NHL Quarter Point

Prophet Zacharia

Sorry, I was busy making an effigy of Holmgren.  I have to wait for the kerosene to soak in so I have a few minutes.

Stupid.   Stupid stupid stupid.

Paul Holmgren screwed this team with stupid deadline deals that emptied the farm system and nailed the salary cap to the roof.  So he got replaced for that, but they put him in charge of his replacement.  WHAT?!  Hextall did a great job fixing the mess, it took years, but really it's not til next year that they get to reap the benefits because it's a bad idea to have a team full of rookies in front of a kid goalie.

My guess is that Holmgren finally got tired of waiting, insisted Hextall bring up all the kids and Carter Hart RIGHT NOW, and Hextall refused and quit or got fired.   Hextall would be the correct one here.

Or, Holmgren insisted Hextall fire his buddy Hakstol, and he refused.  Holmgren would be the correct one here.

Hakstol wasn't on the ice with the team this morning, so the assumption is he was about to be fired.   Since the meeting with the GM went south, now they'll wait for the next GM to pick a coach.

Knowing the Flyers, Holmgren will be the next GM and we rewind the clock to 1977 and start the countdown again.

1 hour ago, 12string said:

Sorry, I was busy making an effigy of Holmgren.  I have to wait for the kerosene to soak in so I have a few minutes.

Stupid.   Stupid stupid stupid.

Paul Holmgren screwed this team with stupid deadline deals that emptied the farm system and nailed the salary cap to the roof.  So he got replaced for that, but they put him in charge of his replacement.  WHAT?!  Hextall did a great job fixing the mess, it took years, but really it's not til next year that they get to reap the benefits because it's a bad idea to have a team full of rookies in front of a kid goalie.

My guess is that Holmgren finally got tired of waiting, insisted Hextall bring up all the kids and Carter Hart RIGHT NOW, and Hextall refused and quit or got fired.   Hextall would be the correct one here.

Or, Holmgren insisted Hextall fire his buddy Hakstol, and he refused.  Holmgren would be the correct one here.

Hakstol wasn't on the ice with the team this morning, so the assumption is he was about to be fired.   Since the meeting with the GM went south, now they'll wait for the next GM to pick a coach.

Knowing the Flyers, Holmgren will be the next GM and we rewind the clock to 1977 and start the countdown again.

I figured they demanded he fire Hakstol and he wouldn’t. Because not even Holmgren could be so stupid as to override a former goalie’s assessment that Hart isn’t ready, especially when Hart is 8-8 with an 0.884 sv% in the AHL.

And I too see Holmgren trying to regain GM control at this time, and other times calling up to help him out with trade offers galore.

I wouldn't put it past Holmgren to demand Hart.  His total lack of patience is what caused the problem Hextall fixed

Whichever it was, we're going to get stories about there being an argument in Homer's office, and since he's in charge...........

Just stupid.  I'd take Hextall's plan  over Holmgren's ANY day.

The only decent part of this is there's rumors about Dean Lombardi getting the  job.

I wish they would just stop with the charade and admit that Homer rehired himself as GM.

What happened to letting the new GM decide?  Director of player personnel fired?  After he helped take the worst farm system in hockey and turn it into the best in just 4 years?  Murphy gone, but Lappy gets to stay even though his special teams units have been horrible for years?

Oh, right, Lappy is old school Flyers, he gets to stay since they're turning back the clock to the days when they trade away the future for old washed up nobodies so we can win a playoff round THIS YEAR!!!!