there.