Dam kids these days

BR46

He said that we were going for brunch......

His girlfriend won't be ready to meet up until around 2. 

Screw this I have to eat something now or my diabetes will be all out of control. 

Somethings never change. 

• Heart 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, BR46 said:

Screw this I have to eat something now or my diabetes will be all out of control. 

Somethings never change. 

Are you relying on them for a car ride to the eating place?

Yea, next time have a nice recipe at home as a backup or try a take-out occasionally.  

3 hours ago, BR46 said:

Somethings never change. 

I know what you mean. I was taking 2 nephews from different siblings' homes to the Ripley's Believe It Or Not Odditorium in Baltimore last summer.

The 10 year-old was ready on time.  My sister told me the 17 year-old "didn't feel well enough to go - but call him later."

That's familyese for "He is too lazy to get up on time for me to drive him to the 10 year-old's home on my way to work."

So the 10 yr-old and I went to breakfast at Denny's, took a doggie bag back to his house, and called the 17 year-old.

Yeah, he was ready to go and couldn't wait!

Picking him up put us 45 minutes behind schedule - luckily, you can do all the good stuff at the Odditoruium: believe it or not exhibit, 3D-maze, 4D-theatre in 3-4 hours so we didn't have to cut anything short.

The 17 year-old hopes to go to West Virginia U next year and has the SAT's to get in, but I have to keep reminding him that college success if more about being responsible and on-time than being smart and urge him to motivate himself to act that way in school this year.

1604889999_RyanAdamMick.jpg.16f3472bedebf535a8fce127cecedbeb.jpg

• Heart 2

Honest coming from a big family, 1 lazy sibling being way off the group readiness time, holds 7 other people up...  You begin to realize everyone else in family no longer pays much attention to you if always way too tardy...especially when is an older teen.  OR being an older one responsible for herding younger siblings to be on time together.... one learns sooner..

Mick's idea of bringing home a leftover restaurant bag is a good idea/message to the tardy one(s).

3 hours ago, shootingstar said:

always way too tardy...especially when is an older teen.  

I'm dealing with people in their 30s. It seems like we always have to go to some hip place that always on the other side of town. It ends up being a hour drive and by the time everybody gets going we are sitting down to eat at 9:30pm. 

With trying to keep the diabetes in control I try to keep on a schedule with eating. Every time I'm here it's hard to keep the glucose under 150.

I would never be able to deal with this Atlanta traffic. I'm so used to being in a small town with no traffic lights and I can walk every where in town in 10 minutes. 

Don't get me wrong I enjoy spending time with my son and his girlfriend. But the world doesn't revolve around her. 

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I'm dealing with people in their 30s. It seems like we always have to go to some hip place that always on the other side of town. It ends up being a hour drive and by the time everybody gets going we are sitting down to eat at 9:30pm. 

With trying to keep the diabetes in control I try to keep on a schedule with eating. Every time I'm here it's hard to keep the glucose under 150.

I would never be able to deal with this Atlanta traffic. I'm so used to being in a small town with no traffic lights and I can walk every where in town in 10 minutes. 

Don't get me wrong I enjoy spending time with my son and his girlfriend. But the world doesn't revolve around her. 

Have you tried to explain this to son? I hope you find some ideas ...in fact, propose they come up with some great ideas...to change up things occasionally.  

21 minutes ago, BR46 said:

He's well aware of things she not and doesn't really care but I still love them. 

Tough one. Could you find a place not necessarily in your town, but a closer to suggest.  Otherwise it's take-in dishes and they chip in something in cost/bring something.  Or do something that has nothing to do with eating. 

My mother tends to suggest a Chinese restaurant waaay out in the suburbs in Metro Toronto, when neither she nor my siblings and their families live in that far flung quadrant of the city.  So sibs have suggested certain good places closer to 1 of their homes.  Mother doesn't have much choice to challenge them....because she is driven by a sibling of mine. ? Or it's potluck, which creates some challenges which mother wants to cook ...she is getting less mobile.  For sure my sibs don't try expensive restaurant or they never hear the end of it from mother.  She often ends up ordering from the menu for several dishes for everyone. You get the picture.  She does make intelligent choices and is open to some suggestions.

Family get togethers can get abit complicated.  I do have a family that genuinely enjoys eating together...because it is a chance to eat Chinese food....that's different from what we make at home!  So everyone is fine with it all because it doesn't happen often (only a few times annually) so everyone is aware that time is....ultimately limited as years march on.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Honest coming from a big family, 1 lazy sibling being way off the group readiness time, holds 7 other people up...  You begin to realize everyone else in family no longer pays much attention to you if always way too tardy...especially when is an older teen.  OR being an older one responsible for herding younger siblings to be on time together.... one learns sooner..

Mick's idea of bringing home a leftover restaurant bag is a good idea/message to the tardy one(s).

This is my family too.  We are a big family and are punctual to a fault. 15 minutes prior is  on time, on time is late. 

27 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

This is my family too.  We are a big family and are punctual to a fault. 15 minutes prior is  on time, on time is late. 

When I was a teen, for day trips out of town, guess who was late...deliberately:  my mother. We would wait for over 30 min. in the car for her.  Looking back at times, I think it was deliberate...because she was doing a ton of work to prepare food and us young kids for this day trip in car.  It was her way of not bending to yet another demand from her own husband and 6 children. In hindsight, given her exhaustion, it is not totally surprising.  Of course, my father did all the driving.  I had very patient father....he would go into the house to talk to her.  

But generally speaking we are pretty good at trying to be on time /within stated time range...or inform others if we were going to be late for a known reason.

In BR46's situation, seems like son's girlfriend will not see the light,, unless son stands up for father once in awhile. It's actually not asking much at all for this situation.

10 hours ago, shootingstar said:

son's girlfriend will not see the light,, unless son stands up for father once in awhile. It's actually not asking much 

He can be some what the same way.

The part that was pissing me off was I was told that we were going to meet up with his girlfriend in Atlanta for brunch around 10:30ish. We didn't sit down to eat till after 2 at a place where 2 scrambled eggs and 1 sausage patty and 1 cup of coffee was 13 dollars. No tost....that would have been 3 dollars more and I wasn't that hungry because I ate a samitch earlier because I was sick of waiting.

Sometimes you have to think about the other people involved not just your self. 

One day we were coming home from a race in Ohio and I was starting to get hungry. So I call my son who is in his truck with his motorcycle in the back just ahead of us. The plan was to get somethingto eat and then he will head south and we will head back to Wisconsin. 

He calls back in a few minutes with a place that a old college buddy recommended (a 30 year old guy with skinny jeans and a nose ring ) So we follow him in our motorhome through some narrow streets in the poring rain in Columbus Ohio.

I was thinking of some place just off the interstate with truck parking. 

When my son parked his truck and came over to the motorhome I asked him just where do you think I'm going to be able to park this thing. I got a blank look and I didn't think of that. My response was your the f#@king engineer. 

After we ate at some place that specializes in black bean hummus raps for $9 each we head our separate ways with my son heading to Georgia and Wo46 and I headed for Wisconsin. 

Now I'm on some narrow city streets in a city I don't know where I am miles off the interstate in the poring rain will no gps signal driving a motorhome pulling a trailer.

I reminded him that will never happen again.

Some things never change.  

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, BR46 said:

I'm sitting in the Atlanta airport waiting for my flight. 

This place is f%&king nuts. 

If you order a sandwich from Chick Fil A don't use BR46 when they ask your first name. When they asked me my first name I said John, they told me to wait over there and they would call me when my order was ready. I just got over there and they called John, I thought that was really quick, then I noticed five other John's came up to pick up the order. Now when fast food asks my first name I tell them Yukon.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

If you order a sandwich from Chick Fil A don't use BR46 when they ask your first name. When they asked me my first name I said John, they told me to wait over there and they would call me when my order was ready. I just got over there and they called John, I thought that was really quick, then I noticed five other John's came up to pick up the order. Now when fast food asks my first name I tell them Yukon.

I use the name P. W, Herman

• Awesome 2