Anyone ever successfully recovered deleted text messages on your phone?

TrentonMakes

3 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I had no idea this could be done.

We found an app that claimed it could be done but it didn't work.  There seem to be others too, free or otherwise.  Figured if someone had a success story I'd love to hear it.

From what I read, apparently when you delete texts, they aren't really "deleted" but those bits/sectors/whatever are marked as "available" and until they are overwritten by new data (texts) the information may still be there.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

From what I read, apparently when you delete texts, they aren't really "deleted" but those bits/sectors/whatever are marked as "available" and until they are overwritten by new data (texts) the information may still be there.

So it's like recovering deleted items on a hard drive. Makes sense.

• Heart 1

43 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

In that case, stop using the phone. Turn it off. The bits and bytes of the text message may well be on the phone but in an area of storage marked to be overwritten. The next text, phone call, or cute cat video could well overwrite that deleted text.

If the phone has an SD card, you might be able to pull it out and make a complete copy of the contents including deleted files.

This might be left best to an expert.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

And if Google can't answer the question, I doubt we can :(  Recovering stuff on a PC HD just seems like it would be easier than a phone.  Maybe a backup exists on the Verizon "cloud", but I don't know if Apple saves texts to their cloud or if it is just photos, notes, contact sort of stuff, but maybe if Apple does it, then Android would similarly do it?

I know, for law enforcement, they CAN get the text messages from Verizon.  A little of the grey area - for Apple - is that iMessages are not real text messages, so they are encrypted, so maybe Android does the same for Android -> Android messages? SMS text message are NOT encrypted, so they would be visible to Verizon and likely could be subpoened.

15 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

And if Google can't answer the question, I doubt we can :(  Recovering stuff on a PC HD just seems like it would be easier than a phone.  Maybe a backup exists on the Verizon "cloud", but I don't know if Apple saves texts to their cloud or if it is just photos, notes, contact sort of stuff, but maybe if Apple does it, then Android would similarly do it?

Agree aboot a PC being easier. Verizon has cloud backup but I opt out of it. I don't need it and Verizon charges a fee. Contacts are backed up however at no charge. I have android.