Because I am so tired and hungry, I am now craving diner breakfast food

Randomguy

I used to go to a place that would serve you two eggs, toast, hash browns, and a cup of coffee or tea for $4.55.  That was in 2012.  For an extra buck, they would fry in green peppers and onions with the hash browns.  I would get the tea, but it was Lipton, and it fit the meal perfectly.   Everything else on the menu was priced higher by a fair bit.

Damn it was good!  Now I want diner food.

• Heart 1

...our recent discussion about the disappearance of well made corned beef hash got me hungry for some, so I bought a corned beef brisket at Costco earlier in the week, slow simmered it to perfection, made cole slaw and a couple of Reuben sandwiches from it early on, and have now been eating the remainder, shredded into grated russet potatoes and onions chopped fine. With a couple of soft eggs on top, it has made this a memorable week for breakfast in a house that has great respect for that particular meal.......even if I often eat it at noon or 1 pm. 

The trick to good corned beef hash is to crisp it up on the outside. And the best way to do that is the venerable greasy spoon diner trick of frying it in a generous amount of oil.......something with a high smoking point like Canola. You can over easy the eggs in a separate pan, poach them if you want to be totally authentic, or just break them open on top of the hash patty in the pan, and use a lid to capture enough steam and heat to poach them in place. I ate this around noon, after spending the morning rounding up leaves. (Unlike @Square Wheels, I have the time to do my own leaves, so I do.)

Buy and cook yourself a brisket. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Thanks for putting diner breakfast in my head. We have a local "Double T Diner" and occasionally go there as a group for dinner, but not breakfast. Ours is not especially cheap but the food is really good.

After checking out their 24-hour menu, The next time I'm going somewhere early with friends, relatives, or nephews, I'm going to suggest going there!  They have 16 different pancakes dishes, 13 egg dishes - not including the 16 different omelettes and the 5 different eggs benedict (love that Hollandaise Sauce!), plus various combinations, cereals, oatmeals, etc. Their prices are in the same ballpark as the Denny's I usually pick when going out for breakfast. Here's some of it:

1983138558_Breakfastgallery.JPG.b169a3db64b8b3c888efc0734500e663.JPG

1624512598_Breakfastmenupartial.JPG.63de667ea01b0e2de59c6842b0733eba.JPG

1447650141_Breakfastmenupartial2.thumb.JPG.2ed38ac7c28c04a6b1b08f1ef63d3654.JPG