Kirby's Wild Sister

Road Runner

3 minutes ago, Kirby said:

No, when we would go to Howard Johnson's everyone always got the hot dog plate that came with bread shaped into a roll with the opening at the top.  Not even my wild sister would change from that tradition.

In fact, my mother has instilled in us the concept that if you go to a basic sort of restaurant, you order something basic that they're likely to make very well.  Don't try to order something too fancy for the restaurant as you will surely be disappointed.  To this day, my family still uses the expression "like ordering shrimp or steak at a Howard Johnson" to mean doing something inappropriate for the circumstances.

I ordered fried clams at Howard Johnsons. I was about 12. It was good and lead me down a path that often colored outside the lines. 

Your mother does have a good point, I ordered Calamari in Ohio and was disappointed.

• Awesome 1

53 minutes ago, Further said:

I ordered fried clams at Howard Johnsons. I was about 12. It was good and lead me down a path that often colored outside the lines. 

Your mother does have a good point, I ordered Calamari in Ohio and was disappointed.

...I always got the fried clams on the Jersey Turnpike when we stopped at HoJo's for lunch. Always...my whole entire childhood. Now I wonder if they were putting something in them ?:huh::)

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kirby said:

No, when we would go to Howard Johnson's everyone always got the hot dog plate that came with bread shaped into a roll with the opening at the top.  Not even my wild sister would change from that tradition.

Did that come with baked beans?

Had a truck break down in Frederick, Md. the owner of the company drove the wrecker down to retrieve the truck. We stopped at Ho Jos in Breezewood to get something to eat. He ordered beans and wieners. He said his wife wouldn’t make them for him at home.