Luck, Karma, or hard work?

Square Wheels

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

On the drive home, I joked, how cool it would be if the leaves magically disappeared before I got home.

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

That director no longer works for us as of June, and I was made interim director. 

...the most creative solution would have been to hire the old director to rake your leaves.  I consult for people just like you.:flirtyeyess:

• Heart 1

On 11/30/2018 at 4:40 PM, Square Wheels said:

We had a challenging director

I love the way you spelled asshole.  It’s hard to come up with a good word to fill in the blank to describe someone like that. You did well. I worked for a guy with an extremely abrasive personality. He never realized he brought most of his problems on himself. I also like that saying: “The harder I work the luckier I get”.

• Awesome 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chris... said:

I don’t rake leaves. It’s an exercise in futility. 

....I was just discussing this with my wife.  I was a little tired yesterday, and blamed "too much time on the wrong end of a leaf blower."

She responded, "Is there a right end and a wrong end?"  So of course I needed to explain how I really enjoy watching all the recently fallen leaves dancing with joy on their way to the pile. This is where they will be reunited with all their close friends and acquaintances from where they lived on the tree. They seem pretty happy to me, so that's the end you want to be on.  Anyway, that's why I do it. :)

• Heart 3

My friend just told me I was a lucky bastard.  Well, that may be true but I also know that good luck doesn't follow complacency.  I was reassigned to a new team and literally didn't go into work for almost 2+ months.  Yesterday I got my reassignment and also was informed that my salary was to be adjusted by 7% because my mothership was informed that we were getting underpaid in the Seattle market.  Well none of that would have happened if I hadn't thrown myself into the company beforehand and made myself valuable.  They held onto me because I was valuable -- something that I had to earn.  And the raise simply occurred because -- in my view -- they lost some really good talent that left for other companies.  Sure, the timing was 'lucky' because I had 2+ months of paid time off and the results of the market survey were implemented at the exact same time.  So yes, I get lucky -- even unlucky -- but I also believe in probabilities.

• Awesome 1

6 hours ago, No One said:

...does this mean you can afford to buy meat now ? :huh:

I sure hope so, we don't want you to fall ill from lack of nutrition!

Today for breakfast I had a mostly vegetarian breakfast, except for the bone broth.  And the butter.  The rest was oatmeal with an added diced apple and frozen blueberries.  Oh, and tea.

I'm still waiting on my neighbor's maple tree to finish dropping its leaves.  Then I will get out the mower and mulch up what ends up in my yard.  The last mowing (mulching) of the year.

With global warming, the maple is about 2-3 weeks behind schedule.  Years ago, my maples were always done before Thanksgiving.   

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I sure hope so, we don't want you to fall ill from lack of nutrition!

Today for breakfast I had a mostly vegetarian breakfast, except for the bone broth.  And the butter.  The rest was oatmeal with an added diced apple and frozen blueberries.  Oh, and tea.

8 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I'm still waiting on my neighbor's maple tree to finish dropping its leaves.  Then I will get out the mower and mulch up what ends up in my yard.  The last mowing (mulching) of the year.

Couldn’t you just blow your neighbor’s leaves back over to his yard?

4 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

With global warming, ours were all covered with snow before the county could pick them up at the curb.

Our pickup started on aboot November 1 or late October and goes all the way through the end of December.  No word yet on if it will continue into January.  The )(*&^% Bradford Pears are extremely retentive aboot their leaves so they are the holdouts.  The maples had enough sense to drop them already.

9 hours ago, Road Runner said:

With global warming, the maple is about 2-3 weeks behind schedule.  Years ago, my maples were always done before Thanksgiving.   

Too bad webby isn’t around. He could tell you how to get the neighbor’s tree to stop dropping leaves. I miss webgod.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Me too!  Only he would think to mix ammonia and bleach for that little extra cleaning action. :D That one had me rolling on the floor. :D

I liked when he bought new race wheels and hoped she didn’t notice. Then he posted a picture of where he hid them, over the bed.

• Haha 1

Usually hard work is required before the Karma and Good Luck can be of any value.

I often told my gifted and talented high school students that getting a great job often requires luck, but you usually need to have the right set of skills to exploit that luck when it happens - and there are times in life when good luck does occur. So make sure you build the appropriate skills for what you want to do with your life!

I never got into Karma: some kid's mother would end up complaining to the Board of Ed. or the Principle that I was teaching religion!

On 12/2/2018 at 10:37 AM, Prophet Zacharia said:

Winners make their own luck.

Blah, blah, blah, blah...

This is such bullshit, and is repeated all the time.  You simply cannot manufacture luck, plus why is it that when everyone talks about luck, they actually only mean good luck?

For instance, what if you are 'winner' who makes their own luck' but it is bad luck?   "He is great guy, always making luck all on his own.  Why just this afternoon, he was t-boned in the intersection and almost died.  Lucky bastard".

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

This is such bullshit, and is repeated all the time.  You simply cannot manufacture luck, plus why is it that when everyone talks about luck, they actually only mean good luck?

For instance, what if you are 'winner' who makes their own luck' but it is bad luck?   "He is great guy, always making luck all on his own.  Why just this afternoon, he was t-boned in the intersection and almost died.  Lucky bastard".

Not when you start with the outcome that you’ve won. Then you retrace the steps that got you there, and see how the “luck” was influenced by previous decisions and efforts made.

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

It's amazing when you just sit back and listen to people.  The people with a positive outlook on life are always the "luckiest".

52 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

It's amazing when you just sit back and listen to people.  The people with a positive outlook on life are always the "luckiest".

Not true.  At the very least a matter of perspective.  Some people with the very worst luck have the most positive perspectives.  Some people with great luck have the worst.  

Again, not true at all.

56 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Then change the wording to 'good fortune' and quit being such a schmuck.

<self reported for name calling>

Tell that to the other guy that was calling preparation and legwork 'luck' to conform to some narrative that sounds ok until you examine it. 

Just now, Randomguy said:

Not true.  At the very least a matter of perspective.  Some people with the very worst luck have the most positive perspectives.  Some people with great luck have the worst.  

Again, not true at all.

OK, just because you say it again and again doesn't make it true.

For the record, I don't believe in luck.  Well, actually I do, because it's the same thing as random, and for the most part, random does exist.

I do believe you can control your life to an extent.  I don't smoke, I exercise, I eat well.  Will I die?  Of course.  Will I die a premature death?  Possibly.  Is that luck?  not at all.

3 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

What it means is that losers should stop feeling sorry for themselves.

No it doesn't, not at all.  What it does is vilify those who are 'not winners' making their own luck, or to elevate some perspective that their own good luck is somehow 'earned'. 

Luck is luck.  Not luck is not luck.

20 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

OK, just because you say it again and again doesn't make it true.

See, that is just it.  Just because some dummy started telling you that you would get cramps if you swam within 30 minutes of eating and every other yokel out there repeated it like religion until until believed, it was simply never true.  And the non-crampers?  Why, they were just winners who were just lucky they didn't cramp up and drown, so they must have created that luck themselves.

Random does exist, but you don't make your own luck because you avoided cancer or arthritis or somesuch, but you can stack the deck in your favor by eating well and exercising.  You just can't rule it out because you did the right thing, it can still find you.  Are you still making your own luck if you eat well and exercise but still get cancer?  I guess that would make someone a non-winner somehow.  

A week ago, Baker Mayfield was a winner who made his own luck in beating up on the beaten-up Bengals.  This Sunday, he wasn't a winner because he didn't make his own luck, right?  I bet his preparation was identical, but what changed?  They played a better team with the right preparation, and the better team won when they played a worse team, even though the preparation may have been spot on.