Back to coffee

ChrisL

Wow who woulda thunk those little Nespresso packets could pack so much sugar????  I've been drinking 2 of those caramel espressos daily for a couple of weeks and noticed a marked increase in my blood glucose.  With the holidays and being sick elevated glucose wouldn't be out of the ordinary but I've been eating well for days and feel great....

352 grams of sugar per cup and I've been drinking 2!  Holy shiznit that's a lot of sugar!  But the packets are so small !?!?!? 

I drink one pot of black coffee each morning. Usually in the evening I drink one or two beers. I sleep good with the beer instead of coffee in the evening. I recently switched to black decalf in the evening and I’m still sleeping well. I’ll see how the long term effects are. The decalf wasn’t as bad as I remembered it to be but this was from a local roaster and not just canned coffee from a grocery.

21 minutes ago, late said:

That's just another pod, and I think you can get them unflavored.

My "flavored" pods from Rosso have no sugar.  Just "coffee & natural flavors".  A packet seems like something you add to the coffee - powder form maybe?

35 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

The little foil pods or packets about the size of a ravioli.  

Mine are the bigger kind and I don't see how they would even have sugar in them, since they hold coffee grinds and are usually just pierced by tiny holes to force the water through them.

Image result for nespresso pods

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

Plain black coffee.  

Breakfast is oatmeal with walnuts.

Lunch is chicken and veggies or a salad.

Dinner has been my big challenge but as a family we are working to eat cleaner and healthier.  Last night was a spicy tofu over noodles.

I don't see any cashews in there??

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Mine are the bigger kind and I don't see how they would even have sugar in them, since they hold coffee grinds and are usually just pierced by tiny holes to force the water through them.

Image result for nespresso pods

I have been trying to sort this out myself.  I can't explain the spike otherwise and am seeing some conflicting data on the packets.  It does seem many of the flavored packets do have sugar tho.  

Gonna skip the Nespresso and see what happens.

13 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have been trying to sort this out myself.  I can't explain the spike otherwise and am seeing some conflicting data on the packets.  It does seem many of the flavored packets do have sugar tho.  

Gonna skip the Nespresso and see what happens.

Go with the simple coffee/espresso options and add 1/2 & 1/2 (and sugar) if you like.  I thought black coffee actually helped with diabetes/sugar numbers, so maybe you just need to use standard brewed black coffee :D

27 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

352 grams of sugar per cup and I've been drinking 2!  Holy shiznit that's a lot of sugar!  But the packets are so small !?!?!? 

That can't be right.  More than 3/4 of a pound.

I saw 352 carbs on the my fitness pal account, but still can't be right.

Yeah - even the MOST OVER-THE-TOP Starbucks Frappucino is less than 100 grams added sugar.  

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Go with the simple coffee/espresso options and add 1/2 & 1/2 (and sugar) if you like.  I thought black coffee actually helped with diabetes/sugar numbers, so maybe you just need to use standard brewed black coffee :D

51 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - even the MOST OVER-THE-TOP Starbucks Frappucino is less than 100 grams added sugar.  

You see my point  with the conflicting data....

I've been a black coffee drinker for decades and just recently started drinking the Nespresso and just recently started seeing an increase in my glucose.  But I've also been sick for over a week which always elevates my glucose and then I figured thanksgiving pie did me in so the numbers are somewhat muddled with other circumstances.

Even if it's a 100 grams 2X that's way too much sugar as I'm normally around 100 grams a day.  Back to black coffee.

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I've been a black coffee drinker for decades and just recently started drinking the Nespresso and just recently started seeing an increase in my glucose.  But I've also been sick for over a week which always elevates my glucose and then I figured thanksgiving pie did me in so the numbers are somewhat muddled with other circumstances.

Even if it's a 100 grams 2X that's way too much sugar as I'm normally around 100 grams a day.  Back to black coffee.

There are 454 grams in a pound.  You must have a very big coffee cup.?

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I think it is safe to say that the Nespresso pods are NOT to blame in any sort of way for the spike.   But just by the Nespresso site, I can't find anything indicating Nespresso has any sugar - added or not - in any of their pods.  Like the Rosso ones I use, it is simply super-fine ground coffee and potentially natural flavors.

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I think it is safe to say that the Nespresso pods are NOT to blame in any sort of way for the spike.   But just by the Nespresso site, I can't find anything indicating Nespresso has any sugar - added or not - in any of their pods.  Like the Rosso ones I use, it is simply super-fine ground coffee and potentially natural flavors.

Yeah weird... The pods are small which was my initial thought, how bad could they be...  I'm going to skip them for a week and see what my numbers do.