Paranoia run amuck

Road Runner

I am beginning to think my DIL is a little nutty.  Okay, I have been thinking this for a long time, but now that she is in charge of the baby, I'm afraid it is going to get much worse.  She won't let me or any of the relatives take pics of the baby.  My son has some on his phone, but he hasn't sent them to me yet.  I am thinking that she has told him not to.  So what if I post his pic on the internet?  As long as no name is attached, what is the big deal?  It's a baby!  All babies pretty much look the same!   :dontknow:

15 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I am beginning to think my DIL is a little nutty.  Okay, I have been thinking this for a long time, but now that she is in charge of the baby, I'm afraid it is going to get much worse.  She won't let me or any of the relatives take pics of the baby.  My son has some on his phone, but he hasn't sent them to me yet.  I am thinking that she has told him not to.  So what if I post his pic on the internet?  As long as no name is attached, what is the big deal?  It's a baby!  All babies pretty much look the same!   :dontknow:

My wife has a friend who refused to allow any of her newborn’s photos to go on social media. And has not allowed friends to visit for several months. The husband seems ok when we see him, sonlife at home must be fairly routine.... which is to suggest she’s a little strange at baseline.

• Heart 1

Perhaps she is just nervous about strangers knowing that she has a new baby.  People can be very protective, especially as the availability of news stories about kidnapped children is out there to drive the nervous over the edge.

On the other hand, maybe the baby looks like the mailman................

• Heart 1

Just now, maddmaxx said:

Perhaps she is just nervous about strangers knowing that she has a new baby.  People can be very protective, especially as the availability of news stories about kidnapped children is out there to drive the nervous over the edge.

Or maybe she has seen some of the stuff @Chris... does to photos?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

That seems a little over the top.  My BIL has twin boys about 2 YO now.  Mom is a bit weird about social media but does share pictures privately with family.  

When I was a youth coach we were discouraged from putting images of the kids with names as pedophiles could then identify kids by name based on the banner and try to lure them.  Never thought of that until then... 

28 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

New Mother syndrome?  

It's like this:  First baby, you are walking on eggshells about safety, cleanliness and perfection.  Second baby eats kibble out of the dog bowl and no one flinches.  

Uh well my first one got into the dog food and we learned from that so the second one wouldn't!  But yeah that's pretty much the case...

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Well, I could post the baby's name and the parent's names anyway, if that was what she is worried about.  I wouldn't do that of course, but she has issued no directive against that.  She has only specified that pics of the baby cannot be posted.  I can't see how simple, everyday baby images represent a threat to the baby or anyone else.  He looks just like a gazillion other babies!   :huh:

sorry to hear she is being that way... wonder if it has something to so with a mild form of separation anxiety after labor. 
I want you to get on the best camouflage you can find, sneak in there and get us a damn picture! You owe it to us for christ sake! 

• Heart 1

17 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

My wife has a friend who refused to allow any of her newborn’s photos to go on social media. And has not allowed friends to visit for several months. The husband seems ok when we see him, sonlife at home must be fairly routine.... which is to suggest she’s a little strange at baseline.

A coworker's son & DiL set up a private FB page to allow those invited to see pics. IIRC, one had to agree not to post pics online in order to be invited.

I think @goldendesign can provide a cautionary tale.

17 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

New Mother syndrome?  

It's like this:  First baby, you are walking on eggshells about safety, cleanliness and perfection.  Second baby eats kibble out of the dog bowl and no one flinches.  

I think that is how it is supposed to go now, although I don't think first time mothers were as nervous about everything 30 or more years ago.  Back then, the internet wasn't scaring every anxiety-susceptible mom about every tiny thing, and you relied on people you knew rather than some supposed guru or non-credentialed self-proclaimed expert online to provide advice.

First time moms quite often suck ass as mothers.

17 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Mom is a bit weird about social media but does share pictures privately with family.  

I think this is weird.  If you have your "friends" and your profile is private, nobody you don't know is going to see your pics.  The moral of the story is that your friend list should include actual friends and family and not every butthorn that you have ever met.

I actually haven't used bookface for quite awhile, and I haven't really missed it.  Maybe I will put up a few photos at years end, not sure.