Do you take lunch?

Prophet Zacharia

As in, a lunch break during work? 30 minutes or longer where you do nothing but eat, relax, socialize, net surf, bathroom, errands, etc. Anything but a work-related activity?

I don’t. I eat at my desk, working (and net surfing) as I go. Almost never go out for food, and even if I go to the cafeteria, i’ll Bring it back to my office. Gets me home sooner.

When I worked I had a twenty minute “break” every hour. It started out as a break and they kept thinking up more stuff for us to do on our “break”. I started taking my break first and coming back five minutes early to do “stuff”. They asked why stuff didn’t get done. I told them I ran out of time. They cut back on the amount of stuff. We didn’t even have to get the union involved.

Yes.  I eat at my desk quite a bit, but I will take a lunch break.   Work 8:30ish to 5:30ish most days with a working lunch.   I will sometimes eat at the cafe in the building and take a book to read, esp if the day or week is crazy and I need a break.  I do not often leave the building once I am here. I tend to do this when it is really stressful and then I go out and comfort eat, which is not good.

11 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

As in, a lunch break during work? 30 minutes or longer where you do nothing but eat, relax, socialize, net surf, bathroom, errands, etc. Anything but a work-related activity?

I don’t. I eat at my desk, working (and net surfing) as I go. Almost never go out for food, and even if I go to the cafeteria, i’ll Bring it back to my office. Gets me home sooner.

I have to take an hour.  Usually, I go work out.  Then, I quickly scarf my lunch.  Sometimes, I eat at my desk, because I use the entire hour to workout or ride.

25 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

When I worked I had a twenty minute “break” every hour. It started out as a break and they kept thinking up more stuff for us to do on our “break”. I started taking my break first and coming back five minutes early to do “stuff”. They asked why stuff didn’t get done. I told them I ran out of time. They cut back on the amount of stuff. We didn’t even have to get the union involved.

Was that a heat break? I'ma thinking if it wasn't a true break, then the company was within its rights to have you do something else. Dunno what they expected you to get done in 20 minutes, though.

When I was working I had a half hour to eat.  Usually I worked right through it because I could really grab a bit of my sandwich anytime.  Every now and then however I would take a 15 min power nap.  I would chose to do this when people who should have known better began to expect me to be working through lunch.

35 minutes ago, 12string said:

yeah, I do that.  But if it's no different than what I do for the other 8 hours, do I still get to call it a lunch break?

No. In order for it to be a lunch break it needs to be 1) Lunch and 2) distinctly different than your other work hour activities.

i don’t really have set hours. I come in at the same time, then go home whenever I am done what needs to be done that day. (I am available at home, and do work from home, but don’t feel I need to be in the office beyond what I need to do in person). A lunch break would only slow up my availability to leave.

7 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I am lucky if I get a bathroom break and never lunch unless it is a meeting where it is served. 

Our meetings now have to be 2 hours or longer and go over the 12-1 pm hour to qualify for a served lunch. Most meetings which were awesome for lunch now start at 12:30 to avoid serving food.