California building codes

Chris...

Just now, Chris... said:

Are they really bad? Whenever my wife watches flip or flop on HGTV they always have to do some whacky shit because of some code violation. In Illinois when you remodel a home you don’t have to adhere to current building codes. 

I'm gonna say yes based on our kitchen remodel.  It was done in such a way as to not mess with any permits nor inspections and still meet codes. Basically we had to work with existing electrical and structural design.

The contractor made a point of saying we want to avoid pulling permits if at all possible.

10 minutes ago, Chris... said:

In Illinois when you remodel a home you don’t have to adhere to current building codes. 

That depends on the city or county. Over here in Belleville or St. Clair county if you get a permit, they will inspect and it better be up to code. In fact if you sell your house, it has to be up to many of the codes. There are a few exceptions.

21 minutes ago, Chris... said:

Are they really bad? Whenever my wife watches flip or flop on HGTV they always have to do some whacky shit because of some code violation. In Illinois when you remodel a home you don’t have to adhere to current building codes. 

Oh by the way that show is done in my neck of the woods. Several of the remodels were done in my city.  Tarek's new house post split is just a few miles from me.

10 hours ago, ChrisL said:

The contractor made a point of saying we want to avoid pulling permits if at all possible.

Pennsylvania requires a permit and inspections for everything. It’s nothing but a money grab by greedy state government. Our contractor when we replaced our back deck was afraid to do it without a permit because he would lose his license if caught. We live in the middle of nowhere. My house was built without a permit by the former owner. You can’t lose your license if you don’t have one. They even want you to buy a permit to replace your hot water tank.