Jump to content

It is getting cold, and I am beginning to crave burgers


Randomguy
 Share

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, No One said:

...what's the average price for one of those, 30 bucks ?

The first one pictured is $17, but I want to try their $15 burger eventually.  The second one is $26, and it is making a lot of noise and is near the top on pretty much all the 'top burgers in NYC' lists.  The third pictured (the patty melt) is also at $17, and looks amazing to me.  I don't know the prices of the others, and don't feel like looking them up, but I expect them to be in the $14-24 range.  You have to keep in mind that these are considered excellent eating and are not the average burger, which you can find for around $12 or so.

The best burger I have ever had (and it was life changing) is not pictured.  It is the Minetta Tavern Black Label burger, now a ridiculous $33, although I had it when it was 'only' $26. maybe 8 or 9  or 10 years ago.  You can read about it here, but I promise you that even reading the whole article will disturb your sleep and make you crave this burger like a zombie craves brains.  This is the burger I would advise anyone looking to find a be all/end all kind of thing for any food group, a true unassailable apex of burger creation. 

  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I don't eat burgers anymore, but if I did, I think I would like to try no. 5.   :)

I don't really eat them now, either, not until I am employed and can catch up on things quite a bit.  I really do want them all, though.  Why have you stopped, btw?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I used to eat mostly romaine. :(

 

Romaine will be back soon.  Shipping and restocking the stores after they threw everything out will take awhile.  That's why I saved the bag I bought the day before the scare.  :)

I'm having Romaine tonight.  Late dinner after coming home from the hospital....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I was on a low fat diet for years.  I gave up burgers and really don't miss them.  I still eat one now and again, but mostly I eat chicken these days.

It is funny, I don't miss burgers until I do, then I start a run on them.  If I get the taste and eat one, I will want another 5 in the next two weeks or so, then it might be months until I crave them again.  When I have a good one, though, I really feel good the next day, generally speaking.  I think nature tells me when it is time for vital nutrients I am not getting from other sources.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, petitepedal said:

Mmmm Monday is Barley John's...last time I had the burger..no bun and a salad instead of fries...I can do this again!!

 

Hot sauce on the burger will get you going, too!  I have given up on fries, the reflux is just too bad from them.  I remember loving that salad there, I can't remember what they call it, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Prophet Zacharia said:

I struggle with paying more than $17 for a burger, now way I could do $33. I can make a killer burger for way less, which I prefer to do.

You are right, you can get a pound of meat and make a really good burger or two for way less and have all the cash left, no denying it.  That said, if you ever are in NYC on an expense account or a splurge meal, it is money well spent.   Really hard to describe how amazingly good that burger is.  It is better than a lot of reputable steak house steaks is the way I might put it.  

Your life won't end if you don't have one, but if you are a burger maniac and like to try things, then once in a lifetime might be worth it to you.  At the end of the day, though, it really is hard to justify that much for a burger, however much elevated it is.  But damn, I haven't stopped thinking about it after almost a decade later.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Your life won't end if you don't have one, but if you are a burger maniac and like to try things, then once in a lifetime might be worth it to you.  

...I think I might be this way about ramen houses and Vietnamese pho places. Fortunately for me, in this town and even down in Frantic Frisco, they all average out at 8-12 dollars for an enormous bowl of soup, noodles, and the other good stuff they toss in there. Right now we're in the spicy winter versions, which often contain pork and fish balls.  There was one place that had a killer bowl of Bun Bo Hue, with blood cubes in the original style for about 9 bucks, and it was right near my gym. After a couple of years the blood cubes disappeared, and the flavoring and spices got much more bland and white bread. :(:(:(:(

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, No One said:

...I think I might be this way about ramen houses and Vietnamese pho places. Fortunately for me, in this town and even down in Frantic Frisco, they all average out at 8-12 dollars for an enormous bowl of soup, noodles, and the other good stuff they toss in there. Right now we're in the spicy winter versions, which often contain pork and fish balls.  There was one place that had a killer bowl of Bun Bo Hue, with blood cubes in the original style for about 9 bucks, and it was right near my gym. After a couple of years the blood cubes disappeared, and the flavoring and spices got much more bland and white bread. :(:(:(:(

The thought of fish swimming around without their balls makes me feel sad and a little angry.  How are they going to lead a normal life knowing that something precious has been taken from them to cook in noodles?  How are the lady fish going to want to flirt with them?  It is enough to turn one into a vegan, if one lived in Boston.

  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Romaine will be back soon.  Shipping and restocking the stores after they threw everything out will take awhile.  That's why I saved the bag I bought the day before the scare.  :)

I'm having Romaine tonight.  Late dinner after coming home from the hospital....

So you feel lucky, punk? :D

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I struggle with paying more than $17 for a burger, now way I could do $33. I can make a killer burger for way less, which I prefer to do.

Anything over $10 is a lot for a burger. I understand a couple bucks for adding on certain fixins & such, but its just a burger ? Personally I like a good juicy burger from a local bar, which are around $6 near me. And are much better IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Anything over $10 is a lot for a burger. I understand a couple bucks for adding on certain fixins & such, but its just a burger ? Personally I like a good juicy burger from a local bar, which are around $6 near me. And are much better IMO.

Best burger I have had is at Bend Burger.  It was about 24 bucks for 2 burgers a side and drinks.  That seemed like a lot for my tastes.  It was good, but really this is just a burger.  Potatoes are cheap too, so this is a place we do not go to very often.  Our usual dining place is a little taco place.  We can get a decent meal for about 13 bucks.  I know the owners and it feels like a welcoming little hole in the wall place.  They speak Spanish to me, and I muddle through a mix of Italian and Spanish with them (learning Spanish first has been interesting with adding the Italian...I am having trouble with pronunciation).  They speak English, of course.  However, it is fun to try and speak a romance language.  They appreciate me trying.  Shirely, they laugh at me, after I leave. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I know the owners and it feels like a welcoming little hole in the wall place. 

This is awesome. I hang out at a couple local restaurants a mile from my home. I know the owner of one, and the staff at both very well. It feels like hanging at home :) And the locals are great too. Always a good time of joking around & such. And its convenient to ride the fat bike there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

This is awesome. I hang out at a couple local restaurants a mile from my home. I know the owner of one, and the staff at both very well. It feels like hanging at home :) And the locals are great too. Always a good time of joking around & such. And its convenient to ride the fat bike there.

It is within riding distance, like most things here.  

We went there a couple nights ago.  I said see you later, and they yelled back see you tomorrow.  ?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

It is within riding distance, like most things here.  

We went there a couple nights ago.  I said see you later, and they yelled back see you tomorrow.  ?

the place I go on Monday night has 50 cent wings & dollar ribs & 2 dollar beers. I don't have to order....she knows what I get :D Couple weeks ago about 20 of us from the bike club went there for taco tuesday...was a great time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

the place I go on Monday night has 50 cent wings & dollar ribs & 2 dollar beers. I don't have to order....she knows what I get :D Couple weeks ago about 20 of us from the bike club went there for taco tuesday...was a great time.

I would love that place!

In Boulder I would go to a big college bar because they had a student special.  A burger, fries or salad, and a beer for $5.99.  It is for the college students, but I have an undated student ID from years ago, it doesn't have a picture on it, either.  It always worked, so I would go in once a week or so and have it.  Not gourmet, but a good bar burger, and a hell of a deal.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

Anything over $10 is a lot for a burger. I understand a couple bucks for adding on certain fixins & such, but its just a burger ? Personally I like a good juicy burger from a local bar, which are around $6 near me. And are much better IMO.

Yeah, I agree, although price creep and specialty burgers have pushed the price point to where I expect to pay $12 and won’t storm out at $15, and on rare occasions will justify the $17 burger. My mother tells me a can of Coke was $0.05 in her childhood, so I fear the $8 burger is going the way of the dodo bird and is becoming my mother’s can of coke.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Yeah, I agree, although price creep and specialty burgers have pushed the price point to where I expect to pay $12 and won’t storm out at $15, and on rare occasions will justify the $17 burger. My mother tells me a can of Coke was $0.05 in her childhood, so I fear the $8 burger is going the way of the dodo bird and is becoming my mother’s can of coke.

True, but the chain/trendy places charge more. A one-off local place will make the same burger w/ the same ingredients for a 1/3 of the price. If anything, the chain should be cheaper for the volume they purchase. But they have more overhead, many corporate positions and high rent because of their locations.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...