Metric conversion

Further

1 minute ago, Further said:

This came up at work at today, it was amazing how many guys knew 28 grams = 1 ounce

but had no clue how many millimeters to the inch    :scratchhead:

Well it's been a few decades since I was in that world but I seem to remember that in PA it was the difference between distribution and personal use.  They took both very seriously in the 70's.  One was a felony and the other was simply a misdemeanor.  The state of PA tried to lock you up for life for distribution and only like 5 to 10 for the less than an ounce.

There was that one night that I got away from the local cops......

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

Well it's been a few decades since I was in that world but I seem to remember that in PA it was the difference between distribution and personal use.  They took both very seriously in the 70's.  One was a felony and the other was simply a misdemeanor.  The state of PA tried to lock you up for life for distribution and only like 5 to 10 for the less than an ounce.

There was that one night that I got away from the local cops......

According to the “super lawyers” website, the cutoff in Pa is 30 grams.

“Small Amount of marijuana is defined as possessing less than 30 grams of cannabis for personal use. There are 28.5 grams in an ounce, a common unit in which marijuana is sold in the United States. The maximum penalty for possession of a small amount of marijuana in Pennsylvania is 30 days in jail and a $500 fine.“

By contrast, possession over 30 grams is subject to up to 5 years in prison and $15,000 fine.

3 hours ago, Further said:

This came up at work at today, it was amazing how many guys knew 28 grams = 1 ounce

but had no clue how many millimeters to the inch    :scratchhead:

I know 2.2lbs = 1 kg.  1 mile = .62 km. And usually just use 30cm in a foot as my WAG.   Essentially, I know it because it is how many cycling concepts are expressed like power to weight or distance in the TdF.  For anything else, I go to a calculator - but a pencil & paper would work in a pinch for the gram - ounce conversion or a shorter distance measurement.

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

And now you know 30 grams = 5 years.

I don't think that's true for folks not targeted by "the Man".  I'd probably get a stiff talking to and a ticket for some lesser offense.

I'm not sure what the latest is on Virginia legalizing pot, though.  It has to be approaching, but we still have out Southern part that drags us back into the 19th century.

Weird how the military in the 80's used the metric system for distance but not for anything else.  No clue in weight and measurements but I have a really good idea of distance conversion.

It was weird too when I was talking to the guy giving the 911 dispatcher info when his buddy ate sheot on his bike.  The dispatcher was asking for reference points and I started giving distances in meters?

We're up the hill about 50 meters from the road...  I remember thinking why I said it that way?

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Weird how the military in the 80's used the metric system for distance but not for anything else.  No clue in weight and measurements but I have a really good idea of distance conversion.

It was weird too when I was talking to the guy giving the 911 dispatcher when his buddy ate sheot on his bike.  The dispatcher was asking for reference points and I started giving distances in meters?

We're up the hill about 50 meters from the road...  I remember thinking why I said it that way?

Because the target designator behind your eyes saw it that way.

• Heart 1

26 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I don't think that's true for folks not targeted by "the Man".  I'd probably get a stiff talking to and a ticket for some lesser offense.

I'm not sure what the latest is on Virginia legalizing pot, though.  It has to be approaching, but we still have out Southern part that drags us back into the 19th century.

Up to 30 grams in Pittsburgh is a citation offense now, $100 and no jail, but over that I believe still puts you in the “intent to distribute” territory.

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Up to 30 grams in Pittsburgh is a citation offense now, $100 and no jail, but over that I believe still puts you in the “intent to distribute” territory.

It's been a long while but we also looked for packaging, scales, money & guns.  The amount wasn't the only factor.

I always estimate the grams to ounce thing as 1 ounce equals about 30 grams.  Easier for me to remember.  The only reason I learned this was that bike parts, like seats and handlebars, etc, are typically specified in grams and I really had no conception of what a gram weighed.

I was concerned when one bike seat was 60 grams heavier than another ?, but not so much when I found out that it was just 2 ounces.  ?

3 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I always estimate the grams to ounce thing as 1 ounce equals about 30 grams.  Easier for me to remember.  The only reason I learned this was that bike parts, like seats and handlebars, etc, are typically specified in grams and I really had no conception of what a gram weighed.

I was concerned when one bike seat was 60 grams heavier than another ?, but not so much when I found out that it was just 2 ounces.  ?

It’s easier to quarter at 28 grams. ?

• Haha 1