How did that new thing work out?

Airehead

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

The new dish you tried, the new tradition you started or the new whatever-- how was it yesterday?

Hey @MickinMD, this thread should have a post by you for sure. 

The 3 lb. of spicy kielbasa and 4 lb. of sauerkraut was the most eaten dish among many, next to some excellent out-of-the-bird dressing with gravy and the turkey. Less than two cups full were left in the crock pot I brought home.

I didn't like it as much as the mild kielbasa I couldn't find in the stores this year, but it was a more than adequate substitute.  I only told a few people there that I had substituted a different kielbasa and the lady I met in the supermarket Tues. who told me to substitute it and "nobody will notice when it's mixed in with sauerkraut" was right.

Someone also made a corn casserole dish I haven't had before that was really good.

• Heart 3

One of my friends brought sweet potatoes made with ginger...they were good..oh and an awesome cranberry/raspberry salsa..that wasn't hot spicy but had a nice flavor from whatever chili was included...we had too much food :dontknow:

I suggested renting a condo on the North Shore...maybe next year or the year after..Go up early enough to be there Wednesday...have a big ol breakfast on Thursday morning...then hike or walk...or just enjoy the big lake....Then cook a big ol meal for later in the day.... Then maybe hiking and food on Friday...returning home on Saturday....I think I need to plan this :nodhead:

• Heart 2

My mother in law joined us for Thanksgiving dinner this year. She hasn't felt up to joining us since dad died three years ago. The assisted living center has been very good for her. They make sure she eats, gets PT, and takes her medications. Her memory is coming back and she had a good time with the family. Everyone was there except her youngest daughter who lives in Va. Her youngest son found the jackpot of old pictures in her attic. I hadn't been able to find any family pictures even though I have been going through stuff and cleaning up for two months. I have sorted through hundreds of photos of people in Siberia, Jerusalem, Africa, etc.  Mom really enjoyed looking at the old photos. There were pictures of her as a baby on up, wedding pictures, pictures of all the kids when they were little. We have a whole envelope of photos of my wife when she was little. She was a cutie. He found an engagement announcement laminated into a bookmark with my wife's picture on it. I looked at it and realized it wasn't our engagement. We didn't announce our engagement in the newspaper, this was a guy she was engaged to before and she broke it off. LOL, loser. 

• Heart 2

18 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

fe when she was little. She was a cutie. He found an engagement announcement laminated into a bookmark with my wife's picture on it. I looked at it and realized it wasn't our engagement. We didn't announce our engagement in the newspaper, this was a guy she was engaged to before and she broke it off. LOL, loser. 

Was this a surprise or did you already know it?

I didn't have enough oranges for my cranberry sauce recipe, so I just juiced the one I had.  The recipe also used less water, so it was thicker than I would have liked.  It went over pretty well, though, the flavors were nice but I think the sugar called for was a bit much.

My cookies were a hit.  I have been attempting to perfect the chocolate chip cookie, but I made these ones smaller than what would have allowed the crunchy crust - gooey center combo I wanted.  This was owing to the fact that I had to bake them the day before, and I wanted to serve more people.  Anyway, they are getting there, but not there yet.  I wanted walnuts, RO did not.  She wins these kinds of things, you see.

• Heart 2

8 hours ago, Airehead said:

Was this a surprise or did you already know it?

I already knew before I proposed. That’s why I didn’t want a long engagement. I didn’t want to give her time to change her mind again. I met her in January, engaged in July, married in November. She hasn’t changed her mind yet.

• Heart 1