How Much Are These Old School Consumers Costing Us?

Razors Edge

I gotta think, one of the few places that a brick & mortar establishment can trim or reduce costs these days is via the cost of employees.  Look at the self-checkout thread.  If Target or Walmart or Safeway is able to convert a cashier-dependent checkout to a self-checkout, I think it must be a cost saving measure.  If so, that savings, however minuscule, likely gets spread out with some portion going to reduced prices on products.  

So...

...those darn slowpokes are not just causing us all emotional agita, but also costing us hard earned dollars!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I gotta think, one of the few places that a brick & mortar establishment can trim or reduce costs these days is via the cost of employees.  Look at the self-checkout thread.  If Target or Walmart or Safeway is able to convert a cashier-dependent checkout to a self-checkout, I think it must be a cost saving measure.  If so, that savings, however minuscule, likely gets spread out to the share holders. 

FIFY

• Heart 2

Just now, 2Far said:

I think a part of it is staffing. Everybody who can pass a drug test & show up 3-4 days a week is working. They don't have to worry about the self-checkout machine not showing up for work.

Well, not until the machines become self-aware.  But that will only be minutes before they erase mankind from the Earth, so it's not too big a concern.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, donkpow said:

The self checkout stations at the grocery recently installed security cameras. I assume to prevent the machines from skimming cash from the customers.

The ones at Target have a little monitor showing you as you ring things up.  Probably not recording anything, but just making it seem like they are watching.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

The ones at Target have a little monitor showing you as you ring things up.  Probably not recording anything, but just making it seem like they are watching.

Yeah, that's what we have. Creeps me out. I'm like, "Who the fuck is that old guy and when was the last time he bathed?"

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, 2Far said:

I think a part of it is staffing. Everybody who can pass a drug test & show up 3-4 days a week is working. They don't have to worry about the self-checkout machine not showing up for work.

Just got off the phone with one of our insurance umbrellas. Construction staffing, including supervision, is becoming critical. Now with the fires in Cali & the post hurricanes period, the house building guys are really in a bind. They could prolly put that whole Mexican caravan to work for years to come.

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

FIFY

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I gotta think, one of the few places that a brick & mortar establishment can trim or reduce costs these days is via the cost of employees.  Look at the self-checkout thread.  If Target or Walmart or Safeway is able to convert a cashier-dependent checkout to a self-checkout, I think it must be a cost saving measure.  If so, that savings, however minuscule, likely gets spread out to the CEO and the Board of Directors. 

FIAFY

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I gotta think, one of the few places that a brick & mortar establishment can trim or reduce costs these days is via the cost of employees.  Look at the self-checkout thread.  If Target or Walmart or Safeway is able to convert a cashier-dependent checkout to a self-checkout, I think it must be a cost saving measure.  If so, that savings, however minuscule, likely gets spread out with some portion going to reduced prices on products.  

So...

...those darn slowpokes are not just causing us all emotional agita, but also costing us hard earned dollars!

Guffaw.