The house is closing next week

Dirtyhip

23 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I am ecstatic for you, it will be so nice to be done with everything!  Any last minute tenant problems?

A few problems.  The house was left messy, so we charged her for that.  They left a truckload worth of bark debris from them chopping wood over the years.  That took several hours to clean up and get rid of.  All the appliances were dirty.  The carpet was not shampooed.  Only one bath was cleaned.  We brought in a crew of professional cleaners to get it cleaned up.

They didn't do too much permanent damage to the house, but left stuff that costed labor.  We took all of their deposit to cover it.  The tenant was so off base in her thinking.  First, she asked for half of her deposit to be given back, before she moved out and did the final walk though.  Um, no.  Also, she harassed us telling us that she only expected to pay a small cleaning fee.  She complained that she has given us rent for 5 years (discounted rent), and she stated that she paid on time every month.  I said, "Well, rent has a due date.  That is when it is expected to be paid.  Also, the amount she paid in rent was reasonable for her USING the home.  This was after we chose to let her off of a week's worth of rent , after she neglected to get things done on the first move out date we had arranged.  Some people just take advantage of others.  

Things went relatively smoothly.  We received the offer about a week after the tenants moved out.   It could have been a lot worse.  When I refused to budge on legalities at the end of our relationship with the tenants (besides free rent for a week), she became angry and texted me over and over bitching and crying.  She could have gotten most of her deposit back, if she cleaned.  Her husband and her husband are lazy.  

Over the course of the last 11 years being landlords, we made some cash.  The tenants we had were decent.  The first tenants were a dream.  The house was spotless.  These second people were just dirty and lazy.  Also, I believe she was smoking in the house.  I found traces of smoke stains and a burn hole in the bathroom lino.  I believe she smoked under the bathroom fan, thinking she could get away with it.

34 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

She could have gotten most of her deposit back, if she cleaned.  Her husband and her husband are lazy.

I thought in most of polygamist marriages it was multiple wives.  She is probably just tired from having to make two sammiches and get two beers all the time.  You should have given her some of her deposit back.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I thought in most of polygamist marriages it was multiple wives.  She is probably just tired from having to make two sammiches and get two beers all the time.  You should have given her some of her deposit back.

LOL, I meant her and her husband.  Clearly, I am not reading what I type, before I hit reply.  GAH

• Haha 1