Jump to content

I'm thinking of buying some casement windows


Road Runner
 Share

Recommended Posts

Let's see. Tropical environment with that palm tree. They will let a lot of bugs in.

Casements are nice but not really the style around here. I have been shopping as well and will request quotes after the holidays. My debate is sliders (like what I have now) or double hung. The advantage of casement is the ability for 100% open where the others can only be 50% open for airflow as it covers the other half of the window. What have found in terms of cost vinyl is least expensive, fiberglass middle, and wood, like pictured most expensive. Double pane with argon gas most efficient both summer and winter. Putting blinds internally between the 2 glass panes reduces the efficiency. Also, triple pane has an extra thick glass panel - presented as hurricane proof or theft resistant to breakage as extremely heavy.

  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I was maintenance supervisor at a large summer camp/retreat center we were told not to use casement windows on any new construction or replacement windows. Kids were always getting hurt running into them running around outside, especially in the dark. On a house that is not as likely to happen. If they didn’t have accident reports to back them up I wouldn’t have believed it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When we moved into this house there were three pairs of casements but they were probably original (some 40 years) and when we replaced them we put in double hung probably because it was cheaper. 

All kidding aside - I regret it. I do think they look good, but it's mostly about the airflow. If you take a rectangular opening and put in double hung windows (like we did) , the max open area is roughly half the total opening. But assuming casements that open 90 degrees, they pretty much allow you to open the whole thing. The east-west air flow through our kitchen/dining area is not what it used to be.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

When we moved into this house there were three pairs of casements but they were probably original (some 40 years) and when we replaced them we put in double hung probably because it was cheaper. 

All kidding aside - I regret it. I do think they look good, but it's mostly about the airflow. If you take a rectangular opening and put in double hung windows (like we did) , the max open area is roughly half the total opening. But assuming casements that open 90 degrees, they pretty much allow you to open the whole thing. The east-west air flow through our kitchen/dining area is not what it used to be.

Wait, you are saying Cheese is right?  Excuse me, but it is going to take me a while to wrap my head around this one! :D

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Yup.  Hinges on the side. Crank open.  Open out.

Not as good as double hung.

I had two of the five windows on the bow window I installed in my house made as casement windows and, instead of the standard end windows being the casement windows, I had the 2nd and 4th so they'd have a clear shot of sending air right into the house with out being partly blocked by draperies or blinds.  That worked very well!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Tizeye said:

Let's see. Tropical environment with that palm tree. They will let a lot of bugs in.

Casements are nice but not really the style around here. I have been shopping as well and will request quotes after the holidays. My debate is sliders (like what I have now) or double hung.

Bugs shouldn't be a problem as long as the screens are in. ???

Sliders are my least favorite. They always end up binding. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, smudge said:

Bugs shouldn't be a problem as long as the screens are in. ???

Sliders are my least favorite. They always end up binding. 

Yeah, that is my dilemma. While sliders are the existing/original style some in the neighborhood have converted to double hung. I would except for the two major windows in the living room and family room. They are both over 100 inches wide and comprised of two window units with the sliders opening from the left and right side towards the center. doublehung would be up and down, obviously. However, if I stay with sliders can have it built as a single unit eliminating the center post with solid center "plate" glass window when sliders closed and the sliders from left and right sides. That would look really nice.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...