Godspeed Mr. President

jsharr

I frequently disagreed with his political positions, but I always felt he was a good person. I came to respect him even more after he left office. The removal of the political shackles was liberating for him. He became a great elder statesman when he wasn’t beholden to party. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

@groupw

I agree. I was too young to be entirely cognizant of his presidency. I knew that some of his policies helped plant closures in Detroit so my father lost his job and is our house. It affected me, but I also only became aware of how policies and politics work until later.

I think most presidents are good people and after office they have the chance to do things they were restricted from while in office. President Bush was one of those. I respect highly the man he presented after office and am saddened by his passing.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, jsharr said:

a sad day

He lived a great life.  He was an aviator in WWII, became a millionaire at age 40, served in the House and Senate, served two terms as Vice President, one term as President and most importantly, seems to have had a wonderful family life with successful children and a loving wife of 73 years.  It doesn't get much better than that. 

I think it is not a sad day, but a good day to remember and appreciate.   :)

• Heart 2

12 hours ago, jsharr said:

George H W. Bush has died.  Great man and a sad day.

When I voted for him in 1988, I thought he was the most well-trained person in history for the job: WW2 fighter pilot, businessman, Congressman, Ambassador, CIA director, Vice President, etc. - he had experience in so many sectors of federal government and private enterprise that he had a very clear understanding of how they operated.

I wasn't entirely pleased with the results, but those details are not for this forum.  I liked many of the things he did after his Presidency.

The main thing is that I thought he was a truthful, ethical man, who was a competent leader and I'm sad over his passing.

I liked the man.  I admire strong families...and he lead one.  Or co-lead.

He certainly knew how to prosecute a war properly.  A lesson that his three immediate successors should have learned....but didn't.

He was also at least a little bit naive.  Brought down by two separate three word phrases...

• Heart 2

George H W used to like to go jogging with the troops when he was VP.  Went on a couple of runs with him and shook his hand once. Seemed like a good dude and we were impressed he could hang on the runs for an old dude. I  Wasn't too pleased when he (as Commander & Chief) recalled my ass back into military service but I got over it.  

• Heart 1