There are 64 million tootsie rolls produced each day. I find this very hard to believe.

Randomguy

Tootsie Roll Industries (name adopted in 1966) is one of the largest candy manufacturers in the world. Approximately 64 million Tootsie Rolls are made daily.[8]

According to the company website, the original recipe calls for the inclusion of the previous day's batch, a graining process that continues to this day. "As such, there's (theoretically) a bit of Leo's very first Tootsie Roll in every one of the sixty four million Tootsie Rolls that Tootsie produces each day."[9]

• Awesome 1

Wikipedia really feels like our inner voices, which in turn sound a lot like Rick Henderson of Pawn Stars - constantly 'splaining everyday shit. :D

We all yearn for explanation, which must be why Ricky was always asking Lucy to do some 'splaining. :D

(Andt thank you for the fun fact, RG!  Just one less thing we have to wonder aboot now. :) )

(I am still wondering why sometimes the Graemlin keyboard shortcuts expand and sometimes they don't. :( )

10 hours ago, parodybot said:

I would imagine that is all the products they make, including Tootsie Roll, Tootsie Pop, Charms Blow Pop, Mason Dots, Andes, Sugar Daddy,Charleston Chew, Dubble Bubble, Razzles, Caramel Apple Pop, Junior Mints, Cella's Chocolate-Covered Cherries, and Nik-L-Nip.

I imagine that those last ones are @Randomguy's favorites

I don't think so, they said it twice.  That would end up being 23 billion three hundred sixty million tootsie rolls per year.  Seems like an exaggeration to me, there are not enough halloweens to make that level of distribution fly.

I have never seen a Nik L Nip, but I guarantee I would get one if I saw it!

So in just the USA alone, that means 1 in 5 people have only 1 per day. I don’t know how international Tootsie Roll is. That would dilute the number. Also, you have people who eat multiple per day. 

I don’t buy them, but if someone hands me one, I’ll usually eat it. They keep a bucket of them at the front counter of Planet Fitness (go figure!). I don’t think I have ever taken one in the 2 years they have been here. 

10 hours ago, groupw said:

They keep a bucket of them at the front counter of Planet Fitness (go figure!)

That does sound pretty eville!  But I would think they are incentivized to have you eat well so you need less workout, but I guess they figure you will get fat and give up exercise and stay home. :D

You have a ton more willpower than me, groupw!

On 11/29/2018 at 10:44 PM, Randomguy said:

Tootsie Roll Industries (name adopted in 1966) is one of the largest candy manufacturers in the world. Approximately 64 million Tootsie Rolls are made daily.[8]

According to the company website, the original recipe calls for the inclusion of the previous day's batch, a graining process that continues to this day. "As such, there's (theoretically) a bit of Leo's very first Tootsie Roll in every one of the sixty four million Tootsie Rolls that Tootsie produces each day."[9]

Of course, they make all the candies so much smaller today (probably a good dietary thing) that it's the equivalent of making 1 million a day in the 50's!

It's amazing how fast the machinery churns out candies! I saw that when I went through the Boyer factory in Altoona, PA, where they make Mallo Cups, while visiting relatives in my father's hometown. It was one of my childhood favorite candies.

The visit occurred during Operation Desert Storm, where my future brother-in-law was stationed in Saudi Arabia as a tank driver in the U.S. Army's 1st Armored Cavalry - which later led the "Hail Mary Attack" into Iraq - and the Mallo Cup was and is his favorite candy.  So I bought and paid Boyer to ship to him a box of 60 Mallo Cups, listing my sister's name as the gift giver. They said since it was going to a soldier in a war zone, they'd wouldn't charge for shipping! He soon received the box and wrote my sister how much he appreciated her sending it.  To this day, I've never told him different.

When we consider the totality of the explanation originally provided, we can easily see there is room to fudge in the numbers. It may be indisputable that 64,000,000 are produced every day but it is also apparent that it is possible that 63,999,999 Tootsie Rolls are being recycled daily. This leaves us with the undeniable conclusion that only 1 Tootsie Roll is sold every day.