Second Class Joint

jsharr

52 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I was never a scout and neither was my son.  What does that mean? I take it it's a good thing, progressing through the ranks but what are the steps?

Here is what Ryan had to do to achieve Second Class

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/boy-scouts/2ndclass-scouts.asp

Each rank builds on the last and enforces the aims and methods of scouting.  Duty to God, Duty to Country and Duty to Self, along with the 12 points of the Scout Law.  The Scout has to show his knowledge in various areas like citizenship, outdoor skills and ethics, personal fitness, personal finance, and do a certain amount of service work outside of regular scout troop meetings and campouts.

The Scout has to track his achievements and get them signed off by one of his peers who is a Patrol Leader.  Once he has done all the rank requirements, he requests a Scout Masters conference with the Troops adult leader.  If the Leader approves the work the Scout has done, then the Scout reaches out to the Troop Committee Chair and requests a Board of Review.  This is an interview with three adult Scout leaders who review the work that has been done, give guidance and help encourage the Scout to plan for his next rank.  TThe Scout then takes his signed Scout handbook to the Troop Advancement chair and his new rank is recorded and awarded.  In our troop, he gets to move his name to the next rank as seen in the picture.  A Scouts own parents cannot sign off on his achievements or advancement and cannot sit on his board of review.

The process is designed to help the scout learn leadership and independence and learn to do the work and get the work approved. all skills that are valuable later in life.

Scout, Tenderfoot, Second Class and First Class are the first four ranks and they are about learning the skills.  Lord Baden Powell, the founder of the Scouting movement said that a Scout had to earn First Class to truly consider himself a Scout.  Ryan should complete his First Class rank in the next month or so.

Life, Star and Eagle are the next three ranks and they focus much more on the service and leadership aspects of Scouting.

Ryan is halfway to Eagle Scout.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I was never a scout and neither was my son.  What does that mean? I take it it's a good thing, progressing through the ranks but what are the steps?

I personally only went through cub scouts.

I had a number of students, throughout my teaching/coaching career who invited me to their Eagle Scout induction ceremony and every one of them was a teen who had the self-discipline, self-confidence and sense of responsibility that gave them excellent chances to do well in collage and in life.

This looks like another great kid. Well done jsharr!

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

there are no former Eagle Scouts.  Congratulations.  You earned it.

...one of the hardest things I had to do in scouting was to learn to swim really well.  I never had much in the way of lessons as a small kid (which is what you need to swim really well).  But there were all those lifesaving and swimming badge requirements, so I signed up for a crash course along with one of my friends taught by the Red Cross that was supposed to result in qualification in senior lifesaving.  It turned out to be the WSI course, and the guy who taught it was so impressed that a person who swam like me did not die in the lifesaving portion. that he let me finish out the WSI portion.  That was a hard thing.  But boy howdy it was a game changing event in my life. :)

I wish your scouts there the same benefits.  And even if they end up rolling joints later on, the experience and knowledge they gain will help them to succeed as worthless hippies.  Testify. :cheerleader:

• Heart 1