Dash cams

jsharr

For some reason, getting a dash cam appeals to me.  Not sure why.  Would be a frivolous expense most likely, but in the event of a crash where one was not to blame, seems it would be nice to have.

Also would be nice for times like last week when Wade and I witnessed a crash, but it happened so fast that I was not sure of who hit who, but I gave the police what I felt to be a true statement.

Would have been nice to hand them a camera and say Here is what happened.

So, who here has one and what do you think of it?

2 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Like you, I've thought about it.

I see a lot of stupid she()t whilst out & about. I could post it here & boost my post count.

This.  I really think I want one, but it also just seems like something that says "hey, let's break in that car and take that".  I want one that does not appear to be there I guess.  I have seen some that mount to the back of the rear view mirror. 

We had a lot of yahoos tailgating us in our little car. So while deciding whether or not I wanted to spend big money for a premium one, I bought this little inexpensive one to mount in the back window. It works pretty OK for $30. But I only turned it on a few times. Who knew the yahoos would behave when they THINK they're on camera. ;)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/uniden-dc11-dash-cam-black/6292027.p?skuId=6292027&ref=212&loc=1&&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAuf7fBRD7ARIsACqb8w4o_J0ewpk-cltuETzq9oEfRK0FBdBsVqDd1Fk7COl8WNujBVzps_0aAtMAEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

cam.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, team scooter said:

We had a lot of yahoos tailgating us in our little car. So while deciding whether or not I wanted to spend big money for a premium one, I bought this little inexpensive one to mount in the back window. It works pretty OK for $30. But I only turned it on a few times. Who knew the yahoos would behave when they THINK they're on camera. ;)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/uniden-dc11-dash-cam-black/6292027.p?skuId=6292027&ref=212&loc=1&&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAuf7fBRD7ARIsACqb8w4o_J0ewpk-cltuETzq9oEfRK0FBdBsVqDd1Fk7COl8WNujBVzps_0aAtMAEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

cam.jpg

So based on this, just buy a broken one off ebay and stick it in the back window?

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

18 minutes ago, team scooter said:

cam.jpg

Now wait just a second - if you mounted it in the BACK window, shouldn't that be a picture of the back of the driver and passengers' heads?  I think you're trying to trick us!

2 hours ago, 12string said:

Now wait just a second - if you mounted it in the BACK window, shouldn't that be a picture of the back of the driver and passengers' heads?  I think you're trying to trick us!

Lol, I should post this on the Miata forum. While the "purists" barely except my retractable fastback as a "pure" Miata, they'll spit nails when someone merely mentions the satellite "shark fin" antenna on the trunk lid. :runcirclsmiley:

20181129_152207.jpg

1 hour ago, team scooter said:

cam.jpg

Dummy cam.

3 minutes ago, team scooter said:

Lol, I should post this on the Miata forum. While the "purists" barely except my retractable fastback as a "pure" Miata, they'll spit nails when someone merely mentions the satellite "shark fin" antenna on the trunk lid. :runcirclsmiley:

You didn't come to a complete stop at the sign!

51 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

I have one.. well sort of.... It's a GoPro on my helmet.. least it proves people driving vehicles are assholes.

1543527530396780207919268373999.jpg

A friend of mine's son had a GoPro helmet cam when he was in an accident. He had serious injuries but survived with extensive rehab. The video shows him going underneath the truck, barely missing the tires as the camera pops off. His father found it in the roadside vegetation the next day. The video contradicted everything the 20 something driver told the police and supported by the passenger. They did not just enter the highway from a nearby dirt road accelerating to highway speed, but came around the curve at a high rate of speed, losing control and crossing into the motorcycle's lane where he intentionally laid the bike down. The father shared the video with the highway patrol and they were arrested.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

A friend of mine's son had a GoPro helmet cam when he was in an accident. He had serious injuries but survived with extensive rehab. The video shows him going underneath the truck, barely missing the tires as the camera pops off. His father found it in the roadside vegetation the next day. The video contradicted everything the 20 something driver told the police and supported by the passenger. They did not just enter the highway from a nearby dirt road accelerating to highway speed, but came around the curve at a high rate of speed, losing control and crossing into the motorcycle's lane where he intentionally laid the bike down. The father shared the video with the highway patrol and they were arrested.

Video speaks a lot more then someone's false story.. 

I had a guy swerve numerous times into my lane while texting. At a stoplight I politely told him to hang up his phone and drive.. he told me to worry about me and not him as he called me names. I politely said FU Wich pissed him off more. He opened his door screaming he was going to kick my ass. I kicked his door shut when it was half open. The car in front of him moved when the light turned and he swearved infront of me trying to hit my tire.. he missed...

I then told him we can talk about this in the Walgreens parking lot.. knowing he could not uturn that truck fast enough and I can keep driving by. Yup.. he pulled in and I kept going on my way home. 

I took the footage to the cops and explained the situation.. they told me it was all hearsay, and if they watch the video tape they can arrest me for doing something wrong. I called BS on it and tried to leave.. two cops tried harassing me on the way to the parking lot to my motorcycle so they can run my license plate number because I refuse to give them my name so they can run it through their system. That night I called the highway patrol office, and they sent out an officer to view the tape. They also viewed the recording from inside the police station when my helmet cam was still going.

Before I knew it they had two highway patrol officers at the police station giving them a what for, and one officer on the way to the guy's house to arrest him. I have perfect footage of what the guy look like the side of his work truck and also verbalized with the license plate number was on the tape.

Personally people like that should not be allowed on the road. There were the ones they get the motorcyclist killed

I have one. Started out using a GoPro as a dash cam in the truck. Took good quality video, but had to rig it to run on vehicle power rather than the battery. Also had to clear the card every day because it doesn't loop.

Got a cheap one off ebay that worked for a while, but the video quality sucked, and it finally gave up the ghost.

My current one is a Garmin, and it works great. It time stamps the video, as well as showing the current speed and grid co-ordinates. All from satellite data, 

When people ask me why I use it, I say, eye witnesses lie, the camera don't.

I recorded every km we traveled on our vacation in Portugal in September. This is a sample.

The time is set to GMT -5 so the local time was about 08.40