Have any of 'you' folks read books by Richard Ford?

sheep_herder

2 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Or, have any of you seen or plan to see the movie 'Wildlife' that was loosely based on his novel?  I saw an interview this morning with this author that currently resides in Montana.  I enjoyed the program and wondered if I might like his books.

He's a great writer. I bet you'd love his stuff. Have you read Ivan Doig or Richard Russo? 

I'm reading Leif Enger's latest. I like him quite a bit. Russo is great. I need to dig into Doig.

2 minutes ago, dennis said:

He's a great writer. I bet you'd love his stuff. Have you read Ivan Doig or Richard Russo? 

I'm reading Leif Enger's latest. I like him quite a bit. Russo is great. I need to dig into Doig.

I tried Doig, but was never able to appreciate his style of writing.  I've not read any of Richard Russo's works.

1 minute ago, sheep_herder said:

I tried Doig, but was never able to appreciate his style of writing.  I've not read any of Richard Russo's works.

Russo's Empire Falls is a good read. I'd like to read Straight Man. 

I'm really enjoying Enger's Virgil Wander, but it was due at the library and somebody had a hold on it. I need to get back in line so I can finish it. 

I read The Sportswriter years ago during my New Orleans life. Learned of the book from a LBS (local book shop) in the Quarter I liked to go to. Loved that book. So when Independence Day came out I read that one too. It didn't capture my attention as much, but it was well written. 

As someone that has had prostate cancer, and spends a fair bit of time contemplating my mortality, there are simply too many parallels there with my life.

My wife keeps reading Carl Hiaasen books, and suggesting that I start reading them again.  I just can't muster any enthusiasm for anything fictional that reminds me of how badly, and in how many ways, we screwed the pooch.

I'm reading a decent scifi at the moment. Humanity is still massively screwed up, just not suicidal.

• Confused 1