Jump to content

Did I almost get hacked??


late
 Share

Recommended Posts

I got an email that said it was from Amazon. $50 if you take a survey. So I do the survey, and at the end they offer crap. Cheap diet pills, that sort of thing. So I didn't try to get my free offer.

Suddenly my email stopped working, and when I tried to change my password, is said I got my grandmothers name wrong. Hey, I may be out of it, but I'm not that far out of it.

So I call Spectrum, and eventually I got a human being. He sounded bizarrely like my supervisor at my last job. He couldn't find anything wrong, and when I clicked on my email, it popped right up.

So either I have been super hacked, or, more likely, Spectrum was having one of it's usual farts where things don't work right. Yes, kids, I pay top dollar for third rate service.

Whatta country.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No you got hacked.  I'd check your bank balance every day for the next 30 days and notify all your contacts that you have compromised their on-line identities.  

If I were you, I wouldn't be able to sleep for a month.

Oh, did I mention keeping tabs on your credit score daily?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, late said:

I got an email that said it was from Amazon. $50 if you take a survey. So I do the survey, and at the end they offer crap. Cheap diet pills, that sort of thing. So I didn't try to get my free offer.

Suddenly my email stopped working, and when I tried to change my password, is said I got my grandmothers name wrong. Hey, I may be out of it, but I'm not that far out of it.

So I call Spectrum, and eventually I got a human being. He sounded bizarrely like my supervisor at my last job. He couldn't find anything wrong, and when I clicked on my email, it popped right up.

So either I have been super hacked, or, more likely, Spectrum was having one of it's usual farts where things don't work right. Yes, kids, I pay top dollar for third rate service.

Whatta country.

Did spectrum make you click on the link and take the survey? Do you really believe amazon is giving away $50 to take a survey? 

You might need to rethink who deserves the blame here.

  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, dennis said:

Did spectrum make you click on the link and take the survey? Do you really believe amazon is giving away $50 to take a survey? 

You might need to rethink who deserves the blame here.

I blame Spectrum for crappy service, not my mistakes.

Perhaps this would help:

AN275-cup-of-coffee-732x549-Thumb.jpg?w=

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

No you got hacked.  I'd check your bank balance every day for the next 30 days and notify all your contacts that you have compromised their on-line identities.  

If I were you, I wouldn't be able to sleep for a month.

Oh, did I mention keeping tabs on your credit score daily?

Gonna wait to contact my people until I get evidence I've been hacked. The Spectrum guy couldn't find anything, and Amazon would be the only easy target for them, and I've checked it twice in the hour, or so, since it happened.

But yeah, I'll need to stay on my toes.

Just checked Amazon again, including archived orders.

Crossing my fingers, toes, eyes, and whatever else I can think of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, late said:

I blame Spectrum for crappy service, not my mistakes.

Charter was rebranded as Spectrum because everyone, including me, was getting tired of their crappy service. Seems that the name change went OK....

I'm thinking that you were hacked. I never click on links anymore. I manually go to the web site. Often I'll hover over a hyperlink to see what it says, but even that can be confusing as web sites often use different web addresses than their normal for things like surveys.

I suggest shutting down your computer while holding down the Shift key (I'm assuming Windows 10 here). Then open it up and run a good malware detector.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Charter was rebranded as Spectrum because everyone, including me, was getting tired of their crappy service. Seems that the name change went OK....

I'm thinking that you were hacked. I never click on links anymore. I manually go to the web site. Often I'll hover over a hyperlink to see what it says, but even that can be confusing as web sites often use different web addresses than their normal for things like surveys.

I suggest shutting down your computer while holding down the Shift key (I'm assuming Windows 10 here). Then open it up and run a good malware detector.

I downloaded Malwarebytes, scanned, restarted the computer, and scanned again. Nada.

I just might have dodged the bullet this time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was on my FIL computer last night printing some stuff. He died last year..his e mail pops up and there is an e mail from his daughter dated last month. I'm like that is odd. Why would she send her dead dad an e mail? The e mail said something like...thought you would enjoy this ....and a helpful link.  I put in the spam for lunch folder and called it a day

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After the local security scan, I would change the password at Amazon and the password on your email. I got hit by an Amazon scam a few years ago. I believe they were fishing for my password. Fortunately, you have a couple of the most powerful service companies on the planet on your side.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

You can go to your Amazon home page and check your orders and order history often.  The instant you see a bad order you can have them lock down your account.

Done that 4 times so far, including archived orders (because a crafty crook can hide an order in there).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you clicked on a link for a survey that promised you anything in return, it wasn't Amazon or whoever they claimed to be.  And they don't need to leave anything a Malware seeker will find to hack you.  And your ISP may not know.  You may have given up info during the survey that's enough

Never, ever EVER click on links you get in an email that asks you to click on the links.

And, BTW, get some more money in that bank account so your credit rating goes up.  I got turned down for 3 credit cards just in the last 3 hours!

  • Haha 2
  • Envious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, 12string said:

If you clicked on a link for a survey that promised you anything in return, it wasn't Amazon or whoever they claimed to be.  And they don't need to leave anything a Malware seeker will find to hack you.  And your ISP may not know.  You may have given up info during the survey that's enough

Never, ever EVER click on links you get in an email that asks you to click on the links.

And, BTW, get some more money in that bank account so your credit rating goes up.  I got turned down for 3 credit cards just in the last 3 hours!

I am still waiting on the pics my new russian girlfriend promised to send.  How long does that normally take?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, late said:

I downloaded Malwarebytes, scanned, restarted the computer, and scanned again. Nada.

I just might have dodged the bullet this time.

Download ADWCleaner from Malwarebytes as well. Scans quickly and finds thing Malwarebytes doesn't and vice-versa. 

Anytime I see a link in an email, I remember the bookkeeper who clicked on a link that said her UPS invoice was there. She was busy and didn't think. It encrypted EVERYTHING Office, .pdf or .jpg related. 35 years of records held hostage! Luckily we had convinced them to do an online backup service. We were able to restore all, but the last 2 hours of work before the incident! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, groupw said:

Download ADWCleaner from Malwarebytes as well. Scans quickly and finds thing Malwarebytes doesn't and vice-versa. 

Anytime I see a link in an email, I remember the bookkeeper who clicked on a link that said her UPS invoice was there. She was busy and didn't think. It encrypted EVERYTHING Office, .pdf or .jpg related. 35 years of records held hostage! Luckily we had convinced them to do an online backup service. We were able to restore all, but the last 2 hours of work before the incident! 

Thanks, I did that, and ADW found nothing.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you didn't open a attachment or give them any passwords or financial info through an email, they didn't get enough to cause you problems.

Otherwise check your stuff carefully and change your passwords.

There's an article that was originally published on USA Today's website, Secrets of a former Credit Card Thief (https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/secrets-former-credit-card-thief-dan-defelippi-1282.php), where he advises people to sign up for Intuit's free mint.com: it gives you one site where you can check all your accounts often and it gives you warnings for unusual spending after you set up the parameters.

I do not keep my brokerage accounts listed there, but I keep all my credit card and banking info there.

Last year, one credit card that I took on vacation with me has a strange charge of around a dollar for "Hulu."  The date was on the day we spent in Ft. Lauderdale before going to nearby Miami to board our cruise, so I assumed it was something I charged at some place there with the same name as the video company and forgot about.

The next month, on the same day of the month, I had a "Hulu" charge for about $2.  I tracked it down and it was the video company.  I then called my credit card's company and was told that's how credit card thieves start, putting small, occasionally charges on the card to see if you notice.  They refunded the charges and gave me a new card number.  I called Hulu and it turns out the "thief" didn't use my name or the right 3-digit code number on the back of the card.  I asked how they charged to my card and was told Hulu doesn't check closely and just checks to see if the card number is good and feeds it right through to the card company that way.

So, apparently, someone probably entered there card number with a wrong digit that matched my card and I got charged.  They should require name and security code at all times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...