A whole lot of shaking going on

maddmaxx

My sister-in-law and her husband are OK - broken dishes and stuff; I don't think they've evaluated the house yet.  They're waiting to get their daughter from school - lots of roads damaged.  They just had a lot of work done on the house this summer.  (edit - their daughter is home)

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

Desks and not tables. Tables crumbling under falling debris. Doorways better in my view.

Doorways really are not recommended and we don't train to do it. ( I train emergency preparedness for our company). The main cause of injury & death is falling objects, bookcases & such.

Drop & cover is the catch phrase.

• Heart 1

I've only ever felt one Earthquake, several years back.  We never got earthquakes until fracking began in the Mid Atlantic and the one we felt around Baltimore originated in central Virginia - near a fracking operation.  My sister, a nurse at Johns Hopkins Hospital, felt a few shock waves.  I, at home, felt just one.  It was as if a big truck had slammed into the house and knocked it off its foundation as I rocked back and forth once.  Fortunately there was no damage because the fracking company wasn't going to pay a cent.

17 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I've only ever felt one Earthquake, several years back.  We never got earthquakes until fracking began in the Mid Atlantic and the one we felt around Baltimore originated in central Virginia - near a fracking operation.  My sister, a nurse at Johns Hopkins Hospital, felt a few shock waves.  I, at home, felt just one.  It was as if a big truck had slammed into the house and knocked it off its foundation as I rocked back and forth once.  Fortunately there was no damage because the fracking company wasn't going to pay a cent.

My MIL used to worry about earthquakes when she would visit.  Then the one you mentioned hit which was really close to her and did a fair amount of damage.  She used to call my wife every time there was an earthquake on the news.  There was an earthquake are you OK!!!  Uh we had an earthquake?

The magnitude is important of course but a much smaller earthquake centered near you can feel much worse.  I was on top of the epicenter if a 5.4 and I thought the building was gonna come down.  Northridge was bad but it was too far away to do any real damage in my area.

• Heart 1