Public transit

Longjohn

5 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

FB3DA581-CFEF-472B-9F2C-F40A9EC5E005.jpeg

Disgusting...uptight some men have their own perversions.  I seriously mean this:  a society that requires public 'save face' behaviour and a lot of public self-restraint, then breaks out in this sort of stupid undercover rebelliousness/perversion.

Yes, of course there is a strong code of public "best" behaviour in Japan...but then there's some weird crap where some people have to decompress...illegally.

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

Disgusting...uptight some men have their own perversions.  I seriously mean this:  a society that requires public 'save face' behaviour and a lot of public self-restraint, then breaks out in this sort of stupid undercover rebelliousness/perversion.

Yes, of course there is a strong code of public "best" behaviour in Japan...but then there's some weird crap where some people have to decompress...illegally.

That, and they get incredibly intoxicated after work. That’s their opportunity to express what is on their mind to coworkers and bosses. Anything said while drunk is excused.  Some of the streets around our hotel were filled with stumbling people after 10 pm on a week night.

5 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Getting off at the correct stop is even more difficult than getting on! This was our train leaving Tokyo station that we needed to travel with suitcases from the airport. It wasn’t on it’s side like in this photo, though.

DB136289-631D-4872-B23B-923D81E55B95.jpeg

Since we have lived in Toronto and Vancouver, we planned our days not to take  subway in Tokyo..at least core area.  Even in Toronto I would not recommend taking 4 suitcases onto the subway at peak commuting hrs...in the downtown core. People would think you're abit nuts.  

I'm not sure why people are showing here Asian public transit photos....just to demonstrate how awful public transit is in North America.  But forumites like to exaggerate, hyperbole.  For those who bitch about public transit in North America, then either it's inadequate frequency or one doesn't know when to take public transit in cities in North America at good times.  Peak hrs. in Calgary are SOOOOOO tame.  Not worth complaining about.

Toronto experiences theirs 3:30 pm -7:00 pm the greatest in downtown ….as you get further out in 'burbs it's not like that.  In Vancouver it's around 3:30 pm - 7:00 pm.

I strongly recommend taking bullet and interurban trains in Japan (and many countries in European), they are often comfortable in seating, great way to see countryside, etc.  Interurban train service is not at all like North America..which often doesn't arrive on time.  We don't have much choice  in CAnada and U.S.  It's a self-perpetuating problem....people don't use enough train service because the service is limited/slower and then less people take it.  I actually think MORE people would take it if we had more frequent service, on time service and more choice of routes.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Since we have lived in Toronto and Vancouver, we planned our days not to take  subway in Tokyo..at least core area.  Even in Toronto I would not recommend taking 4 suitcases onto the subway at peak commuting hrs...in the downtown core. People would think you're abit nuts.  

I'm not sure why people are showing here Asian public transit photos....just to demonstrate how awful public transit is in North America.  But forumites like to exaggerate, hyperbole.  For those who bitch about public transit in North America, then either it's inadequate frequency or one doesn't know when to take public transit in cities in North America at good times.  Peak hrs. in Calgary are SOOOOOO tame.  Not worth complaining about.

Toronto experiences theirs 3:30 pm -7:00 pm the greatest in downtown ….as you get further out in 'burbs it's not like that.  In Vancouver it's around 3:30 pm - 7:00 pm.  

I didn’t know this was a bitch about public transit thread. If it is, my complaint is that my city’s light rail system leaves huge areas of the city and surrounding areas without coverage. It only goes south from the downtown area, but not all the way to the airport. Living in the southern portion, I use it all the time for sporting and cultural events. But it needs to run East from downtown, too. If it did, I would use it to commute to work, and thounds more people would find it of benefit. And a train to the airport should be a no-brainer.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

That, and they get incredibly intoxicated after work. That’s their opportunity to express what is on their mind to coworkers and bosses. Anything said while drunk is excused.  Some of the streets around our hotel were filled with stumbling people after 10 pm on a week night.

This is so true. I have never understood it. 

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

This is so true. I have never understood it. 

Salaryman.  Unique to Japan.  Much of the male workforce is or feels obligated to work very long hours, routinely 60 or more hours a week.  When they get out of work, they gather at the local watering hole and get plastered, catching the last train home to fall asleep and get up the next day to go to work again.

If you go anywhere in Japan to visit someone the standard gift to bring is booze.

8 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

It is possible some of them may not be able to hold their alcohol very well but are drinking beyond, due to social pressure among the guys.  I took these photos on a work night in downtown Tokyo.  95% men on this particular street. These are men from a variety of different companies.  I think this is specific to downtown Tokyo, where a lot of the office guys tend to dress the same way.  It felt VERY conformist to me.  

But to the credit of the Japanese, they tend to be very polite and reserved in public behaviour.  Mainland Chinese are different...more chaotic in restaurants, more aggressive/assertive, louder in self -expression.  But freer, that includes mainland Chinese women which is what I would want for any society. Very different with Japanese city women that I noticed.  I think assertiveness is just barely ready to break out among Japanese women, especially those well-educated. 

male-street-scene.jpg

malesocializing.jpg

9 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I didn’t know this was a bitch about public transit thread. If it is, my complaint is that my city’s light rail system leaves huge areas of the city and surrounding areas without coverage. It only goes south from the downtown area, but not all the way to the airport. Living in the southern portion, I use it all the time for sporting and cultural events. But it needs to run East from downtown, too. If it did, I would use it to commute to work, and thounds more people would find it of benefit. And a train to the airport should be a no-brainer.

My daughter rented an apt. because it was on the bus route to work & school. They dropped the route. I bought her a car.... 

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Further said:

My daughter rented an apt. because it was on the bus route to work & school. They dropped the route. I bought her a car.... 

It's happening in our city, merging some routes and cutting others.  We live in a sprawl city. I actually think our city has taken a huge step backward for next few years...after looking at the shocking speed of suburbs for new single family dwelling expansion and transit very far.  Our city can't afford to expand outward: costs a municipality millions more dollars annually in building and maintaining utility lines, roads (snow removal), recreation, just huge. A prairie city unlike a mountain city or a city by ocean, large lake, has no natural barriers to expansion.

It is estimated our costs will increase in annual property tax by $115.00+.  The breakdown for how this extra household property tax will be used, is shown in breakdown per month for next 4 years.

It actually sad people bitch and expect municipal services to be free and expect constant outward expansion of a city without any costs to themselves. It's even more appalling when it's some municipal employees who complain of this cost themselves.  Just stupid...well duh.  Who is paying your salary?

So when a big city expands outward, their borders outward and no condo buildings/no commercial land...it truly means serious $$$$$$ is required forever from residential taxpayers.  So supporting urban sprawl becomes long term financially huge.  No I don't think suburbs should be paying less property tax.  Should be evened out with those in the core.

image.thumb.png.05419142b8d0103a64f05d5eb8549086.png

I used the subway in some countries in Europe. In Paris, it's like walking into an art gallery. The station is literally beautiful, the carriages were not crowded (while they prob are during rush hour, I can pretty much guarantee the French wouldn't tolerate that sort of thing).

I used the subway in Vienna a lot. It's wasn't beautiful, but it was cheap, clean, uncrowded and safe...

Public transit is a reflection of the country. You can do it right, or you can screw up. We are screwups.

On 11/24/2018 at 11:55 AM, shootingstar said:

then breaks out in this sort of stupid undercover rebelliousness/perversion.

Why is this stupid?  I think the guys legitimately want to see up the ladies skirts, and they probably don't know another way to do it.  The Japanese are very resourceful at times.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Why is this stupid?  I think the guys legitimately want to see up the ladies skirts, and they probably don't know another way to do it.  The Japanese are very resourceful at times.

Why does everything have to be high tech? Mirrors on the shoes always worked for previous generations.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:32 PM, shootingstar said:

It's happening in our city, merging some routes and cutting others.  We live in a sprawl city. I actually think our city has taken a huge step backward for next few years...after looking at the shocking speed of suburbs for new single family dwelling expansion and transit very far.  Our city can't afford to expand outward: costs a municipality millions more dollars annually in building and maintaining utility lines, roads (snow removal), recreation, just huge. A prairie city unlike a mountain city or a city by ocean, large lake, has no natural barriers to expansion.

It is estimated our costs will increase in annual property tax by $115.00+.  The breakdown for how this extra household property tax will be used, is shown in breakdown per month for next 4 years.

It actually sad people bitch and expect municipal services to be free and expect constant outward expansion of a city without any costs to themselves. It's even more appalling when it's some municipal employees who complain of this cost themselves.  Just stupid...well duh.  Who is paying your salary?

So when a big city expands outward, their borders outward and no condo buildings/no commercial land...it truly means serious $$$$$$ is required forever from residential taxpayers.  So supporting urban sprawl becomes long term financially huge.  No I don't think suburbs should be paying less property tax.  Should be evened out with those in the core.

image.thumb.png.05419142b8d0103a64f05d5eb8549086.png

Well it costed our city $1 million to clear snow that fell over a 48 hrs. period.  I live in a car-dominant city where they've cut down some transit routes...meanwhile expanded outward by approving 14 new suburban communities.  It really is wrong planning.

Public transit in North America for those who understand how to use it, doesn't even approach levels experienced by other big cities outside of North America.  

• Heart 2

27 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Well it costed our city $1 million to clear snow that fell over a 48 hrs. period.  I live in a car-dominant city where they've cut down some transit routes...meanwhile expanded outward by approving 14 new suburban communities.  It really is wrong planning.

That is nothing, they use million dollar mirrors to look up skirts on the subways here when it snows.

• Awesome 1

12 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Do they use salt? 

We use beet brine...it's less damaging to grass, etc. than salt.  It is made....from probably leftover red beet processing sludge.  It looks reddish, brown.  It was introduced just less than 2 yrs. ago.

I am not sure what causes arrogance among some folks about using transit. Even some people who use transit are ashamed to tell others they use transit. ie. arrive at a job for an interview and not want to admit they use transit.  That is pretty sad.  Such arrogance. I realize you are jokin' but not really.  Transit is for peons/peasants in the minds of some aggressive /impatient drivers.

As those who live in the big cities, transit is used by those attending a wedding party, a hot date out, going to work all dressed for a meeting.  I did it ….for 3 decades and it wasn't hard. It wasn't shameful. And I'm probably healthier for it (plus cycle-commuting).

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

As those who live in the big cities, transit is used by those attending a wedding party, a hot date out, going to work all dressed for a meeting.  I did it ….for 3 decades and it wasn't hard. It wasn't shameful. And I'm probably healthier for it (plus cycle-commuting).

Big cities, the only mass transit we have out in the boonies is the handicap short bus to take people to their doctor appointments. You have to be certified handicap to use it, having a broken leg won’t cut it without the paperwork.

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

Big cities, the only mass transit we have out in the boonies is the handicap short bus to take people to their doctor appointments. You have to be certified handicap to use it, having a broken leg won’t cut it without the paperwork.

Each person makes a choice to live the remainder of their years in certain areas with advantages and disadvantages.,,,

I'm not waiting around to hear how other people who don't have children, plan to deal with not driving one day  (and even if children don't help out parents.).  We've made our decisions....years ago, live somewhere close to many amenities by walking short distance and broadest range of safe transportation choices near by.  

7 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Each person makes a choice to live the remainder of their years in certain areas with advantages and disadvantages.,,,

I'm not waiting around to hear how other people who don't have children, plan to deal with not driving one day  (and even if children don't help out parents.).  We've made our decisions....years ago, live somewhere close to many amenities by walking short distance and broadest range of safe transportation choices near by.  

My 86 year old mother lives out in the boonies, (in the house I grew up in near Elmira), where there is no regular scheduled public transit. What they do have is a service provided by the Kiwanis Club that is available to senior citizens. With 48 hours notice, she can get a ride anywhere within the region for a grand total of $2.00.

She makes use of that service regularly.

• Awesome 1

46 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

My 86 year old mother lives out in the boonies, (in the house I grew up in near Elmira), where there is no regular scheduled public transit. What they do have is a service provided by the Kiwanis Club that is available to senior citizens. With 48 hours notice, she can get a ride anywhere within the region for a grand total of $2.00.

She makes use of that service regularly.

She is getting great, exceptional service compared to most less mobile seniors for public transit in the boonies.  Of course, still not as convenient as regular transit close by. 

• Heart 1