Black Friday seems like a poor name

Road Runner

50 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

"A black day" connotes a feeling of doom, a day when bad things happen.  :(

I would be more likely to participate if they called it "Green Friday".  Most everything green is good!  :)   

Financial term, profits are in the black after holiday shopping.  But that's weird too as you would think it would be green.

40 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Yes, I read the explanation for black, but why should shoppers be excited because the stores are making money?  

Big discounts = increased volume of sales even at lower margins equals black.  Win win.

Taking part in the madness for the first time.

IMG_0803.JPG

13 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Big discounts = increased volume of sales even at lower margins equals black.  Win win.

I don't think most shoppers think this way.  A better name would be something like, "Discounts up the Kazoo Friday", or "Cheap as Hell Friday".  Something like that.  Something that hits the potential shopper over the head with the concept, not some vague reference to the stores financial condition. 

• Awesome 1

12 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I don't think most shoppers think this way.  A better name would be something like, "Discounts up the Kazoo Friday", or "Cheap as Hell Friday".  Something like that.  Something that hits the potential shopper over the head with the concept, not some vague reference to the stores financial condition. 

Black definitely sounds bad, not good.

• Heart 1